PDA

View Full Version : After the first oil change...

natethegreat38
10-28-2008, 11:41 AM
I still don't have enough miles on my car to have had the first oil change yet, but I heard that your mpg/ FE will improve slightly/dramatically once I get it changed for the first time...

Can you please share your experience?? Can you confirm/deny this?? :thumbsup:

b_hickman11
10-28-2008, 12:16 PM
I have 2 Yaris's and neither one of them got an increase after the 1st oil change. Of course I have never got less than 36 mpg in either one of them.

ChinoCharles
10-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Switch to synthetic and you'll see a little extra bump.

natethegreat38
10-28-2008, 01:40 PM
how much "little extra" ?? Does it justify the cost of the oil??

ChinoCharles
10-28-2008, 01:42 PM
I saw 1-2 MPG. That isn't why you should be using synthetic, though. You should use synthetic because it is better for your engine and gives it a chance to last longer.

SpaceShot
10-28-2008, 03:33 PM
I noticed a 1.5 Mpg increase, after the first change and putting in Mobil 0W syn. But I also got a similar increase from a K&N filter, and from adjusting the tires from 28 to 42psi.

I can't prove if it was the oil, engine break-in, or just my habits adjusting to the new ride. Good news is that for a number of reasons, your MPG should increase by some measurable amount in the first year.

I did see a short lived increase after the second change (120+ mi/day adds up) but my situation changed and I added a carpool mate 2 days week which lowered my average a similar amount.

With the same car but at the opposite end of the country I am getting 40 - 42, with a high of 44. Weekend driving and other things slightly change my results from tank to tank, and "your results may vary..."

Tamago
10-28-2008, 03:43 PM
you should always change your oil the first time before 3000 miles.. that's break-in oil inside your engine and it needs to come out after 1000miles..

natethegreat38
10-28-2008, 03:59 PM
you should always change your oil the first time before 3000 miles.. that's break-in oil inside your engine and it needs to come out after 1000miles..

Wouldn't Toyota recommend that I have the oil changed before 3k miles then? If it will prolong the life of their produce, you'd think that they would mention this...

Tamago
10-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Wouldn't Toyota recommend that I have the oil changed before 3k miles then? If it will prolong the life of their produce, you'd think that they would mention this...

common sense tells you that toyota does NOT want their product to last forever, then who would buy parts for repair?

dealers make more money fixing cars then selling cars ;)

natethegreat38
10-28-2008, 04:22 PM
True that Toyota doesn't want their engines to last forever, but common sense also tells you that they don't want sludge (or break-in oil) in their engines either. They didn't build a reputation of being dependable by fixing cars, they built their reputation by manufacturing cars that required little service. ;)

Tamago
10-28-2008, 04:32 PM
True that Toyota doesn't want their engines to last forever, but common sense also tells you that they don't want sludge (or break-in oil) in their engines either. They didn't build a reputation of being dependable by fixing cars, they built their reputation by manufacturing cars that required little service. ;)

if you knew the number of engines that toyota has replaced for free off the books (due to engine sludge) to keep their reliability numbers so high, you'd be sad.. i worked for a dealer for 3 months.. in that span i saw 2 V6's and at least 5 4cyls come in with blown engines.. all oil related.

i'm not knocking toyota, but why wait to take out that break-in oil? just because toyota doesn't tell you to do it does not mean you shouldn't... if i followed toyotas recommended 5000mile oil change on my car i'd likely destroy my engine..

Stargate YARlantIS
10-28-2008, 04:37 PM
I always go every 3k, I don't care what the dealers say about every 5k, I've had my LB for almost 2yrs now and love it, I never go beyond every 3k (sometimes every 3200) lol

I frackin' love my yota!!!

jkuchta
10-28-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm running Motul 300V 5W-30, changing every 3-4K miles, and I'm getting 39-41 mpg (even with the new tires). In my experiance the 1NZ seems to respond to high quality synthetic motor oil quite well. The C60 trans also responds to Redline MT-90 trans fluid. I have a feeling both of these fluid swaps are a big reason why I'm getting such good mileage, seeing as how I don't drive for fuel economy in the least.

natethegreat38
10-28-2008, 06:28 PM
if you knew the number of engines that toyota has replaced for free off the books (due to engine sludge) to keep their reliability numbers so high, you'd be sad.. i worked for a dealer for 3 months.. in that span i saw 2 V6's and at least 5 4cyls come in with blown engines.. all oil related.

i'm not knocking toyota, but why wait to take out that break-in oil? just because toyota doesn't tell you to do it does not mean you shouldn't... if i followed toyotas recommended 5000mile oil change on my car i'd likely destroy my engine..

Tamago, but I worked for Toyota Motor Sales, USA (corporate) here in So. Cal for two years on a team that dealt especially with this concern. I know exactly how many engines Toyota has replaced due to oil gel.

Thanks anyway.

briman
10-28-2008, 07:48 PM

I don't agree or disagree. The verdict is out on this. I hear sound arguments from both sides of the fence. I have heard no real advantage to changing the oil in the first 1000 miles or 3000 miles for break in. In fact there are some really good and reliable sources that say to leave in the oil for the first full term for break in purposes. :iono:

I'm convinced no one can say with any certainty either way. So I'm going 5000 mile changes and staying with dino oil. I've done this before and the engine looks like new. I still plan to get 200,000 miles out of it. Then everything else is falling apart by that point.

natethegreat38
10-28-2008, 07:52 PM
^^^ true... It just seems that if it were best for the engine, Toyota would recommend in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide to change at first 3k miles, then every 5k after that. I am with you briman. I am doing 5k and expect this car to last forever :)

b_hickman11
10-28-2008, 10:46 PM
I just changed the oil in my 08 this past weekend after putting 5000 miles on. The oil that came out looked brand new. I have also talked to several Toyota mechanics and they told me that the each engine is tested for 500 miles(calcualted by a computer) before they are dropped into the car, then they drain the oil and put new oil in.

bigjimmysrock
10-29-2008, 01:22 AM
had first change today @ 2000 miles, dont see how it can hurt anything to change it but can think of many ways it can by not.... but i will continue at 5k ish from here on w/dino:headbang:

gid
10-29-2008, 01:26 PM
1st oil change for both '08s at around 1,400 miles with PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-30 full synthetic motor oil . Then again at little less than 5,000 miles with more PLATINUM .

natethegreat38
10-29-2008, 01:33 PM
i don't get why people change the oil so early!!?? I guess it isn't going to hurt anything, but it just seems like a waste of time and resources...

Tamago
10-29-2008, 01:35 PM
i don't get why people change the oil so early!!?? I guess it isn't going to hurt anything, but it just seems like a waste of time and resources...

i'm running 12psi of boost :iono:

natethegreat38
10-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Now, THAT makes sense! I completely understand if that is the case!! But for other cars that are NA or even completely stock...then the previous statement applies :)

Tomago- Good call on changing the oil frequently in a boosted engine!

talnlnky
11-01-2008, 11:32 PM
i waited 4700 or so miles before getting my first oil change.... I didn't see an increase in mpg's until after I started using DFCO.... which gave me +10% (4mpg) instantly. I'm guessing i've prolly gained about 2-4mpg's from engine wear in, and the rest comes from changes in temperature outside, and changes in driving style (more laid back now).

i think I MIGHT have seen +1mpg MAX when i switched to mobil 1 5w30 synth.... but possibly there was no change at all.

sketch182
11-10-2008, 09:53 PM
My 1995 Corolla has 290,000 km using the Toyota oil change recommendations. It runs like a top and burns no oil. Pretty much speaks for itself.
PS The A/C still works too.

Jack Reacher
11-11-2008, 02:02 AM
My 1995 Corolla has 290,000 km using the Toyota oil change recommendations. It runs like a top and burns no oil. Pretty much speaks for itself.

You said it right there. Follow the book due all your routine maintenance in a timely manor and chances are you'll be like this guy. You don't even have to spend the extra money on synthetics,fancy oil/air filters and any other gimmicks. I'm just an old man though. What would I know?:iono:

marcus
11-11-2008, 08:52 AM
well unfortunetely i drop mpg on switching to mobile1 synthetic 5w-30 dont ask me how and why ..and im anal on my fuel economy and tracked them from day 1... lost about 25-30 km on a 36 liter of gas.. i got slightly better after the 3rd tank though.. but still i cant get my 590 km on the 36 liters anymore..

gid
11-11-2008, 12:05 PM
I posted a theory for lost mileage when using synthetic over conventional oil , got slammed for that . Ain't stepping in that pile of :bs: again :rolleyes: .

Chupacabra
11-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Changing the oil is the single most important thing that one can do to maintain and extend the life of their vehicle. On a new car....I recommend changing the oil at between 500-1000 miles. After that....I would change the oil every 3K miles or 5mo., whichever comes first regardless of synthetic oil or dino. This is my own style and I don't agree or disagree necessarily with any other regimen BUT do practice my own interval outlined above.

marcus
11-20-2008, 12:55 PM
sorry guys i have to comment on this.. i went fr 5w-30 to 5w-30 synthetic.. my mpg went down.. i used to get average of 580-590km on 36 liters now its only 560-570km .. this is during summer so temp is tha same as well as driving habits.. go figure.

SuperFunBall
11-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Marcus...at what mileage did you switch over?

marcus
11-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Marcus...at what mileage did you switch over?

24000 kms..

SuperFunBall
11-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Just curious. I heard that if you switch over too early before proper break in you could see a drop, but you switched over much later. You might want to try the new Mobile-1 OW-20 or 5W-20 on the next oil change to see if it helps restore some of that lost FE.

briman
11-25-2008, 08:00 PM

wow. That sums it up. And the AC still works. That's a bonus.

Reddog99
11-26-2008, 01:07 AM
sorry guys i have to comment on this.. i went fr 5w-30 to 5w-30 synthetic.. my mpg went down.. i used to get average of 580-590km on 36 liters now its only 560-570km .. this is during summer so temp is tha same as well as driving habits.. go figure. I've heard that the Yaris engine is sensitive to oil level being too high (will cause drop in mileage). so double check your oil level and drain off a bit if necessary. FWIW, I changed my oil at 1000 and the mileage dropped 2 mpg. After reading about the too-high symptom, I drained off a little (it was too high) and the mileage came back up.

When I changed my oil to Mobil 1 at 5000 mile, the gas mileage didn't change, but as the engine slowly breaks in, I've noticed that the mileage is slowly improving. Over the last 5000 miles the mileage has improved 3 mpg and I'm averaging over 40 mpg now (as long as I keep my foot out of it).

Jeff E.
11-29-2008, 02:43 PM
I still don't have enough miles on my car to have had the first oil change yet, but I heard that your mpg/ FE will improve slightly/dramatically once I get it changed for the first time...

Can you please share your experience?? Can you confirm/deny this?? :thumbsup:

Since the weather got cooler, I don't get anything beyong 36 mpg, even after my recent first oil change. My last was 35mpg due to 200 miles at 78 miles per hour on the interstate. So about 36mpg mostly hiway at 59 miles per hour top speed. Not the best.

I drove a Yaris Sedan for a while last summer and got 41-42 almost all the time.

SilverGlow
12-16-2008, 03:46 PM

My BS metering is ringing off the table, and down the hall....sorry but your info has no basis, none whatsoever....

SilverGlow
12-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Changing the oil is the single most important thing that one can do to maintain and extend the life of their vehicle. On a new car....I recommend changing the oil at between 500-1000 miles. After that....I would change the oil every 3K miles or 5mo., whichever comes first regardless of synthetic oil or dino. This is my own style and I don't agree or disagree necessarily with any other regimen BUT do practice my own interval outlined above.

Would you please cite your scientific information on this strategy?

Or is it just how you "feel"?

If you go the scientific route and get UOA's on your oil, you will find that your strategy makes no sense, and has no basis in reality; none whatsoever.

daf62757
01-19-2009, 07:30 PM

Very good advice. I am about to change out my oil and I am at around 1000. You are right on target with your advice!

06silveryaris
01-19-2009, 09:36 PM

+1

marcus
01-20-2009, 11:34 AM
i always thought that synthetic increase ur change period due to breakdown of the oil is a lot longer..if one will change the oil every specified change date is there a point to go to synthetic.

kou
01-20-2009, 01:13 PM
i always thought that synthetic increase ur change period due to breakdown of the oil is a lot longer..if one will change the oil every specified change date is there a point to go to synthetic.

if you drive like a granny it probaly will last a little longer, but we only have 3.3 quarts it can't last being abused.
your motor will last forever if you change your oil with regular oil every 2500 and you filter every 5000 miles this will be cheaper than one synth change.

the synth oil is good if you like to rev it out with its stabilty at higher temps. change every 3500-5000 with a new filter, sooner if you rev it out.

Tamago
01-20-2009, 02:16 PM
and they both get dirty at the same rate :iono:

kou
01-20-2009, 04:24 PM
and they both get dirty at the same rate :iono:

if you granny it synth will stay cleaner longer in a stock car.it handles the heat better therfore not getting that cooked look so fast.

Tamago
01-20-2009, 05:40 PM
if you granny it synth will stay cleaner longer in a stock car.it handles the heat better therfore not getting that cooked look so fast.

wtf is granny it? :biggrin::biggrin:

my poor oil gets cooked immediately.. god bless twin/cooled turbos or it'd be worse

SilverGlow
01-30-2009, 04:41 PM

Wow this thread contains lots of bool sheet.

What makes an oil dirty is fuel explosuin blow-by leaking from the combustion chamber past the rings into the oil. Syn and mineral oil get dirty exactly the same way and from the same causes.

SeaYa
01-31-2009, 12:51 AM

To the OP: 2008 Manual Sedan: I did see a slight increase (39 to 42) after my 5000 change (and the oil looked used obviously, but not sludgy, I agree with you, early oil changes for break in were a good idea in the past, but not now, especially not with Toyota..their cleanliness / 5S-Lean standards are top notch, I work for an OEM paint supplier, and seeing Toyotas Manf. standards are what got me looking at the Yaris). The two fill ups before the 5k change were 39ish, and the two right after were 42ish. I've been able to get 42/46 since then. I just had my 15,000 last week and switched to full synthetic, so I'll let you know how that goes.