PDA

View Full Version : added air to my tires.

talnlnky
10-28-2008, 08:43 PM
So... winter months coming... temps dropped and I noticed that my mpg's went from consistently 43+ to anything in the 40-42range. My last tank (although a small tank) was 40mpg's.

I decided that there were 3 main factors.
1: car taking longer to warm up
2: Tire pressure had dropped from 40psi in the summer months to 32psi currently
3: Due to colder temps... air resistance is higher due to the air being more dense.

Can't do much about problems 1 & 3... So I pumped the tires back up to 42psi.

First tank afterward netted 43.71, which is the higherst i've gotten since august 31st. Haven't noticed any difference in performance/handling or comfort either. So I'm happy with my 1-2mpg I gained back.

voodoo22
10-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Don't forget winter gas is probably in your tank now as well. I've read where people check their tire psi weekly in the winter.

b_hickman11
10-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Just get Nitrogen gas put into your tires and you wont have to worry about decreasing psi, no matter what the temp is outside. Most dealers in my area now offer this and it is usually free.

talnlnky
10-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Just get Nitrogen gas put into your tires and you wont have to worry about decreasing psi, no matter what the temp is outside. Most dealers in my area now offer this and it is usually free.

well.... isn't air 80% nitrogen anyways?.... I'm fine for now.

talnlnky
10-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Don't forget winter gas is probably in your tank now as well. I've read where people check their tire psi weekly in the winter.

maybe... oregon always has ethanol in the tank... has for years... so other than oxygenating it I don't know what would be different.

b_hickman11
10-30-2008, 11:25 PM

maybe....buts its still not 100% The Nitrogen will not excape from the tire like regular air does.....

YarisSedan
10-31-2008, 12:51 AM
Nitrogen is denser than oxygen. Thus harder for it to leak out. With oxygen you loose about 1 pound of air per month slowly from your valve stem. With nitrogen you loose maybe 1 pound every 6 months to a year.

nemelek
10-31-2008, 05:49 AM
I run a special mixture for my tires.

78.1% Nitrogen
20.95% Oxygen
0.038% CO2
0.0018% Neon
0.0005% Helium
0.0001% Krypton
0.00005% Hydrogen

Free Nitrogen is one thing, but to pay $5 a tire like some places charge is another. I'll save my money for snake oil.

voodoo22
10-31-2008, 07:44 AM
I run a special mixture for my tires.

78.1% Nitrogen
20.95% Oxygen
0.038% CO2
0.0018% Neon
0.0005% Helium
0.0001% Krypton
0.00005% Hydrogen

Free Nitrogen is one thing, but to pay $5 a tire like some places charge is another. I'll save my money for snake oil.

It's like the bottled water craze, where often people are paying for bottle water that's even worse than the water coming from their taps.

natethegreat38
10-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Can't do much about problems 1 & 3... So I pumped the tires back up to 42psi.

First tank afterward netted 43.71, which is the higherst i've gotten since august 31st. Haven't noticed any difference in performance/handling or comfort either. So I'm happy with my 1-2mpg I gained back.

As a tire professional, I feel that doing this is one of the worst things you could do. If you live in a colder climate that gets snow and/or rain you want to have your tires properly inflated to ensure proper traction in the snow/ice/rain. Over inflating the tires (as is the case @42psi) will narrow the contact patch and result in less tire surface area contacting the road and less traction.

Personally, MPG takes a back seat to my safety and the safety of my passengers :wink:

thebarber
10-31-2008, 11:17 AM
42psi in your tires? are they worn down the center?

damn, i ran too high of a tire pressure in my winters one time and i had to buy 2 new fronts by the end of the season (and i didnt rotate them) as they were on the wear bars down the center of the tire....

natethegreat38
10-31-2008, 11:21 AM
^^^ He speaks the truth... It's hard to convince people otherwise, but it doesn't save you money by over-inflating your tires; sure you get higher MPG, but you are replacing your tires more frequently offsetting the savings.

TLyttle
10-31-2008, 12:03 PM
As in most discussions, compromise is good. Standard pressure (in the summer) is tough on fuel, but good for traction (in the winter). High pressure that wears only the center is bad, slightly higher pressure to save fuel is good. I run 4-6lbs over sticker, tires are wearing evenly, fuel economy is excellent, traction is just fine.

One can ALWAYS go "too far"...

gid
10-31-2008, 12:35 PM
^^^ He speaks the truth... It's hard to convince people otherwise, but it doesn't save you money by over-inflating your tires; sure you get higher MPG, but you are replacing your tires more frequently offsetting the savings. stiffer tires from overinflating can cause premature wear and tear or sudden damage on the shocks , struts , tie rod ends , etc. when hitting those potholes of winter and spring . Tires are considered part of the suspension . That's why there's a setting / limit by tire manufacturer and car maker . I can see at the most 36 p.s.i. , I try to keep them between 34 > 35 p.s.i.. This time of year is a pain the :moon: from the variation of temps . Try to check them every week if you can .

voodoo22
10-31-2008, 01:45 PM
^^^ He speaks the truth... It's hard to convince people otherwise, but it doesn't save you money by over-inflating your tires; sure you get higher MPG, but you are replacing your tires more frequently offsetting the savings.

It depends what you consider over inflating. If you consider going higher than the car manufacturers recommendations, you're wrong and if you consider going a bit over the max sidewall on newer tires you're wrong. If you mean going to 100+ psi or something like that, you may be right.

There is a growing number of people who inflate to maximum sidewall pressure and beyond with no ill affects and loads of various benefits like better MPG, handling, braking etc. Any statements to the contrary are made by people who do not know the facts.

My latest pair of winters have been at a constant state of 50 psi or more and same goes for my current all seasons. I have over 40,000 combined kms on these tires and they still exhibit virtually no wear. Inflating to maximum sidewall and a little higher has only one downside and that is ride comfort, anyone telling you any different either doesn't know what they're talking about or is a liar.

natethegreat38
10-31-2008, 03:34 PM
It depends what you consider over inflating. If you consider going higher than the car manufacturers recommendations, you're wrong and if you consider going a bit over the max sidewall on newer tires you're wrong. If you mean going to 100+ psi or something like that, you may be right.

There is a growing number of people who inflate to maximum sidewall pressure and beyond with no ill affects and loads of various benefits like better MPG, handling, braking etc. Any statements to the contrary are made by people who do not know the facts.

My latest pair of winters have been at a constant state of 50 psi or more and same goes for my current all seasons. I have over 40,000 combined kms on these tires and they still exhibit virtually no wear. Inflating to maximum sidewall and a little higher has only one downside and that is ride comfort, anyone telling you any different either doesn't know what they're talking about or is a liar.

Voodoo,
Thanks! I'm glad to know that Yokohama has wasted tens of thousands of dollars and countless hours training me on tire manufacturing, tire construction, tire conditions and more. I could have saved my company TONS of TIME AND MONEY if I had just come here and asked you about the "facts"... :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

By the way: an "over-inflated" tire would be one that exceeds the vehicle manufacture's recommended air pressure.

thebarber
10-31-2008, 03:38 PM
had winters @45psi for 20kms one winter and had to replace the front tires the following year. that being said, i had my xrs which would often lose traction at lift in cold weather...

i run 36psi daily though

so i guess do whatever you want! lol

nemelek
10-31-2008, 03:42 PM
I always do what the manufacture and the tire dealer recomend. I figure that the professionals know best.

talnlnky
10-31-2008, 08:23 PM
I ran 32-40psi on my tires depending on the heat (32 psi during winter, up to 40 during summer), and still have very minimal tire wear after 18k miles & 1 year. Just had an oil change and the dealership said they were just over 36 (car was cold).

I'm happy to see people get so sarcastic and bent out of shape so quickly.

Reccomended by toyota is 32... bridgestone says max of 44. something in the range of 36-42 will not hurt the tires at all... I'd take bridgestone over toyota.... Bridgestone makes the tires... toyota only orders them.

in 5k if I start to have weird tread issues i'll be sure to lower the psi.. but, as said before.. .many people have gone upwards of 50psi without apparent negative effects.

b_hickman11
10-31-2008, 09:37 PM

Also the higher the PSI, the more mositure is in the tire which will start to break down the inside of the tire at a faster rate. This extra moisture will also reduce the life of your TPMS.

gid
10-31-2008, 10:10 PM
go with the flow ....... no winning .

mark2908
10-31-2008, 11:13 PM
6,000 miles at 50 lbs. (so far) and all is well. This is a Fuel Economy forum.
Flame if you must, but this is standard Hypermiling stuff and is well tested.
The stickies in this forum call for increasing psi to at least the max side wall pressure. (44 lbs.) Cleanmpg.com says the same.
This has been discussed to death both places, and it is up to the driver to decide what they want.

Lower (recommended) tire pressures are quieter and smoother but increase rolling resistance and decrease mileage.
It's also more likely to wear the outside edge of the tread as the tire slightly deforms when cornering.
Increased pressures have far less rolling resistance and less road contact, so mileage and handling is better, but it comes at a comfort cost of a rougher ride, increased road noise and harshness.
Proven by Hypermilers to wear well over time. With less deformity when cornering, the tread actually wears more evenly across the tread.
Flame away:evil:

Smokey159
10-31-2008, 11:18 PM
Nitrogen is denser than oxygen. Thus harder for it to leak out. With oxygen you loose about 1 pound of air per month slowly from your valve stem. With nitrogen you loose maybe 1 pound every 6 months to a year.

Leak out???? Ummm, you use nitrogen because it is less suseptible to temp change as the tire warms up.

bigjimmysrock
10-31-2008, 11:23 PM
6k and you know what your talking about? the tires barely broken in....:clap:
on my truck ive got about 80k on the tires and there is still tread left! yes i do go by the tires recommended psi and agree with yall there but before we claim we know facts just give it time. as for hypermiling its great to say your getting such high mpg but im sure over the life of a car x treme hyperm. would cost you more $ from excessive wear of parts... but thats just my .02 and im egotistic a$$hole who ownes two trucks and a yaris. :iono:

Smokey159
10-31-2008, 11:24 PM
6,000 miles at 50 lbs. (so far) and all is well. This is a Fuel Economy forum.
Flame if you must, but this is standard Hypermiling stuff and is well tested.
The stickies in this forum call for increasing psi to at least the max side wall pressure. (44 lbs.) Cleanmpg.com says the same.
This has been discussed to death both places, and it is up to the driver to decide what they want.

Lower (recommended) tire pressures are quieter and smoother but increase rolling resistance and decrease mileage.
It's also more likely to wear the outside edge of the tread as the tire slightly deforms when cornering.
Increased pressures have far less rolling resistance and less road contact, so mileage and handling is better, but it comes at a comfort cost of a rougher ride, increased road noise and harshness.
Proven by Hypermilers to wear well over time. With less deformity when cornering, the tread actually wears more evenly across the tread.
Flame away:evil:

Handling is better? You obviously haven't EVER gone over 100 mph. Increasing your air pressure DOES NOT increase handling. I've raced motorcycles and cars for over 5 years. You are wrong.

bigjimmysrock
10-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Leak out???? Ummm, you use nitrogen because it is less suseptible to temp change as the tire warms up.

it leaks through the rubber not the valve stem...:thumbsup:

bigjimmysrock
10-31-2008, 11:25 PM
Handling is better? You obviously haven't EVER gone over 100 mph. Increasing your air pressure DOES NOT increase handling. I've raced motorcycles and cars for over 5 years. You are wrong.

x2

mark2908
10-31-2008, 11:51 PM

Hypermilers go slow. You're right.
I would never go over 100 mph, the mileage would suck.:smile:
With less road contact, turning is tighter and more responsive.
Performance high speed driving is not the topic.

bigjimmysrock
10-31-2008, 11:54 PM
do you do 80?

rningonfumes
11-01-2008, 12:11 AM
I do 80mph once in a while. Most of the time, my speedometer never breaks 55mph.

I was at 50psi for about 10k and 60psi for the last 5K...I now have a total of 21k miles, just did an oil change. I agree very much with Mark.

If Bailout were to post, he would pretty much agree with Mark as well.

As for the over inflation.... have you heard of any major incidences yet? I mean all those Ford Explorer tire problems were a major part, under inflation. http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002/05/20/tire-safety-campaign.htm

Under the things that hi-mpg people like to do, it's one of the more controversial options.
You'll find people between 45-65psi. Of course call them crazy, but no major incidences yet. Many do report longer tread life.

So...doing max sidewall is not drastic.

mark2908
11-01-2008, 12:16 AM
do you do 80?

Nope. Over and out.

BailOut
11-01-2008, 01:41 AM
BailOut = 60,000 miles at 50-60 PSI. Has experienced better handling, longer tread life and higher MPG. No incidents.

Collective membership at CleanMPG.com = Millions of road miles at 50-70 PSI. Folks have experienced better handling, longer tread life and higher MPG. No incidents.

A large contingent of the PriusChat membership = Millions of road miles at or slightly above max sidewall. Folks have experienced better handling, longer tread life and higher MPG. No incidents.

You guys are welcome to your wive's tales, superstitions and armchair science. The real world results are all I need.

andries
11-01-2008, 06:43 AM
My winter tyres Yokohama 185/65 R15 have 36psi and my sommer tyres Yokohama 205/45 R17 have 39 psi.

voodoo22
11-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Voodoo,
Thanks! I'm glad to know that Yokohama has wasted tens of thousands of dollars and countless hours training me on tire manufacturing, tire construction, tire conditions and more. I could have saved my company TONS of TIME AND MONEY if I had just come here and asked you about the "facts"... :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

By the way: an "over-inflated" tire would be one that exceeds the vehicle manufacture's recommended air pressure.

Resorting to sarcasm will not change the facts and real world experience which trump classroom theory every time.

The amount of money and time thrown at an idea does not make it true.

I've read extensively on this topic before I engaged in the practice myself. Over the course of 2 1/2 years I went from a practice of car manufacturers recommended psi, to tire manufacturers max side wall, to a little more. Now I am always around 50 psi. I am not the authority on this topic by any means, but I know what is true and what is not from seeing peoples real world results and from my own experience. If you have an open mind and really want to learn something, go and talk to real world experts at cleanmpg. They are a very mature group who present their actual experiences to you and explain why they have achieved those results.

b_hickman11
11-01-2008, 11:00 AM
I have a Cousin who used to run 40 psi in his tires on a 1996 Grand AM and he had a blow out one day, which caused some damage to his left front rim and some other damage up front. When the insurance guy check it out, he tested the psi in the other tires and when he found that they were all at 40 psi, the insurance co.(which was All-State), would not pay since he was not following the manufactors psi rating of 32. So he ended having to pay about $1200 out of pocket just because he did not follow the guidelines.

TLyttle
11-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Seems to me that Allstate will go to ANY lengths to avoid paying out, moreso than any other company I dealt with in the auto collision repair industry.

gid
11-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I have a Cousin who used to run 40 psi in his tires on a 1996 Grand AM and he had a blow out one day, which caused some damage to his left front rim and some other damage up front. When the insurance guy check it out, he tested the psi in the other tires and when he found that they were all at 40 psi, the insurance co.(which was All-State), would not pay since he was not following the manufactors psi rating of 32. So he ended having to pay about $1200 out of pocket just because he did not follow the guidelines. might as well :bonk: .

TgrChica7
11-01-2008, 11:56 PM

Yes it is, BUT N2 won't drop in pressure as fast as regular air, the tire pressure should stay more consistant due to there being no moisture in the N2 (with regular air you should check your pressures atleast once a month, with N2 you can go 3 to 4 before checking the pressure) AND is supposedly going to give you slightly better gas mileage as well (not completely noticable but its been told). I work in a tire and automotive shop so I work with this kind of thing all day 6 days a week. Most tire shops are starting to offer the N2 service now. Where I work its $2 per tire and then free after that. If you notice that your tires are low and you have N2 in the tires its perfectly fine to put regular air in them just when you can go back to where you got it installed and have them purge and refill with fresh N2 as the regular air will have diluted it.

ALSO on the inside panel of your driverside door read the placard, it will tell you the correct pressure that the manufacturer calls for in the tires DONT go off of what the tire says.... You could be over inflating your tires and that could cause uneven tire wear and possible hazards.

(Wow I feel like I am at work lol)

TgrChica7
11-02-2008, 12:03 AM
As a tire professional, I feel that doing this is one of the worst things you could do. If you live in a colder climate that gets snow and/or rain you want to have your tires properly inflated to ensure proper traction in the snow/ice/rain. Over inflating the tires (as is the case @42psi) will narrow the contact patch and result in less tire surface area contacting the road and less traction.

Personally, MPG takes a back seat to my safety and the safety of my passengers :wink:

Glad to see there is another tire professional on the forum! I'll back you 100%!! I've been in too many Michelin/BFG, Goodyear, Yokohama, Hankook, Toyo, Pirelli and a few other classes and Ride & Drive's to have people tell us we are wrong...

TgrChica7
11-02-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm not trying to argue with you Voodoo, but we do work with this everyday and we see the effects of how people mistreat their tires, you may be an exception bc you haven't had anything happen to you yet, but just be aware that it is possible. We (natethegreat and I) are only giving you what we know and see and highly recommend that you stick to the manufacturers recommendations seeing as they do extensive testing as well as the tire companies to determine what certain vehicles and tires can handle in order to be safe for you and others around you.

BailOut
11-02-2008, 01:49 AM
I find it most ironic that folks on this forum can talk about replacing the steering wheel with one that doesn't have an airbag and no one bats an eyelash, or dropping the car so low that it can't turn properly or negotiate speed bumps and everyone cheers them on, or supercharging an engine that was never designed for it and everyone gathers round the campfire to tell stories, but the minute anyone brings up raising tire pressures people begin to preach in the supposed name of safety. :rolleyes:

talnlnky
11-02-2008, 11:13 AM
I find it most ironic that folks on this forum can talk about replacing the steering wheel with one that doesn't have an airbag and no one bats an eyelash, or dropping the car so low that it can't turn properly or negotiate speed bumps and everyone cheers them on, or supercharging an engine that was never designed for it and everyone gathers round the campfire to tell stories, but the minute anyone brings up raising tire pressures people begin to preach in the supposed name of safety. :rolleyes:

hush you heathen! your logic doesn't work here! :-D

natethegreat38
11-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Glad to see there is another tire professional on the forum! I'll back you 100%!! I've been in too many Michelin/BFG, Goodyear, Yokohama, Hankook, Toyo, Pirelli and a few other classes and Ride & Drive's to have people tell us we are wrong...

Thanks, Chica- we know what's up.

Bailout- I don't have ANY expertise in those other fields, so I figure that I shouldn't be saying anything about lowering, steering wheels, superchargers, etc... If I did, I might contribute, but I don't. Since I have plenty of tire experience, I feel that I can contribute.

voodoo22
11-03-2008, 07:26 AM
I'm not trying to argue with you Voodoo, but we do work with this everyday and we see the effects of how people mistreat their tires, you may be an exception bc you haven't had anything happen to you yet, but just be aware that it is possible. We (natethegreat and I) are only giving you what we know and see and highly recommend that you stick to the manufacturers recommendations seeing as they do extensive testing as well as the tire companies to determine what certain vehicles and tires can handle in order to be safe for you and others around you.

I have my own experiences based on how I drive and take care of my car. I appreciate what you're saying(and more so how you're saying it in a professional way), but based on my own personal experiences and the experiences of hundreds of other people I have discussed this topic with who have actually implemented both trains of thought on psi on their cars, I do not agree. I didn't come to these conclusions over night, or from reading 1 post in a forum.

What I also think is being left out here, is that it is proven under inflating your tires is unquestionably dangerous. This is what really causes blow outs and hydroplaning. It also causes a large decrease in FE and tire life.

Even if you don't prescribe to the philosophy that inflating to the max sidewall and even a little beyond is not going to cause you problems unless you are driving your car incorrectly to begin with and then you're a hazard on the road no matter what the psi is in your tires. I would at least hope everyone would stress that everyone should never under any circumstance have a psi lower than the one listed in their cars manual.

For me the bottom line is to never take anyones word on anything. Research it and figure it out for yourself. If you take someones word simply based on how much money and research they say they spent on something or how big of a company they are then we'd still believe things like the world is flat and that the Ford Pinto was a safe car.

b_hickman11
11-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I have my own experiences based on how I drive and take care of my car. I appreciate what you're saying(and more so how you're saying it in a professional way), but based on my own personal experiences and the experiences of hundreds of other people I have discussed this topic with who have actually implemented both trains of thought on psi on their cars, I do not agree. I didn't come to these conclusions over night, or from reading 1 post in a forum.

What I also think is being left out here, is that it is proven under inflating your tires is unquestionably dangerous. This is what really causes blow outs and hydroplaning. It also causes a large decrease in FE and tire life.

Even if you don't prescribe to the philosophy that inflating to the max sidewall and even a little beyond is not going to cause you problems unless you are driving your car incorrectly to begin with and then you're a hazard on the road no matter what the psi is in your tires. I would at least hope everyone would stress that everyone should never under any circumstance have a psi lower than the one listed in their cars manual.

For me the bottom line is to never take anyones word on anything. Research it and figure it out for yourself. If you take someones word simply based on how much money and research they say they spent on something or how big of a company they are then we'd still believe things like the world is flat and that the Ford Pinto was a safe car.

I believe this thread is about over inflating. True the max sidewall pressure is 44 psi as it states on the side of the tire. But also if you notice on the side of the tire it states that you should follow your vehicle manufactor's psi recommendation and not their ratings. When they develop a tire they put an average rating on it to go with any car that tire might be put on. But thats why they tell you to follow your vehicle manufactor because they don't know what the weight of the car will be, is it will be RWD, FWD, etc.

natethegreat38
11-03-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm over it. You can only explain something so many times... whether or not one wishes to listen is up to them. Thanks to those who understand. I'll properly inflate my tires and live happily (and safely) ever after. :thumbup:

talnlnky
11-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I believe this thread is about over inflating. True the max sidewall pressure is 44 psi as it states on the side of the tire. But also if you notice on the side of the tire it states that you should follow your vehicle manufactor's psi recommendation and not their ratings. When they develop a tire they put an average rating on it to go with any car that tire might be put on. But thats why they tell you to follow your vehicle manufactor because they don't know what the weight of the car will be, is it will be RWD, FWD, etc.

ok.... so. the yaris is 2300lbs. how many cars are there out there that weigh less than 2300lbs which MIGHT run these same tires? I have a hard time thinking that weight is such a big factor on these tires when coupled with a yaris. Maybe the 14" variant is different, I dunno... but the 15" tire could possible find itself of heavier sedans, or even light duty trucks I imagine. which could weight as much as 1000lbs more than the yaris.

b_hickman11
11-03-2008, 10:47 PM
ok.... so. the yaris is 2300lbs. how many cars are there out there that weigh less than 2300lbs which MIGHT run these same tires? I have a hard time thinking that weight is such a big factor on these tires when coupled with a yaris. Maybe the 14" variant is different, I dunno... but the 15" tire could possible find itself of heavier sedans, or even light duty trucks I imagine. which could weight as much as 1000lbs more than the yaris.

whats your point young grasshopper??

Ace
11-03-2008, 11:15 PM
I’ve been lurking on this thread for a while…

I think talnlnky is saying different appreciation requires different psi with the same tire. It needs more psi if the vehicle weights more to keep the tire’s form/shape intact to hold the road and weight.

I could be wrong.

I will crawl back underneath my rock now.

428CobraJet
11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Seems to me that Allstate will go to ANY lengths to avoid paying out, moreso than any other company I dealt with in the auto collision repair industry.

After the Firestone/Explorer/low pressure=nice ride fiasco, you'd think they would have celebrated!

talnlnky
11-04-2008, 10:29 PM
I’ve been lurking on this thread for a while…

I think talnlnky is saying different appreciation requires different psi with the same tire. It needs more psi if the vehicle weights more to keep the tire’s form/shape intact to hold the road and weight.

I could be wrong.

I will crawl back underneath my rock now.

yeah... pretty much.

BailOut
11-05-2008, 12:29 AM
We have had a few days of storms that have dropped lots of rain and about 5 inches of snow at altitude. 17 of the 27 miles of my commute was under snow tires or chains controls today. On the way to work I and my two carpoolers saw two 4x4 pickup trucks that had lost control and gone far enough off the road to require winching. On the way home we saw another 4WD vehicle in the same position.

We traversed the mountain in both directions without issue. At 60 PSI.

Shroomster
11-05-2008, 01:31 AM
We have had a few days of storms that have dropped lots of rain and about 5 inches of snow at altitude. 17 of the 27 miles of my commute was under snow tires or chains controls today. On the way to work I and my two carpoolers saw two 4x4 pickup trucks that had lost control and gone far enough off the road to require winching. On the way home we saw another 4WD vehicle in the same position.

We traversed the mountain in both directions without issue. At 60 PSI.

hey Brian, how was the ride with that psi? what kinda speeds were you going at? i'm just curious as another site I was on (for my civic) there were hypermilers (or the like) that would do all the same stuff to 7th gen civics (blocking for winter heat, psi calibrations some even did coolant bypasses on the t/b and additives and such)

I'm just curious as to what effect this kind of stuff has on the car.

I would think personally as seeing certain brands of tires undergoing 120-150 or more psi while trying to seat the beads 60 psi is nothing....I can only see a problem with "over-inflation" if high speed was involved and the over-inflation was not performed prior to balancing the wheel/tire set....as out of round issues would appear.

I'm wanting to understand the reasoning and logic behind this instead of persecute and judge.