aca72
10-29-2008, 03:35 PM
http://www.mpgomatic.com/2008/08/24/toyota-yaris-mpg-review/

2008 Toyota Yaris S Sedan - Highway MPG Testing:

* 43.2 MPG - windows down, cruise control off, A/C off
* 43.8 MPG - windows down, cruise control on, A/C off
* 46.2 MPG - windows up, cruise control on, A/C on 50%
* 49.7 MPG - windows up, cruise control off, A/C off

(Specifics: 40 mile interstate loops, cruise control set at 66 MPH, 60-70 MPH range with cruise off.)

Impressive!

gid
10-29-2008, 07:12 PM
good find , thanks .

Smokey159
10-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Interesting, most people on this forum say A/C off is always the way to go...

Apparently not?

b_hickman11
10-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Interesting, most people on this forum say A/C off is always the way to go...

Apparently not?

Having the windows door puts more air resistance on the car therefore you get lower mpg.

Appalachian Trail 2007
10-29-2008, 09:57 PM
A/c is more efficient after 40 mph. The drag created with the windows down is much higher than with the a/c on. The best way to use a/c on a long trip is to combine it with going downhill. If you're engine breaking and the dfco kicks in then turning on the a/c shouldn't use more gas, it'll just slow you down more.

YarisSedan
10-29-2008, 10:03 PM
http://www.mpgomatic.com/2008/08/24/toyota-yaris-mpg-review/

Impressive!

How do you get those numbers. I only get 30mpg with cruise on set at 70. Most i ever got was 34mpg

BailOut
10-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Between all of us on this forum that have ScanGauges and over thousands of miles of testing we have each found the exact opposite of their results with the a/c usage. Without fail we can find little to no effect with the windows down at any speed but huge efficiency hits with the a/c on at any speed.

50MPGDream
10-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Between all of us on this forum that have ScanGauges and over thousands of miles of testing we have each found the exact opposite of their results with the a/c usage. Without fail we can find little to no effect with the windows down at any speed but huge efficiency hits with the a/c on at any speed.
I agree

voodoo22
10-30-2008, 07:33 AM

+1

Bob_VT
10-30-2008, 08:56 AM
LOL The next time I plan on using the AC to cool might be next May at the soonest!

My scan gauge tells me what is happening with my car!

Mikeb Yaris
10-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Not having a scan gauge, I do not wish to speak out of turn, but doesn't a scan gauge have to be "calibrated" to the car via a couple of fillups and adjustments?

Astroman
10-30-2008, 11:00 AM
yup. I really don't use mine to get "optimal" mpg, but to stop me from using that lead foot. :rolleyes:

Mikeb Yaris
10-30-2008, 11:10 AM
I just mean to inquire as to the accuracy of these numbers. As I understand it, one does not just plug in a scan gauge and get accurate mpg numbers right off the bat. They do not discuss making adjustments to the device to fit the particular automobile based on actual consumption measured at the pump. They just give the SGII readings, which as I understand it, aren't even close to accurate until the device has been adjusted over a couple tanks.

I'm all for reporting great mileage for the car, but it doesn't mean anything if it isn't done precisely.

BailOut
10-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Good point, Mike.

b_hickman11
10-30-2008, 12:21 PM
How do you get those numbers. I only get 30mpg with cruise on set at 70. Most i ever got was 34mpg

Could be several reasons why you're not getting the mpgs you should be. I have 2 Yaris's and I have never got less than 36 mpg. The highest I have ever got was 44 mpg. I do not use any hyper techs. and I use the AC all the time.

Reddog99
10-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Even when "calibrated" you should take the absolute readings of the Scangage with a grain of salt. I recently took a trip from So. Cal. to New Mexico and found that my back-and-forth-to-work calibration was seriously out of wack for a cross-country trip. I finally gave up trying to correct the calibration while on the trip and the accuracy returned after I got back home.

The best reliable way to calculate fuel mileage is at fill-up time. There are too many uncontrollable variables to rely on instantaneous readouts.

Mikeb Yaris
10-30-2008, 04:48 PM
I wonder why?

Anyone else have this experience?

Appalachian Trail 2007
10-30-2008, 06:43 PM
nope, my scangauge stays calibrated every fillup

roadrunner
10-30-2008, 09:26 PM

I too agree with Bailout :cool:

YarisSedan
10-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Could be several reasons why you're not getting the mpgs you should be. I have 2 Yaris's and I have never got less than 36 mpg. The highest I have ever got was 44 mpg. I do not use any hyper techs. and I use the AC all the time.

Hmm. How do you get your mpg. Do you take the amount of gas you fill your tank up to and take that number and divide it into the amount of miles you drove after your last fill up. I think that is the only accurate way to get your mpg average per fillup.

428CobraJet
10-31-2008, 11:40 AM
They get pretty high numbers on all the vehicles they test.

b_hickman11
10-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Hmm. How do you get your mpg. Do you take the amount of gas you fill your tank up to and take that number and divide it into the amount of miles you drove after your last fill up. I think that is the only accurate way to get your mpg average per fillup.

Yes

50MPGDream
10-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Even when "calibrated" you should take the absolute readings of the Scangage with a grain of salt. I recently took a trip from So. Cal. to New Mexico and found that my back-and-forth-to-work calibration was seriously out of wack for a cross-country trip. I finally gave up trying to correct the calibration while on the trip and the accuracy returned after I got back home.

The best reliable way to calculate fuel mileage is at fill-up time. There are too many uncontrollable variables to rely on instantaneous readouts.

since the second tank I don't recall my SGII being more than .2 gallons off when I went to fill up. and I've logged almost 20,000 miles with it

Appalachian Trail 2007
10-31-2008, 03:59 PM
user error?