PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Yaris+Huge Roadtrip=Bad Idea?

AVALover5498
11-03-2008, 12:47 AM
So I plan on getting a Yaris in the very near future, mainly for the fuel economy. Within a couple of weeks after buying the car I plan on following the tour of my favorite band. They are going to 24 different cities over the course of a month. The trip in total would be around 10,525 miles.

Would it be a bad idea to put this many miles on a brand new Yaris? I'm not concerned with it dramatically reducing the value of the car. My main concern is the car itself. Would I putting the car through too much stress with it being so new? Should I wait a while before I go on the trip?

Thanks,
-Chris-:smile:

PETERPOOP
11-03-2008, 01:16 AM
WHich band? You are going to listen to them play the same songs 24 different times in a one month!? I don't think I could do that even to my favorite band.

sorry, i'm no help to your question. I guess it's fine aslong as you go the speed limit?!

AVALover5498
11-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Angels And Airwaves. I've already seen them play 6 times. I've also met them 5 times. I guess you could say that I'm sort of obsessed maybe?

-Chris-

ChinoCharles
11-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Owner's manual says to vary speeds for a certain amount of miles until the engine has "broken in." I don't think it is a big deal, though. Do it to it.

IsLNdbOi
11-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Just don't drive at a constant speed for long periods.

cali yaris
11-03-2008, 02:08 AM
I drove a thousand miles the first weekend I had mine -- none the worse for wear. I did vary my cruising speed just to be safe though.

CKaelin
11-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Rock N Roll! Go YARIS...

TheRealEnth
11-03-2008, 07:56 AM
You of course have to pimp ur yaris temporarily... Throw some Vinyls etc about the band =p.
they might even let you follow the tour bus

AVALover5498
11-03-2008, 11:55 AM
You of course have to pimp ur yaris temporarily... Throw some Vinyls etc about the band =p.
they might even let you follow the tour bus

Lmao! I just bought a huge Angels And Airwaves logo for the hood off ebay and another one for the back window. I'm also putting racing stripes on it that matches Tom Delonge's guitar haha. I've wanted to do it this for awhile now. You read my mind.

So as long as I vary the speed a bit and don't drive at a consistent speed for too long it should be fine? Cool. That's easy.

Thanx everyone!

TLyttle
11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
... and keep your boot out of it for that first 1-2,000 miles. Keep the rpm inside the 2,000-3,500 range, and it will be fine, no lugging, no revving, infrequent hard acceleration. We took ours on a long trip with only 800 miles on it, no noticeable harm or advantage.

AVALover5498
11-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Sweet, you guys are making this decision way easier. :smile:

-Chris-

TheRealEnth
11-03-2008, 02:42 PM
If you pass by the Southern Tip of FL (dont know if they are coming here) There is so much to do here... Especially if its around March

YAR1S
11-03-2008, 03:14 PM
10k in one month? wow....... that would suck to have that much on your car already...

thats gonna cost you at least $700 dollars in gas, if your typical fill is bout $28..... not to mention the concert tickets..... you should ask the band if they do bundle tickets, LOL to save some money! then food ... and lodging .... and oh my god, i hope you plan on sleepin in your yaris, fold down the back seats and get an inflatable bed or something, that might actually turn out to be fun.....

dont forget to take pictures, especially if you can get the band right next to you and your YARIS!

AVALover5498
11-03-2008, 03:46 PM
10k in one month? wow....... that would suck to have that much on your car already...

thats gonna cost you at least $700 dollars in gas, if your typical fill is bout $28..... not to mention the concert tickets..... you should ask the band if they do bundle tickets, LOL to save some money! then food ... and lodging .... and oh my god, i hope you plan on sleepin in your yaris, fold down the back seats and get an inflatable bed or something, that might actually turn out to be fun.....

dont forget to take pictures, especially if you can get the band right next to you and your YARIS!

Yeah I've done the math, I have all the money I need for this trip. The tickets for the shows alone will be about $700. I do plan on sleeping in the yaris because hotels will get expensive fast. I do alot of roadtripping so this isnt new to me. I've got everything planned out. I'm not going alone so all the expenses will be split between a friend and I. Should make everything alot easier.

As far as putting 10K on my new yaris is concerned? I don't mind. Cars are meant to be driven. Not sit around. I mean it's going to get that many miles on it sometime right? The only reason I'm getting the yaris is because of the gas mileage. It's literally the perfect roadtrip car. If I wasn't going on this trip I would probably just get my dream car which is a black 2005 Audi A6 sedan.

Thanx,

AVALover5498
11-03-2008, 03:48 PM
If you pass by the Southern Tip of FL (dont know if they are coming here) There is so much to do here... Especially if its around March

They usually play a couple of shows in florida. Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale I think.

-Chris-

TheRealEnth
11-03-2008, 03:52 PM
See i love the way this guy thinks... I dont like when people whine about miles or gas... This is why you have a car... To go out and live life. Don't let anything stop you. You can waste 10k miles going to work and back... or 10k... Having the time of your life. I waste so much gas and put so many miles on my car just driving around everywhere.. Even if im tight with money. Sometimes i just cruise for a while, relax's me so much. Im stressed out I head to the beach in the afternoon lay there in the sand or read a book, some music or friends, whatever then i head back! All thanks to the Yaris!!

detroiter
11-03-2008, 03:57 PM
If you pass by or through Detroit, let me know. I can let you know anything you might have questions about such as good places to eat, cool things to check out, etc.

AVALover5498
11-03-2008, 04:09 PM
If you pass by or through Detroit, let me know. I can let you know anything you might have questions about such as good places to eat, cool things to check out, etc.

Cool, I'll totally do that. They've played in detroit on everyone of their tours so I would assume that they'll come back again. The last time they played at a place called the Fillmore. Do you know it?

-Chris-

YAR1S
11-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Hm.

will you be getting the LB or sedan?

PETERPOOP
11-03-2008, 09:39 PM
yah man! closest thing to blink 182!

AVALover5498
11-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Hm.

will you be getting the LB or sedan?

A LB, Maybe the four door. I'm not sure yet.

-Chris-

AVALover5498
11-03-2008, 09:47 PM
yah man! closest thing to blink 182!

?

-Chris-

detroiter
11-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Yeah I know exactly where the Fillmore is. It used to be called the State Theatre for ages (and I still refer to it as the State Theatre and always will). It's located downtown on Woodward Ave, right across the street from Comerica Park (Detroit Tigers stadium).

TLyttle
11-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't write off the sedan; that extra foot and a half of length allows for LOTS of stuff, and the lower roof line seems to give slightly better FE...

SpaceShot
11-06-2008, 12:14 PM
You should be OK so long as you don't keep it pegged to highway speeds for the entire day. I put on that kind of distance in 3-4 months of my usual commute, and the Yaris is holding up fine. Make sure to do both your oil changes during that trip with the best filter you can find at the time, and you might consider putting a K&N air filter before you leave and keep the factory one for spare.
Lastly, check and fill your tires before the trip starts. I found mine to be a few psi under-inflated from the dealer delivery.

AVALover5498
11-06-2008, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't write off the sedan; that extra foot and a half of length allows for LOTS of stuff, and the lower roof line seems to give slightly better FE...

I've driven both of them, and I just prefer the LB. I was going to go with the two door but now that I look at the four door it isn't that bad looking. I'm still not sure which I will go with but it will probably be the four door. There are just too many perks about both of them. Ugh.

-Chris-

AVALover5498
11-06-2008, 04:43 PM
You should be OK so long as you don't keep it pegged to highway speeds for the entire day. I put on that kind of distance in 3-4 months of my usual commute, and the Yaris is holding up fine. Make sure to do both your oil changes during that trip with the best filter you can find at the time, and you might consider putting a K&N air filter before you leave and keep the factory one for spare.
Lastly, check and fill your tires before the trip starts. I found mine to be a few psi under-inflated from the dealer delivery.

Sweet, thanks alot for the info!:smile:

-Chris-

justjesus
11-07-2008, 08:16 PM
yup yup. keep that speed constantly changing for the first 1000k. I've pretty much read the stupid owner's manual cover to cover, since it was my first new car.

I put 1k on mine in one week, but was cautious to keep varying my speed. OH, and no hard accel and no hard braking either. After that, do as you will :)

AVALover5498
11-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Ok, so that main things are:

Vary the speed as much as possible.
Keep the tires filled.
Be sure to change the oil.

That sounds easy enough guys. I just wasn't sure if the car would blow up or something because it's so new.

Thanx everyone!:)
-Chris-

Kal-El
11-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I would personally buy it early enough to put the first 2-3K on it with regular day to day break-in driving and then go on the roadtrip and not have to worry to much about driving style.

And why do people worry about mileage? The Yaris is good for 300,000 miles easy.

Reddog99
11-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Change the oil & filter before you leave, avoid freeways for the first 500 miles, and be sure to follow the recommended maintenance intervals when the times come. Above all, have fun!

Jack Reacher
11-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Just drive the damn thing. Get the oil changed on the road when it's needed and you'll be fine. Have fun.

anonymous user
11-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Just drive the damn thing. Get the oil changed on the road when it's needed and you'll be fine. Have fun.
Agreed. I don't know why people baby cars so much. You want your heads, pistons, etc. to seat properly. Vary engine speeds, and follow maintenance schedule. You're good to go! BTW that band AVA sounds no different than B182. Not very original IMO. But have fun on your ROAD TRIP!!!

AVALover5498
11-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Agreed. I don't know why people baby cars so much. You want your heads, pistons, etc. to seat properly. Vary engine speeds, and follow maintenance schedule. You're good to go! BTW that band AVA sounds no different than B182. Not very original IMO. But have fun on your ROAD TRIP!!!

AvA sounds completely different than Blink. I have no idea as to what you have been listening too. But anyway, this isn't about music. It's about the car. And I value your input on that aspect. So thank you.