PDA

View Full Version : Painted badges and aftermarket mirrors on NSR's Yaris

ChinoCharles
07-24-2006, 12:38 AM
I saw a couple of things I liked on this car. First of all, I saw it had a painted rear Toyota badge. What would the procedure be to paint these badges? I'm assuming it is little more than maybe a little sanding and a few layers, but I don't know anything about this stuff so I'm asking the experts.

The other thing was those mirrors... I knocked my mirror off already (I occasionally moonlight as an absolute moron) so if I was going to spend the $150 or so to replace the factory mirror I could spring for something a little nicer. I'm in the states so I'm sure its from overseas and will cost an arm and a leg... then there is the issue of Meteorte being a US only color. Life is never easy.

Any help?

TRD_Yaris
07-24-2006, 12:58 AM
japanese mirrors would offer you Power Folding option...which is WICKED COOL. And the USDM Yaris IS "supposed" to be the same car except the front and rear bumper assemblies..so it should be pretty simple to get a set and install them. hell, there might not be much wiring necessary, either..if the sockets are already there in the wiring harness...

but, as you suspect, I believe Meteorite Metallic is a USDM color, only. Though, I'm not 100%, i searched long and hard for this silver and found everything BUT meteorite metallic (except for those few here on YarisWorld that are from N/A)

tca4
07-24-2006, 01:17 AM
I think if you want to get the same one as NSR's it would costs around 250-350?

ChinoCharles
07-24-2006, 03:04 AM
We need to send an operative to strongarm these guys into making these mirrors with USDM colors.

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11271811/Door_Mirror_Cover_With_Lamp_For_Toyota_Yaris.html

EDIT: False alarm, just mirror covers... haha

TRD_Yaris
07-24-2006, 04:20 AM
We need to send an operative to strongarm these guys into making these mirrors with USDM colors.

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11271811/Door_Mirror_Cover_With_Lamp_For_Toyota_Yaris.html

EDIT: False alarm, just mirror covers... haha

but, when they say "mirror covers"..they also say "remove old mirror covers"..so they might actually mean the housing itself!! or..it could be a lame, slip-on cover like you fear..

you might wanna contact them and ask if they can repaint..if they do OEM colors, anyway, they might update to the USDM colors as well. y'never know...

ChinoCharles
07-24-2006, 04:28 AM
but, when they say "mirror covers"..they also say "remove old mirror covers"..so they might actually mean the housing itself!! or..it could be a lame, slip-on cover like you fear..

you might wanna contact them and ask if they can repaint..if they do OEM colors, anyway, they might update to the USDM colors as well. y'never know...

I may be wrong but I think that website is for importers, not your average consumer. If anyone would like to buy 1000 units and sell me one in Meteorite though, I'd greatly appreciate it. I can paint the badges in the meantime. :smoking:

PixieDawn
07-24-2006, 11:19 AM
I know you have a silver car but I found these on Ebay they are crome and have the leds in them....only thing I was able to find as a direct replacement but they do come from Hong Kong but price is for the pair not one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Yaris-Vitz-Chrome-Mirror-Cover-LED-Light-RS-TRD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33654QQihZ005QQitem Z150012741314QQrdZ1

TRD_Yaris
07-24-2006, 05:53 PM
i think THOSE ebay ones are slip-ons, though..which makes the sidemirrors a bit bigger. it would probably be better to just take off your side mirrors and have someone install LED's installed for the side markers. Depending on how thick the sidemirrors housing is, you might be able to just drill a few holes for the LEDs to just poke through, not exposing the circuit board below nor requiring a lense to cover them.

ChinoCharles
07-25-2006, 02:14 AM
Speaking about the second part of this thread, I took off the "Toyota" and "Yaris" badges from the back of the car recently... thanks Chris for the DIY. Well, I went and bought 15 bucks worth of paint and sandpaper today, split the "Yaris" into individual letters, and sanded/painted the plastic with a couple different kinds of spray. One was a dark gray/marble type effect, one was a satin black spray paint. Both paints were Krylon and I hit both with a clear coat afterwards. I think the satin black and clear coat look awesome and I will be doing the Toyota badges soon. 220/320/400 grit sandpaper (in that order) 5 layers of Krylon plastic paint and a layer or two of clear glaze and it looks awesome. Question is will it look like crap after 6 months of being exposed to road conditions. If not, I'm doing it and putting up a how-to.