PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of SCCA

rstb88
11-07-2008, 10:49 PM
I was thinking of joining the SCCA. I have grown bored of the day to day life and have really been wanting to go do some solo racing. I wanted to know are there any benefits to joining the SCCA, also what are the conditions of their insurance(too much for me to read tonite I had a looong day). I'm primarily looking foward to exercising my driving abilities on a closed course to practice driving. I have somehow managed to get the worst reputation of driving in my family and I have the second cleanest record with 1 wreck. I'm hoping to hone my driving skills soloing along with driving confidence, and get to better know my car. Any input consistent with SCCA will be appreciated.
O btw I plan on drving my stock Yaris, and I qualify for the under 24yrs category for enrollment(done my research lol)

anonymous user
11-07-2008, 11:38 PM
You learn the dynamics of driving a car, and safe defensive manuvering skills should you ever need it (on the hwy's and roads) on a safe, closed course. Yes, advantages include lodging, rental car discounts, andmany more. It really doesn't mater in my region, as all racers need to be scca members to race at an event (except test and tune days).
Do it, you won't regret it.

cali yaris
11-08-2008, 02:48 AM
Excellent idea, you'll be a better driver for the rest of your life. SCCA is great and so is NASA.

LtNoogie
11-08-2008, 07:24 PM
NASA? I once was licensed by Star Fleet Command.

Sorry to thread jack.

rstb88
11-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I know NASA the greatest special effects team in the world...................................jk So I figure I might aswell join, but I'll wait till after x-mas. If nothing else I can tell my family thats what I want if they cant think of anything else. Or I'll join afterwards.

Morgan
11-09-2008, 11:09 AM
you get a free magazine once a month... never really found anything in there of great importance, but it usually comes the few days before an event here - something to look forward to I guess

Tamago
11-09-2008, 11:14 AM
even getting into Autocross (solo2) will improve your driving skills, and is much less costly compared to track days.. i recommend starting there and going into full out track days after a few months.

cali yaris
11-09-2008, 12:45 PM
NASA = National Auto Sports Association. Home of the HPDE racing instruction program, which is very good.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/

mfratt
12-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Whats an SCCA membership cost? What do track days cost? I've been interested for a while, but I didn't want to track my autotragic BMW...