PDA

View Full Version : HELP! paint dings in the hood...

oktaren
07-25-2006, 08:03 AM
are there any hood protectors or bras or anything else out there for the liftback hood? i really don't WANT one...but i commute on a highway and my hood already has 3 dings in it, in only 3 days of driving it. does anyone know of anything available or have any suggestions?

Chris07LB
07-25-2006, 08:25 AM
RockBlocker.com = Clear 3M film protection.. Professional install is HIGHLY recomended!

Can't comment on the quality, but there have been a few kits on eBay as well.

fnkngrv
07-25-2006, 09:11 AM
I know a few people that use this stuff:

http://www.pro-tectfilm.com/products

They have their hood, front facial, and fenders covered in it.

fnkngrv
07-25-2006, 09:18 AM
How does does a CF hood handle small debris being flung on it?

Chris07LB
07-25-2006, 09:19 AM
I think I should really invest in this.. 120 highway miles to work, is sure to present a few chips. :frown:

Chris07LB
07-25-2006, 09:21 AM
How does does a CF hood handle small debris being flung on it?

The good CF hood companies, clear coat their hoods.. so you can chip the clear, but IF you get a nice chip in the weave itself, your screwed.. no way to "touch up" a chip in CF.

I have been very happy with my ViS CF hoods, btw. :thumbsup:

07WYarisRS
07-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Have you tried Dupli-color SHIELD

first off grab a touch up paint pen and fill in the chips.

The dupli-color SHEILD isa spray on temporary bra. Goes on like spray paint and comes off easy with a pressure washer or just a wash mit and soap.
It will protect it from small debris and is removable at any time.

I picked up a couple cans from advanced auto for $7. Spray it on and so far so good. protects the paint from minor chips, bugs and stains. I wash the car at least every other weekend and just wash off the old mask and in 15-20 minutes have a new one one for the next week. Washing the car take 1/2 the time because I don't have to scrub off bugs.
I have 10,000km of highway driving and only 1 tiny stone chip.

Comes in BLACK or Clear
I do the entire hood and front bumper and mirrors, I just tape off the lights and grill and use cardboard to cover the windshiels and windows. I use the clear so if I do get any overspray it's no big deal.
My sister used the black on her black Mini copper S and it looked real sharp (the mask look more of a metalic grafite color)

fnkngrv
07-25-2006, 10:22 AM
sounds like not a bad idea, but man that is a lot of maintenance it sounds like too, but hey if it works for you that is awesome:thumbsup: ....me I don't have the time for that much investment in it...I have to just be extra careful.

Chris07LB
07-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Have you tried Dupli-color MASK

I have seen the ad's on Tv for it.. if it works as good as you say it does, ill have to give this a try.

I wash/detail my car twice a week, so this might not be such a bad idea. :clap:

costaricandreams
07-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Please hook us up with some pics.

07WYarisRS
07-26-2006, 12:06 AM
pics of what?

it's clear...

Chris07LB
07-26-2006, 03:11 AM
pics of what?

it's clear...

:laughabove: :bellyroll:

Dawn Eshelman
07-26-2006, 03:58 AM
Kinda off topic, but involves the hood...

I was cleaning my engine compartment this past weekend. Just the 2nd time since I bought my car the first of May. Lifted the hood, and looked at the rod thinking "I should put the rod up". Tested the hood, and it seemed nice and secure. Started cleaning, the wind picked up, and slammed the hood down on my right hand, which was half in, half out of the engine compartment. Slammed it so hard, that the hood latched, with my hand caught inside. Suprised it didn't break anything...really sore, and nasty bruise though...

oktaren
07-26-2006, 07:46 AM
if i could find a good deal on the clear film...would anyone want to do a group buy?

oktaren
07-26-2006, 02:03 PM
no one is interested?

Chris07LB
07-26-2006, 06:33 PM
no one is interested?

:drinking: right here.

Chris07LB
07-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Kinda off topic, but involves the hood...

I was cleaning my engine compartment this past weekend. Just the 2nd time since I bought my car the first of May. Lifted the hood, and looked at the rod thinking "I should put the rod up". Tested the hood, and it seemed nice and secure. Started cleaning, the wind picked up, and slammed the hood down on my right hand, which was half in, half out of the engine compartment. Slammed it so hard, that the hood latched, with my hand caught inside. Suprised it didn't break anything...really sore, and nasty bruise though...

Ouch! Its just one of those BONE HEAD moves us men are programed to make sometimes. :biggrin:

Chaad32
07-26-2006, 07:54 PM
I would be interested in the clear thinggy at the right price....my dad had it on his Nissan Z and it worked great.

oktaren
07-26-2006, 09:25 PM
what thickness should i be looking for in the vinyl? anyone know...

TRD_Yaris
07-26-2006, 10:25 PM
no one is interested?

a guy sells these PRE-SHAPED and CUT for the Yaris on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-Yaris-2007-Full-kit-Clear-Paint-Protection_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50457QQihZ01 9QQitemZ8061784892QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

there are a few other people who sell this kit, now. But XtremeCity was the original seller of the design for the Yaris..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-YARIS-CLEAR-BRA-DELUXE-PAINT-PROTECTION-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63689QQihZ020QQitem Z300003622377QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

oktaren
07-27-2006, 06:01 AM
a guy sells these PRE-SHAPED and CUT for the Yaris on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-Yaris-2007-Full-kit-Clear-Paint-Protection_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50457QQihZ01 9QQitemZ8061784892QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

there are a few other people who sell this kit, now. But XtremeCity was the original seller of the design for the Yaris..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-YARIS-CLEAR-BRA-DELUXE-PAINT-PROTECTION-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63689QQihZ020QQitem Z300003622377QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

actually, that is one of the companies that i talked to about a group buy and they would be willing to do it. its 4 mil, which is why i asked what thickness we should use? someone said they used 8 mil i believe. but this company offers a 5 year warranty and has guarenteed that it will not turn yellow.

TRD_Yaris
07-28-2006, 04:29 AM
actually, that is one of the companies that i talked to about a group buy and they would be willing to do it. its 4 mil, which is why i asked what thickness we should use? someone said they used 8 mil i believe. but this company offers a 5 year warranty and has guarenteed that it will not turn yellow.

cool. I would be interested as well, i'm gonna put some cool stickers on top of the vinyl...just for pimp's sake...

Chris07LB
07-28-2006, 08:38 AM
cool. I would be interested as well, i'm gonna put some cool stickers on top of the vinyl...just for pimp's sake...

:laugh:

oktaren
08-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Ok, I have found some prices...and its a pretty good deal. They have 4 mil thickness, guarentee it for 5 years against anything (yellowing, damage, etc)

these are precut and shaped for the yaris. They will be around $18 for the hood or $18 for the bumper. If you would like both of them, you would get a discount and it would be $33 for both. They would all be shipped to my house for free but each individual would have to be willing to pay for shipping from my house to your house. I was told by the company it usually costs about $5 for one kit or the other, and about $8 for both combined.

We would only need 5 or more to get this deal, but even if we get more this is the cheapest they can give us, which is price they sell to dealers.

I will be posting something in the classified area as soon as i get a response from the company again just to make sure everything is ok. At that time I will post some more about the product etc.

anyone have any questions about the deal or the product itself?