PDA

View Full Version : Florida Grille Block?

drummerboy2004
11-17-2008, 02:15 AM
Hey All,

I have researched the other posts as much as I can, and still I cannot find the specific information I need. Here is the scenario... I live in Tampa, where winter temps have a high of between 65-75. I have noticed Bailout's rule of thumb regarding the grille block, but it does make mention of anything high as far as temps are concerned, but still a good post. Most are probably thinking... 70 is not cold enough to warrant the effort. But, I have been taking a blow(...that's what she said), a moderate one, but still a blow to my fuel efficiency. My main question is...

Since I only want to do either the top or bottom grille, and not both, which one is the one to do, and covering which sections of these should work to increase temps, but not too much?

Oh, and I am not doing anything fancy like others I have seen in similar posts, just using plain every day packing tape (saw Wayne use this method on the HCH). Any ideas regarding the question and my methods would be greatly appreciated. Or, you could respond, and not get at the question... that is fine too :laugh:

Thanks,

Matt

Loren
11-17-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't think you ever need to block the grille in FL to promote keeping the engine warm. (well, maybe if you do a lot of night driving in the winter months where the temp is down in the 40's at night... but even that is iffy) BUT, there may be benefit in blocking the grille for aerodynamics.

My opinion is this: The Yaris was designed to be drop-dead reliable in any weather, up to and including 120 degrees in the desert. The cooling system, and the airflow into it was designed to keep the car at operating temperature in that harsh environment.

In Florida, the highest summer temps are around 95, and in the other season (fall-winter-spring), the average is probably around 75-80. That's MUCH cooler than the extremes that the car was designed to handle, thus you should be able to get away with blocking SOME of the airflow to the radiator.

For my recent economy run, I taped the lower grille opening. I checked engine temp a few times and it was always a quite normal 180-182. No problem. I haven't pulled the tape yet, so I guess I'll leave it and do some more monitoring over the next couple weeks as temperatures rise. (it's rather cool here right now, highs in the low 70's)

By blocking the lower grille, at least half of the air that was entering the engine compartment and causing turbulence has been blocked. From what I've read on the hypermiling forums, this is likely a good thing.

I just used some heavy clear plastic packing tape to block mine. Nothing fancy, but it was intended to be temporary. Didn't even wash the car before I put it on. It's got bugs and autox cone marks under it!

drummerboy2004
11-17-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't think you ever need to block the grille in FL to promote keeping the engine warm. (well, maybe if you do a lot of night driving in the winter months where the temp is down in the 40's at night... but even that is iffy) BUT, there may be benefit in blocking the grille for aerodynamics.

My opinion is this: The Yaris was designed to be drop-dead reliable in any weather, up to and including 120 degrees in the desert. The cooling system, and the airflow into it was designed to keep the car at operating temperature in that harsh environment.

In Florida, the highest summer temps are around 95, and in the other season (fall-winter-spring), the average is probably around 75-80. That's MUCH cooler than the extremes that the car was designed to handle, thus you should be able to get away with blocking SOME of the airflow to the radiator.

For my recent economy run, I taped the lower grille opening. I checked engine temp a few times and it was always a quite normal 180-182. No problem. I haven't pulled the tape yet, so I guess I'll leave it and do some more monitoring over the next couple weeks as temperatures rise. (it's rather cool here right now, highs in the low 70's)

By blocking the lower grille, at least half of the air that was entering the engine compartment and causing turbulence has been blocked. From what I've read on the hypermiling forums, this is likely a good thing.

I just used some heavy clear plastic packing tape to block mine. Nothing fancy, but it was intended to be temporary. Didn't even wash the car before I put it on. It's got bugs and autox cone marks under it!

Thanks Loren... That answers everything! :w00t:

I will be driving to North Texas in a month, so I am sure it will come in handy... those temps get down to the 20's that time of year.

Once again thanks,

Matt