PDA

View Full Version : Are there any real adavantages to spoilers and 15 inch tires?

nwdixieboy
02-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Are there any real advantages to having the spoiler and 15 inch tires that come with the Yaris S, or are they purely to look tough?:

why?
02-17-2006, 08:42 AM
The 15 inch tires reduce the height of the sidewall which prolly makes the tires react better to being driven hard. The spoiler is prolly just for looks, as downforce at the rear is worthless on a front wheel drive car.

echo_hrs
02-17-2006, 09:13 AM
The spoiler does help to diffuse airflow, which helps keep the rear window more clear during rain etc...

corey415
02-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Are there any real advantages to having the spoiler and 15 inch tires that come with the Yaris S, or are they purely to look tough?:

Spoilers can be functional and useful on a car, regardless of the car drivetrain orientation. But for regular daily driving, the Yaris S spoiler wont make a difference. It is purely aesthetic.

The 15 inch tires are also mainly for aethestics as well. It will however slightly change the gearing ratios, but very slightly. The tire tread/material itself (all season, summer, performance oriented) is much more important when it comes to handling.

p2filz
02-17-2006, 09:15 PM
The 15 inch tires reduce the height of the sidewall which prolly makes the tires react better to being driven hard. The spoiler is prolly just for looks, as downforce at the rear is worthless on a front wheel drive car.
not true it keeps the tires in contact with the road its not useless! but i must also add that the yaris wouldnt make much use of it as it wont be going fast as it is. the 15 wont make much diff, it will give a more comfortable ride with 14, although the turning will be more comfortable with the 15's

swng
02-17-2006, 10:08 PM
A correctly installed spoiler can, among other things, reduce the car's drag coefficient. I do not know if the one on my RS really has that function though.