PDA

View Full Version : New Yaris owner/vibrations

D.A.L
02-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Hey all. Has anybody noticed a 'harmonic vibration' when driving around 100kph. It is fairly faint. It's a vibration that comes and goes at about 2 sec intervals. Something like - mmmmm......mmmmm.....mmmmm.......etc.(radio off, smooth road) I can feel it very slightly on the steering wheel but definitely with my left foot on the floor and I can also hear it.
I am going to bring it back to the dealer, as my car is only two weeks old but I thought I'd ask if anyone one else had noticed this.
Don.

kralmrax
02-17-2006, 04:29 PM
i haven't really noticed much of a "humming" while on the highway, but i do notice a rattle in the front end when my yaris is in reverse, it's driving me nuts. i notice a bit of a rattle sometimes coming from the back interior when driving at high speeds. does anyone else have these problems?

Polar_Yaris
02-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Yo D.A.L , i 've the same problem, just dropped off the car at service, the tech said that does not sound normal, he is going to call Toyota Canada to see if their is something about that issue....you should voice your complaint.

I posted this on the other thread
"Rattles are not as annoying as my car, hums at speed 90km/h and up.....I will get the dealer to look at it tomorrow......

And the engine bay has some rattling noise when I have the brakes press and it's in reverse ....auto tranny"

Man, I thought I was the only one getting a lemon....

Polar_Yaris
02-17-2006, 09:34 PM
You guys can check out the "technicial Talk" section, we have a similar issue there........

Polar_Yaris
04-13-2006, 12:55 AM
I called up Toyota Canada the other day, and told them about the humming noise I've with my car driving at speed 90km/h and up. The CSR told me to go back to the service and talk to the Manager. Which i did today, and the manager did look into the issue for me, Well, he said it looks like there is something to do with the automatic transmission. They 've to open up the tranny and do some work to it to see if the problem will go away. Well, I've scheduled for next week to have them fix that. He said I will be a 5 hours job........we will see what the result is, I will update you guys!!!!!!!Hopefully they can have that fix!!!!!

ricko
04-13-2006, 09:33 AM
You are absolutely sure it is not a harmonic vibration related to the dynamic imbalance of 4 Cyl. engines. This will sometimes set off sympathetic vibes, in the exhaust or bodywork. I have not encountered anything out of the ordinary in my 5-speed, but have very limited km's.

Ziv
04-13-2006, 10:54 AM
yeah guys, read thru tech page, we had similar problems before. Actually, the last time when I brought it back to the dealer due to the humming noise, they said somethin' about they have to re-tape somethin' behind my dash. Not sure what it is.....

stuffy
04-13-2006, 11:12 AM
i haven't had any problems with my 5 spd either, i wonder if this is something that is happening with autos only?

shtanna
04-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi there,

I've been viewing this forum for the past month. I just received my Yaris on Saturday. All the advice/info from all of you have made me confident in my decision; however, I do have a vibrating sound coming from the dash when I put the car in reverse and have the break pressed down. I popped my hood and had my wife sit in the car so I could check. When she moved from Park to reverse, I could see a lot of the components vibrate more. I don't know if it's normal, but I'll visit the dealer later today. The vibration disappears as soon as we step on the gas though. (while in reverse)

When driving on the highway, there is no vibration, but I can definitely hear the engine, but it's not too loud. (about 100km/hr).

Otherwise the car is great, and I've got 440Km on my first tank with 2 bars remaining.

GabL
04-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi there,

I've been viewing this forum for the past month. I just received my Yaris on Saturday. All the advice/info from all of you have made me confident in my decision; however, I do have a vibrating sound coming from the dash when I put the car in reverse and have the break pressed down. I popped my hood and had my wife sit in the car so I could check. When she moved from Park to reverse, I could see a lot of the components vibrate more. I don't know if it's normal, but I'll visit the dealer later today. The vibration disappears as soon as we step on the gas though. (while in reverse)

With regards to this noise, you can bring the car back to the dealer and have them fix it. Basically they have to install an insulation somewhere under the hood. Just talk to the technician about what happened and they'll be able to fix it. As from my technician, there is a service bulletin out for this issue as well. Good luck!

Polar_Yaris
04-13-2006, 04:56 PM
You are absolutely sure it is not a harmonic vibration related to the dynamic imbalance of 4 Cyl. engines. This will sometimes set off sympathetic vibes, in the exhaust or bodywork. I have not encountered anything out of the ordinary in my 5-speed, but have very limited km's.

Ricko, I am not 100% sure, however I have own quite a few 4 Cyl cars and none of them have that kind of problem. Well, I think most of my problems are related to the Automatic Tranny. I have not hear anyone complaint about their 5-speed Yaris. I picked auto because i am getting lazy......

Polar_Yaris
04-13-2006, 04:58 PM
With regards to this noise, you can bring the car back to the dealer and have them fix it. Basically they have to install an insulation somewhere under the hood. Just talk to the technician about what happened and they'll be able to fix it. As from my technician, there is a service bulletin out for this issue as well. Good luck!

GabL is right. Bring it back, they should know now on how to have that problem fix. Mine had the same problem and got fixed.

Idjiit
04-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Pretty sure I'm hearing this noise as well, my Yaris is a manual Liftback.

shtanna
04-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Ok, well, if it's normal, then I'll accept it. I called the dealership, so I'd have to bring the car in. It's a new car, so I need to be picky, I don't know what is/isn't normal. I hope it's a quick fix. What did they do Polar?

Schmingie
04-13-2006, 06:13 PM
I have a 5 spd Le 5 door and mine has this noise also. The dealer suspects that it may be a wheel bearing, but the problem is hard to diagnose.

Lets keep this threat going with any info anyone may have or gather over time.

S.

Polar_Yaris
04-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Ok, well, if it's normal, then I'll accept it. I called the dealership, so I'd have to bring the car in. It's a new car, so I need to be picky, I don't know what is/isn't normal. I hope it's a quick fix. What did they do Polar?

Shtanna

This was what I wrote on the other thread
"
Okay guys, just came back from service. Rattling noise is from "poor fit of a/t cable bracket at firewall" Fixed by "insulated bracket with silencer kit"....well one thing fixed.
The humming at hwy speed...the technician said it might be the resonance from the engine and the exhaust system, however, there was not much he can do now unless there are more ppl making the complaint and toyota will issue a service recall or something.......

WELL I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD GET THEIR YARIS ON HWY SPEED TO SEE IF THEY HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM

Polar_Yaris
04-13-2006, 06:32 PM
I have a 5 spd Le 5 door and mine has this noise also. The dealer suspects that it may be a wheel bearing, but the problem is hard to diagnose.

Lets keep this threat going with any info anyone may have or gather over time.

S.

Schmingie, are you talking about the humming noise at HWY speed?
Well, the service manager suspect there is an issue with the tranny...I'm taking it in and have them open up the tranny....

shtanna
04-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Ok, I'll quote what you stated above...'Rattling noise is from "poor fit of a/t cable bracket at firewall" Fixed by "insulated bracket with silencer kit"......as when I called they stated they are unfamiliar with the 2007 Yaris. I will drop it off Monday at 1pm. In the meantime, I'll keep an ear out while driving on the hwy. So far I've never gone above 110km/hr. I do hear engine noise whether I drive city/hwy, but I assume that is normal? It's very quiet when idling. Please explain the humming noise in a bit more detail, I'll compare it to my car when I go out tonight.............

Polar_Yaris
04-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Ok, I'll quote what you stated above...'Rattling noise is from "poor fit of a/t cable bracket at firewall" Fixed by "insulated bracket with silencer kit"......as when I called they stated they are unfamiliar with the 2007 Yaris. I will drop it off Monday at 1pm. In the meantime, I'll keep an ear out while driving on the hwy. So far I've never gone above 110km/hr. I do hear engine noise whether I drive city/hwy, but I assume that is normal? It's very quiet when idling. Please explain the humming noise in a bit more detail, I'll compare it to my car when I go out tonight.............

D.A.L has a really good discription
"Hey all. Has anybody noticed a 'harmonic vibration' when driving around 100kph. It is fairly faint. It's a vibration that comes and goes at about 2 sec intervals. Something like - mmmmm......mmmmm.....mmmmm.......etc.(radio off, smooth road) I can feel it very slightly on the steering wheel but definitely with my left foot on the floor and I can also hear it.
I am going to bring it back to the dealer, as my car is only two weeks old but I thought I'd ask if anyone one else had noticed this.
Don."

Mine start doing that when it hit 90km/h...and up

Polar_Yaris
05-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Schmingie, are you talking about the humming noise at HWY speed?
Well, the service manager suspect there is an issue with the tranny...I'm taking it in and have them open up the tranny....

OK Guys, I took the car to dealership two weeks ago to have the humming noise problem looked at. What they done was refit the torque converter by turn it 180 degree as it was suggested by Toyota Canada. It was a five Hours jobs....and it does NOT help with the problem. I can still hear and feel the humming. The the service manager said he will update me with any solution/info channel down from Toyota Canada. At this point, there's nothing else they can do. Anyways, the service Manager is very helpful in my case. However, I don't know what I should do now? Should I complaint to Toyota Canada..........:iono:

stuffy
05-09-2006, 07:30 PM
i would complain, definitely, they have to be able to fix the problem,

how many kms do you have on yours polar yaris?

Polar_Yaris
05-09-2006, 07:42 PM
i would complain, definitely, they have to be able to fix the problem,

how many kms do you have on yours polar yaris?

5000 kms.....I think I will call Toyota up and see what they can offer me, maybe cut the lease rate in half.........

foober
05-09-2006, 08:39 PM
I haven't had any odd noises in my new yaris liftback. I drove only trucks before I bought the yaris so I may be numb to noises anymore.

To be honest I'm amazed at how quiet it is inside driving at any speed.

If you do have a problem though I'd keep bugging the toyota people. With a new car I'm sure they don't know anymore than we do.

dandj
05-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Yes mine has the exact same 2-3 second humm@ 55-65 mph. and only when you hold it steady, a little gas or let off and it goes away. Mines an automatic. Please let us know what the problem is so we can let our dealer know. Mine never heard of it, but then it is new.

GoZO
08-23-2006, 09:23 AM
I have the same problem. 5 speed liftback yaris. I start hearing it when I get close to 70 mph.

I sounds like it is coming from near the parking break / shifter area.

Any news on how to fix this?

mikeukrainetz
08-23-2006, 12:10 PM
I had the same problem of off/on humming/ vibration at highway speeds with my 99 malibu and similar but not as bad with my Yaris. The problem with the malibu seemed to be with the tires going out of balance. I had the tires on the malibu replaced a couple of times and rebalanced a couple of times and it helped. Check the tire pressure consistently. The malibu was actually so bad at one point they couldnt rebalance the tires and warrantied all four.

BTW my yaris is a 5spd so this isnt a problem for auto only.

spacemanoeuvres
08-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Can't beleive I overlooked this thread!

I get the same noise at 70 mph. 2-3 mph over or under 70 and it goes away. Figured the car just had to be broken in but I'm almost at 5,000 miles and it still makes the same noise... :iono:

Chris07LB
08-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Can't beleive I overlooked this thread!

I get the same noise at 70 mph. 2-3 mph over or under 70 and it goes away. Figured the car just had to be broken in but I'm almost at 5,000 miles and it still makes the same noise... :iono:

Exactly, same here. :frown:

Dawn Eshelman
08-24-2006, 04:41 AM
Mine rattles when I put it into reverse, or back up...

jeffyen
08-24-2006, 07:41 AM
I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is the same as you folks. I'm hearing a 'whistling' sound above 80km/h. It's like a person blowing into a whistle, but standing very far away... a faint whistling Yaris...

Violin
08-24-2006, 10:51 AM
I get a very faint mmmm...mmmm...mmmm at 70 mph. I can't feel it but can hear it. I'm not sure I would have ever noticed it if I hadn't read this.

GoZO
08-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Mine sounds like a piece of metal vibrating against another piece of metal. It occurs in 2 second intervals when I am between 70 - 80 MPH.

It sound like it is coming from the shifter boot / parking break area. I removed the cover while I was driving but it is coming from underneath the metal.

Ugh.... Might be time for the dealer service guy to ride with me.

mikeukrainetz
08-24-2006, 12:34 PM
LOL, they all have that 'selective hearing' disease

ojars
08-24-2006, 02:29 PM
deer whistles!

GabL
08-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Mine sounds like a piece of metal vibrating against another piece of metal. It occurs in 2 second intervals when I am between 70 - 80 MPH.

It sound like it is coming from the shifter boot / parking break area. I removed the cover while I was driving but it is coming from underneath the metal.

I think that might be the heat shield around the exhaust if it's metal rattling.

GabL
08-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Mine rattles when I put it into reverse, or back up...

Read the first page, it is already mentioned there what to fix it.

pauljk
08-24-2006, 04:12 PM
You guys can check out the "technicial Talk" section, we have a similar issue there........

Polar_Yaris - can you give us a link, please? I don't see it.

I've noticed something similar on occasion at 60mph, but it's subtle, and I wasn't sure if my Rostra cruise control was doing it or not. Interesting to find others have noticed it too.

GabL
08-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Polar_Yaris - can you give us a link, please? I don't see it.

I've noticed something similar on occasion at 60mph, but it's subtle, and I wasn't sure if my Rostra cruise control was doing it or not. Interesting to find others have noticed it too.

I think that post is already removed due to the layout changes on this forum before. However, if you're speaking of the humming sound, I think there still no fix to it from Toyota yet.

Chris07LB
08-24-2006, 05:57 PM
I get a very faint mmmm...mmmm...mmmm at 70 mph. I can't feel it but can hear it. I'm not sure I would have ever noticed it if I hadn't read this.

Thats a good description of what I am hearing as well.

mikeukrainetz
08-24-2006, 06:09 PM
again, tire pressure / balance etc fixed my other car before

dandj
09-02-2006, 09:00 PM
I think I'll play with the tire presures. I just moved mine from 36 to 44 psi and seems to be worse. This would indicate a lot of misbalanced or bad tires for so many to have the exact problem.

07WYarisRS
09-03-2006, 12:19 AM
It's nothing to worry about it simply harmonic noise thats why most people notice it at about the same engine speed.
All engines produce harmonic vibrations some more then others and some at different speeds.

Try riding a V twin motorcycle at 80mph and you will know what I'm talking about.

My Laser has a harmonic vibration at 60mph and again at 110mph
my VLX had a harmonic vibration right at 55 but only in 4th gear (more engine load)

It's an econo box built light and rigid for a bigger car feel with a small engine. Most of the harmonic noise comes from the counterbalancers and timing chains as well as the transmission gears. If a person was to completely blueprint and balance the engine perfectly you could eliminate most of the vibrations but in any econo box your going to get some harmonic noise/vibrations.

FWIW My yaris and every other yaris had the exhaust rattle in reverce while not under load. It does this because of the torque load on the engine twisting against the exhaust and engine mounts

GoZO
09-25-2006, 12:45 PM

Well I finally had enough of this sound and took in the Yaris.

They fixed the noise.

Notes in the workorder.

"Found Heatsheild was out of adjustment. Raises and inspected made some adjustments to heat sheild on exhaust. Test drove again no further abnormal noise heard"

RUBBERDIPSTICK
12-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Bump. I have the same problem a humming/vibration coming and going at short intervals when traveling at 68-72 mph. I have 69k miles on my 2007 5 speed sedan.

Any resolution yet?

ricepower
09-29-2010, 12:16 PM
up

yaris-me
09-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Keep in mind we have a Yaris and not a Lexus. But the problem lies in the inline four. At higher RPM you will feel an engine vibration. Add to that, there are probably resonant or harmonic frequencies that will amplify that. The inline four above two liters has a balance shaft to help reduce engine vibration. Add another thing, a light weight body that lacks sound insulation or damping. The body has resonant or harmonic frequencies that will make vibrations more apparent.

To get rid of the vibration, make your next car one with an OHC V6.

echaru
10-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Just bought my Yaris. Got the same humming problem mmmmm....mmmmm....mmmmm... 60mph and up. But when I go faster 70mph+, the noise is not noticeable. Anyone found the fix yet?

so...UP

yaris-me
10-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Just bought my Yaris. Got the same humming problem mmmmm....mmmmm....mmmmm... 60mph and up. But when I go faster 70mph+, the noise is not noticeable. Anyone found the fix yet?

so...UP

Keep in mind that you bought a Yaris, one if the cheapest cars on the market. If you want to get rid of the hum, buy a more expensive car with more insulation and a V6 engine.

why?
10-28-2010, 12:31 PM
yea, the hum is just tire noise, all tires have a speed where they make a little more noise, it has to do with the frequency of everything going on. It is not a bad thing, and the only thing you can do to quiet it is add a few hundred pounds of insulation.

echaru
10-29-2010, 03:30 PM
So if everyone with Yaris is having this problem then I can rest easy tonight.

jadsnca
02-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Ricko, I am not 100% sure, however I have own quite a few 4 Cyl cars and none of them have that kind of problem. Well, I think most of my problems are related to the Automatic Tranny. I have not hear anyone complaint about their 5-speed Yaris. I picked auto because i am getting lazy......

I just bought a 5 speed manual and I got that humming noise too when driving at highway speeds above 90 kms/h. Never experienced that with any other 4 cylinder car.

jadsnca
02-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Thats a good description of what I am hearing as well.

That's exatly what mine sounds like< it goes away if I stop giving it gas or if I stick it in neutral.

jadsnca
02-05-2011, 04:46 PM
again, tire pressure / balance etc fixed my other car before

I just got new tires installed and balanced and that mmmmm.....mmmmm.....mmmmm is still there< its not the tires.

R2D2
02-06-2011, 08:46 PM
I think the noise is harmonics. Mine "went away" after I installed my Tanabe exhaust. :)

MadMax
02-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I think the noise is harmonics. Mine "went away" after I installed my Tanabe exhaust. :)

That's a great justification for getting a Tanabe exhaust! :thumbup:

I just wonder if my wife will buy it?! :eek: (the justification, not the exhaust! :biggrin:).

Cheers! M2

Flipper_1938
02-07-2011, 09:39 AM

Is that the same thing as fixing brake-squeel by turning up the radio?

R2D2
02-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Is that the same thing as fixing brake-squeel by turning up the radio?

I think so yes-works like a charm!

R2D2
02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
That's a great justification for getting a Tanabe exhaust! :thumbup:

I just wonder if my wife will buy it?! :eek: (the justification, not the exhaust! :biggrin:).

Cheers! M2

As good as any, yes! It's certainly worth a shot! My wife doesn't mind the exhaust at all, at least after the actual purchasing part!

Absolutely Red 12
11-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Hey all. Has anybody noticed a 'harmonic vibration' when driving around 100kph. It is fairly faint. It's a vibration that comes and goes at about 2 sec intervals. Something like - mmmmm......mmmmm.....mmmmm.......etc.(radio off, smooth road) I can feel it very slightly on the steering wheel but definitely with my left foot on the floor and I can also hear it.
Don.

I have that too over 60mph.
I feel it in the whole car, very low frequency, but faint.

AntrimMan
01-11-2013, 09:15 AM
same vibe here too.
2700 RPM, MT in N, clutch engaged, hand brake on or off, NO VIBE.
2700 RPM, any gear, clutch disengaged, hand brake on or off, NO VIBE.
2700 RPM, 1st or 2nd gear, vehicle at speed, NO noticeable VIBE.
2700 RPM, 3rd, 4th or 5th gear, the VIBE is progressively more noticeable as the gear ratio decreases.
The vibe is not solely related to vehicle speed, the engine at 2700 RPM in 5th gear is where the issue is most noticeable. So load is a factor.
The manual gear train is fairly whiney in this little car.
I have not complained to the dealer as yet. I haven't been back but it's in the not too distant future. I myself can't see any quick fix. Most likely a harmonic issue resulting from a design oversight, intentional or otherwise.
Has any one out there ever had the VIBE problem verified and correct by Toyota?
I'm not talking rattles or dash noises. The 62mph cyclic buzz is what I'm on about.

caper26
10-29-2013, 08:43 AM
I would say it is tire related. On the CP140 Aurora airplane, which has 4 engines, propeller, there is a device which synchs all 4 engines together to keep them in-phase. (synchro-phaser). This is slightly different than constant RPM (synchroniser).
See the first response to the OP here (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/32430/)(see "hummm hummm hummm")
My theory is that the tires have worn differently ever so slightly and might be rotating "out of synch".