PDA

View Full Version : my yaris, courier driving

jdleafs
11-30-2008, 11:24 AM
I've been reading through posts, and i'm really impressed by the fuel economy some you guys are getting....some people are getting around 700 km's a tank, that is crazy good....for me i see 400 kms when the last bar is blinking. That is peanuts compared to some of you but i have a lot of factors working against me- #1 and most obvious is how i run my car-from 830am right until 5pm, i'm on the road delivering packages-all city driving very short trips usually. There are other facors like climate and road conditions, but the nature in which i drive my car compared to every one else is why i yield such poor results- i was hoping to get better mileage out of this baby for the work i do, i'm kinda disapointed, the gas mileage is similar to what i was gettting with a 2000 corolla/ with that being said i absolutely love this car, tough as nails. Anybody have any insight, should i be concerned. Also is it better to put around 35psi instead of low 30's for tire pressure?

GeneW
11-30-2008, 11:32 AM
I've been reading through posts, and i'm really impressed by the fuel economy some you guys are getting....some people are getting around 700 km's a tank, that is crazy good....for me i see 400 kms when the last bar is blinking. That is peanuts compared to some of you but i have a lot of factors working against me- #1 and most obvious is how i run my car-from 830am right until 5pm, i'm on the road delivering packages-all city driving very short trips usually. There are other facors like climate and road conditions, but the nature in which i drive my car compared to every one else is why i yield such poor results- i was hoping to get better mileage out of this baby for the work i do, i'm kinda disapointed, the gas mileage is similar to what i was gettting with a 2000 corolla/ with that being said i absolutely love this car, tough as nails. Anybody have any insight, should i be concerned. Also is it better to put around 35psi instead of low 30's for tire pressure?

Couriers have to deliver things in a timely manner, don't they? They usually work during the day when there is lots of traffic, don't they" Lots of "stop 'n start" driving?

You could plan your routes carefully. Shut the car off when you've stopped it. Take advantage of Pulse 'n Glide when you can do so.

I think a Prius would have been a better bet for you. It seems to do better in City traffic than a Yaris.

As for tire pressure - some folks here approach very high tire pressures. I cannot do so because of the rotten road conditions here abouts.

Gene

Sodium Duck
11-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Some guy had a Yaris on here, who was also a courier. The gas struts on his hatch ripped out of the sheet metal. Anybody remember that? It was pre-hack.

And about tire pressure... in general, from the posts I've read, higher pressures yield better MPG.

Read the fuel economy stickies at the top of the forum. There are many techniques you can use to increase fuel economy.

TLyttle
11-30-2008, 02:05 PM
We have a rural postal route; not a lot of miles, but all stop and go, no straight run over 8km, we still get near 50mpg most of the time, over in the summer, under in the winter. We also run 5lbs over on tire pressure, and it does make a difference.

We find that keeping the boot out of it helps!

thebarber
11-30-2008, 02:14 PM
i drive from the north side downtown across the westmorland st bridge, drop off my wife, then head uptown and i consistently ran over 600km/ tank all summer w/ an intake...

it dips in winter, of course, but i dont know how youre driving to get 450-ish km/tank

i get that kind of mileage in my auto aveo...

dybbuk
11-30-2008, 02:29 PM
In my auto yaris I live northside and work in the industrial park; was right around 600 all summer with it. Who you workin for? From my experience in the taxi industry and what I've seen from a couple delivery guys I know you're better off running company cars in Freddy.

jdleafs
11-30-2008, 07:54 PM
"Take advantage of Pulse 'n Glide"- what is pulse n' glide?
"We find that keeping the boot out of it helps!" Tlyttle- by boot you mean the spare?
dybbuk- i work for Office Complete-we use our own vehicle....

Sodium Duck
11-30-2008, 09:02 PM
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5979

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9422

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4248

The stickies on fuel economy; will answer all the questions you just asked and then some.

TLyttle
11-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Boot? Spare? Right foot: the heavier it gets the worse your fuel mileage, simple as that. I could have put an eggshell under the throttle 20,000kms ago, and it would still be intact, hence 50mpg average. I also think that my brake pads will last a long time as well.