PDA

View Full Version : Rollover speed

Snyprwlf47
12-08-2008, 05:26 AM
I wanted to ask if anybody knew what the max amount of lateral force and or speed can the stock Yaris achieve without rolling over?

CASTREX
12-08-2008, 09:55 AM
I would say there is no exact answer to that question.

It depends on a lot of factors.

Road
Tires
Wind
Angle of the curve
Suspension
Driver!

Loren
12-08-2008, 04:08 PM
I've pulled average .998 G's (two laps each direction, 200' asphalt skidpad). That's on a custom tuned coilover suspension (K-Sport + custom rear springs + TRD swaybar + alignment) and really grippy street tires (195/55-15 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec). If I put a set of competition tires (slicks) on the car, I could easily do 1.1 G's or more.

But, that's really no answer to your question. Castrex gave a more correct answer.

If you go out and do something stupid, you can get any car to go over... especially one with a soft suspension.

The single most important factor in the equation is the driver. Your Yaris ain't gonna roll itself... nor is it going to get around a corner really fast a pull a lot of G's by itself.

In a steady-state turn (like a skidpad with a smooth driver), a stock Yaris is going to understeer before it rolls over. The front tires will simply give up at a certain speed and you'll start pushing outward in the turn. The only way to get the car to roll over is to introduce another variable that will trip up the car. Something like a hole or a curb or big chunk of something in the road... or simply a dumb driver input, like yanking the wheel in the opposite direction and then back again.

cali yaris
12-08-2008, 05:15 PM
yanking the wheel in the opposite direction and then back again.

BINGO -- that will roll your car for sure.

ddongbap
12-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Run some plastic tires with no grip. You'll never worry about rolling over

ddongbap
12-08-2008, 06:57 PM
If you go out and do something stupid, you can get any car to go over... especially one with a soft suspension.

The single most important factor in the equation is the driver. Your Yaris ain't gonna roll itself... nor is it going to get around a corner really fast a pull a lot of G's by itself.
What are you talking about? My Yaris got mad at me last night, and pulled a 180 in my parking spot. Weird.

RacerFreakXXX
12-08-2008, 08:50 PM
it really is... i rooled over a 240 that was 2" off the ground cuz it went off the side of a hill... it really depends on the road conditions, tires, suspension, and how you make the turn. I don't think you'd be able to get the cur up to a high enough speed and cut the wheel to make it flip over. If it was stock maybe if you were doing 100+ and ripped the ebrake it might.

natethegreat38
12-08-2008, 11:00 PM
What are you talking about? My Yaris got mad at me last night, and pulled a 180 in my parking spot. Weird.

:clap: :bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll:

ddongbap
12-09-2008, 12:07 AM
:clap: :bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll:

What, urs never did that?

natethegreat38
12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
no, but it yelled at me once for farting in it :iono:

cali yaris
12-09-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't think you'd be able to get the cur up to a high enough speed and cut the wheel to make it flip over.

I'm positive that I could -- but I think it's something we won't know for sure, 'cause I'm not trying to do that on purpose!

natethegreat38
12-09-2008, 03:08 PM
snyper- why would you want to know this anyhow? Are you driving that aggressively? Who are you planning on running away from?

ddongbap
12-09-2008, 07:03 PM
The Police. Who else is worthy of being run away from?

RacerFreakXXX
12-09-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm positive that I could -- but I think it's something we won't know for sure, 'cause I'm not trying to do that on purpose!

yea but you are also turbo :drool: and I think I would die a little inside if you did

ddongbap
12-09-2008, 10:27 PM
yea but you are also turbo :drool: and I think I would die a little inside if you did

A stock Yaris can hit 100+ mph. Thats plenty fast to flip something over. If you REALLY wanted to anyways.

RacerFreakXXX
12-09-2008, 11:27 PM
maybe if you were doing 100 on a downhill sloap and hit a sharp turn and cut the wheel but i've done it at 70 and you just slide

Snyprwlf47
12-11-2008, 09:38 PM
The Police. Who else is worthy of being run away from?

-Shifty eyes- I swear I disabled the running lights for good reasons...The only cop around that you shouldn't try to outrun is that damn charger>.<But no I ebrake in those situations... My reason for all of this is that I live in the mountains so most of my races are all acceleration and handling and I would just like to get a general idea of the rollover limit. The only idea of it I have got me in trouble, apparently the Wal-Mart parking lot at midnight isnt a test
track. Thanks for the input though guys:thumbup:

Loren
12-12-2008, 03:21 PM
If you want to test the handling limits of your car, find an autocross. Here's a good place to start: http://swvrscca.org/

Snyprwlf47
12-12-2008, 03:48 PM
If you want to test the handling limits of your car, find an autocross. Here's a good place to start: http://swvrscca.org/

Wow thanks^-^

ddongbap
12-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Only ONE true way to find out.......

thebarber
12-12-2008, 11:39 PM
I don't think you'd be able to get the cur up to a high enough speed and cut the wheel to make it flip over. If it was stock maybe if you were doing 100+ and ripped the ebrake it might.

ask merlin

stock ride height + r comps = written off @ auto-x

Lafiro
12-13-2008, 12:21 AM
I have a sedan. TRD springs. 205/45-17 Falken912 or whatever tires.

I can take turns at any speed I want.

I will skid before anything. Actually, I never felt the feeling of the car about to flip no matter how hard I make a turn.

I actually feel bad for my suspension. But I have mostly stopped that....

So as said, it all depends on the suspension, tires, speed, and DRIVER!!!

LtNoogie
12-13-2008, 12:26 AM

Darn you Loren, you got me hooked. Spare this person!

Loren
12-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Darn you Loren, you got me hooked. Spare this person!
First hit is free.

(and I'm really trying to spare him from himself... the stuff he's doing on the street is going to catch up with him eventually...)

nemelek
12-13-2008, 02:32 PM
There has been a few roll overs that was posted in this forum. They probably got lost in the hack.

Snyprwlf47
12-13-2008, 08:57 PM
First hit is free.

(and I'm really trying to spare him from himself... the stuff he's doing on the street is going to catch up with him eventually...) Yeah PoPo are watching me>.< They at least flash there lights just as a warning when they see me, but that Auto-X is held within 30 minutes of my house and I didnt even know!!!

Loren
12-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah, we joke about SCCA being the "Secret" car club of America. Go have some fun, man. You'll learn a lot.

ddongbap
12-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah PoPo are watching me>.< They at least flash there lights just as a warning when they see me, but that Auto-X is held within 30 minutes of my house and I didnt even know!!!

Thats tight. I used to get pulled over more than once by the same few cops. It got to the point where they'd round my car, see my face, and let me go. No matter what car I'd be in.

turboyaris
12-23-2008, 01:16 PM
There is actually an equation for the theoretical roll over speed of a vehicle... This assumes that the tires will hold at this speed, and that the ground is flat as well. Different conditions will obviously change this number. This also assumes that the Center of Gravity is along the centerline of the vehicle, which I don't know if it does or not. If it doesn't its a slightly longer equation but still not that difficult. This will give you a close enough figure if you really want to know. You would also have to determine, or take an educated guess as to the height of the center of gravity.

Max Speed= (2.74)* [the square root of (Radius of the turn* Track width)/ Center of Gravity Height]

Where the speed would be in MPH, the radius of the turn, track width, and center of gravity would all be in feet.