PDA

View Full Version : Scratch-X vs. Color-X

Dave
12-10-2008, 11:43 PM
What's better at removing swirl marks and minor scratches, Meguiar's Scratch-X or Color-X? Or does anyone have a special "secret weapon" they'd like to share? I'm looking for something that I can use on the whole car; elbow grease and time are not an issue in this labour of love :wink:

I have a nautical blue sedan, and every little everything shows up on the paint. I'd like to give it a good cleanup and waxing before winter really sets in.

adamkane
12-12-2008, 02:01 AM
are the swirl marks from an amateur machine polish? Some of these "swirl" marks can be troublesome to remove. If you have experience with an angle polisher, polish the car with a soft machine pad using a ultrafine renovator at a low speed-do not heat up the paint! use a very small amount of polish, on a 160' size pad use a pea size amount of polish, when you feel the polish is becoming inactive spray the bodywork with a light misting of water-this will reactivate the polish enough to deal with light duty work. Option II. If the "Swirl" marks are not too bad you can machine the car using your soft machine pad along with a good quality wax, any good quality wax will cover any paint issues like "swirls" I am an Autoglym U.K. trained auto Valet (detailer) so to recomment a product that I know well and is receiving sterling reviews is Autoglym High Definition wax, It is a new product but is an easy to use and exceptionally high quality wax with a good lifespan, the downside...its not at all cheap. Here in Canada it retails for about $180 :( if you look on Ebay you can find it cheaper but prob only out of the U.K.
Hope th is helps ya, forgive the biased product referal, but it does work well. Good Luck

_S7V7N_
12-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Read the Packaging on your swirl mark remover, i know most of the professional products require you to use a buffer at a speed of 1000-1400 rpm's. If you're gonna try it by hand make sure the swirl mark remover isn't abrasive like compound is because you'll end up doing more harm than make it look better. If somebody did happen to buff on your car using compound and tht's the cause of the swirl marks then congradulate them then slap them over the head. You'll have to 3 stage your vehicle which would require you to 1st stage - buff vehicle using medium compound at 1400 rpm's using a medium compound. 2nd stage - use swirl mark remover or polish at 1400which will fill in the crevices made by the initial buffing. 3rd stage use a good wax at about 1000 rpm's. i'd highly recommend using a foam pad vs a wool pad cause if done improperly the wool will leave more swirl marks. The foam pads come in different grades kinda like how sandpaper works, you wanna use one of the more agressive pads for the initial stage with the compound, then go to a finer grade with the swirl mark remover, then the softest pad for the wax stage. If you try any of this, try at your own risk, or take it to a professional detail shop.