PDA

View Full Version : Another day Autocrossing at California Speedway

LtNoogie
12-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Today was the first day with the new supercharger at the track. Weather was perfect and turnout was small so we got four runs in.

1st run - 75.742 sec. (no boost, with passenger)
2nd run - 71.115 sec. (with boost, with passenger)
3rd run - 69.757 sec. (with boost, with passenger)
4th run - 72.981 sec. (with boost, no passenger, spun out but still finished)

I was hoping to break 65 sec. on the last run but I entered a sharp turn too fast and the next thing I knew, I did a 360. Finishing the run was slower because I was a little shaken up. First spin in any car.

It's too bad my passenger did not shoot video on my fourth run. He said that you could hear the S/C screaming from halfway across the course.

I really need an open-faced helmet. This thing is too hot.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/LtNoogie/AutoX/DSC00638.jpg

Starting line

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/LtNoogie/AutoX/DSC00640.jpg

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/LtNoogie/AutoX/DSC00645.jpg

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/LtNoogie/AutoX/DSC00650.jpg

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/LtNoogie/AutoX/DSC00651.jpg

Trying not got get run over by STI's and EVO's while working the course.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/LtNoogie/AutoX/DSC00664.jpg

Representing YarisWorld and relaxing after my runs. Full on helmet head.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/LtNoogie/AutoX/DSC00658.jpg

KCALB SIRAY
12-14-2008, 06:17 PM
yay, way to go Noogie

LtNoogie
12-14-2008, 06:24 PM
It was a blast. And better yet, my passenger had a blast. He's thinking of racing his Saab 9 3 next year.

SIPNGAS
12-14-2008, 06:56 PM
I'd like to volunteer to be a passenger! :biggrin:

No, really, it looks like you had a GREAT time. I'm quite sure you'll hit 65 seconds or less next time at the track. :thumbup:

thebarber
12-14-2008, 06:59 PM
lookin good!

how did the rest of the people do time-wise?

cleong
12-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Better to have had your first spin in a controlled condition than on public road.

I spun out twice, once was on a slippery bend on a road and the second time was on a track. Both times I was lucky that I didn't hit anything but I have to admit I was a passenger once the car came around.

thepoche
12-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Awesome! Now that's a supercharger put to good use :clap:

jkuchta
12-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Very cool Bro...I'm thinking about doing the Speedventures day on Sunday, Jan. 11th. Wanna come?

cali yaris
12-14-2008, 09:22 PM
is that autocross, or the infield on Jan 11?

way to go Noogie, you rock!!

jkuchta
12-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Sorry about that...It's at the Streets of Willow........so excited I forgot to say where it was before!

laszlo
12-14-2008, 10:51 PM
good job i would like to go to the speed ventures if you guys get somthing going

Malaya1221
12-14-2008, 11:14 PM
nice, great job!

TEHxFALLEN V1.2
12-15-2008, 02:22 AM
Looks like you had a blast!! I agree with thepoche, that's a supercharger put to good use!

Yaris ftw!

eTiMaGo
12-15-2008, 04:26 AM
wow, some people may say the supercharger gives on "only" a small power boost, but these numbers show that for a small car like the yaris, it's pretty darn effective! well done!

LtNoogie
12-15-2008, 09:26 AM
wow, some people may say the supercharger gives on "only" a small power boost, but these numbers show that for a small car like the yaris, it's pretty darn effective! well done!

Part of the improvement is additional familiarity with the course on each subsequent run. A large part of the improvement is all that additional torque available at low RPMs. You don't realize how much lag there is with the drive-by-wire setup and the little car. The Yaris launches out of the turns now and that's where I was previously giving up a lot of my time.

Someone else will have to report on how the supercharger improves open track performance.

I still have the barrier of not being a good race driver yet. By the end of next year I expect to have more experience under my belt... and who knows what other mods.:rolleyes:

CASTREX
12-15-2008, 10:32 AM
I still have the barrier of not being a good race driver yet. By the end of next year I expect to have more experience under my belt... and who knows what other mods.:rolleyes:

That's the spirit...! :thumbsup:

You should really start thinking on a track dedicated set of wheels and tires...

cali yaris
12-15-2008, 01:22 PM
who knows what other mods.

I HAVE SOME IDEAS :wink:

SIPNGAS
12-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I HAVE SOME IDEAS :wink:

Ya think? :bellyroll:

LtNoogie
12-15-2008, 08:18 PM
You should really start thinking on a track dedicated set of wheels and tires...

Are my 10lb wheels considered appropriate for the track? Or do I want some ugly but beefy wheels? The Motegi's were a bit pricey and it would be painful to have to buy another set just for the infrequent race days.

I can't imagine heavy steelies improving track performance.

However, I can understand buying a set of stickier tires just for racing.

Also, I drive the little car to the track. Do people stuff four wheel/tire sets into their car and then change them there? I saw where people pulled little trailers just with their race tires in them.

jkuchta
12-15-2008, 08:28 PM
What you could do is get a set of steelies for the street, and put some sticky rubber on the wheels you have now for track duty.

As far as transporting said wheels/tires......cheapest thing to do is get a set of tire totes and just drop the back seat down (or better yet, gut the back!). Even with stock suspension you can get one whole side of the car off the ground with a single jack, which makes tire changes pretty easy trackside.

CASTREX
12-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Are my 10lb wheels considered appropriate for the track? Or do I want some ugly but beefy wheels? The Motegi's were a bit pricey and it would be painful to have to buy another set just for the infrequent race days.

I can't imagine heavy steelies improving track performance.

However, I can understand buying a set of stickier tires just for racing.

Also, I drive the little car to the track. Do people stuff four wheel/tire sets into their car and then change them there? I saw where people pulled little trailers just with their race tires in them.

wow 10lbs motegi's. Nice! Didn't know you were running on those.

All you need now is some rubber then!

If you drive your car to the track and want to keep it on a budget you can get some Falken Azenis RT-615 or Dunlop direzza star spec.

Those are not very expensive and you still would be able to drive them safely to the track. You can even get decent mileage out of them if you wish to keep them for daily usage thru the summer.

LtNoogie
12-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Dang! And I thought that racing would be an inexpensive hobby.:tongue:

thebarber
12-15-2008, 09:32 PM
lol, i had some extra steelies with 185-60-14 r-comps on them....just chuck 'em in the back of the yaris.....bring a jack and do it all at the track....thats what i did

happen to have the 14" steelies for sale if you want to buy 'em....

14" steelies are only 14lbs each and you can fit decent sized r comps on 'em. what you need to do is get on your local scca forum and pick up some used r-comps....lots of guys (especially with miatas (which, btw have the same offset, bolt pattern and hub bore as a yaris)) will sell off tires that are less that 50% tread because theyre not AS effective.

i say pick up some used rims and r comp tires to try 'em.....shouldnt be TOO expensive

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/dabarber/yaris/100_5895.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/dabarber/yaris/100_5896.jpg

cleong
12-17-2008, 07:25 AM
I'd spend money on brake and tire upgrades next.

Those two things'll allow you to brake harder, later, for a longer time, carry more speed into and out of corners, buying you more laptime, perhaps as much a gain as that extra 30hp from the SC did.

Russelt3hPirate
12-19-2008, 06:16 PM
brakes? for autox? nah.

just get some better street tires.

Dunlop Z1 Star Specs or even some Falken RT615s.

you'll notice a big difference in the autox performance. :)

LtNoogie
12-20-2008, 12:54 AM
Does anyone have an opinion on the Kuhmo ECSTA XS? They were designed to be "Falken killers" and priced similarly to the Falken RT615s.

mojoyaris
12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Congrats! Keep up the good work. I'm very happy to see the SC helps out.

Tires, you need tires.

mojoyaris
12-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on the Kuhmo ECSTA XS? They were designed to be "Falken killers" and priced similarly to the Falken RT615s.

We have alot of guys using Kuhmo at the VCMC events here in BC. Kumho is one of their sponsors and alot of the guys there have V710's, very sticky.
I have a set in the garage. :)

The Ecsta XS tires are ok. But you may really want to try R-comps and considering you have the SC you're in a category that's already pretty tough as it is. Tires will help alot. Do you have the suspension to match this?
You'll want to get the suspension done up.

Unless you want to stay in street class try the Kumhos. Otherwise, once you've gone into R-comps. It's hard to go back.

cali yaris
12-22-2008, 02:13 AM
I don't think I'd use this on the street, but here is the V710:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_ecsta_v710_ci2_l.jpg

LtNoogie
12-22-2008, 02:31 AM
Ouch! Tire Rack wants $186 a tire for the V710 in 205/50ZR15.

Russelt3hPirate
12-22-2008, 12:47 PM

They are newer so in theory they should be better, but they aren't proven yet.

I think the Dunlop Z1 Star Specs are still cheaper.

Ouch! Tire Rack wants $186 a tire for the V710 in 205/50ZR15.

it's well worth it, you would only use them at the track so they last a long time when properly rotated and with the right amount of camber.

you will need a 2nd set of wheels, no point in putting them on the stockers really, you "could" but it'd be funny to have lighter street wheels.

pick up a set of 15x7 Enkei RPF1s, slap on the V710s you'll have a pretty sweet autox setup.

then all you need is a coilover suspension (properly setup).

although I would suggest getting better tires on the Motegi's and learning how to drive the car before changing anything else.

mojoyaris
12-22-2008, 11:13 PM
If you were here up in Canada, I have a set of V710's 205/50/15's.
I also have a set of Yokohama a048 softies the same size.
DNGZ's been using that set last summer.
Treadwear ratings are 70 for both tires.
I noticed you already have the TRD shocks and springs and the rear swaybar. This is good enough. The tires will make a difference.

LtNoogie
12-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks to all of you for your advice because it appears to come from real track experience. The only thing holding me back right now is the cost of four new wheels and tires. I'll start setting aside money and by mid-year will get a dedicated track set.

Russelt3hPirate
12-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks to all of you for your advice because it appears to come from real track experience. The only thing holding me back right now is the cost of four new wheels and tires. I'll start setting aside money and by mid-year will get a dedicated track set.

get some Enkei RPF1s in a 15x7 and a nice 205/50/15 be it a street tire or R-comp.

do it! :D

thebarber
12-24-2008, 05:44 PM
get some Enkei RPF1s in a 15x7 and a nice 205/50/15 be it a street tire or R-comp.

do it! :D
lol, cus thats the cheapest way...