PDA

View Full Version : Official Michigan Thread

train317
12-20-2008, 09:42 AM
I figured all of us in Southeast Michigan needed a thread to exchange info and/or ideas. My hope is to set up a car meet somewhere in Southeast Michigan or Northern Ohio this spring. Any and all ideas for locations for current or new events would be appreciated!:thumbup:

thebarber
12-20-2008, 01:33 PM
my sister-in-law is in rochester hills, mi

maybe someday when we're visiting we should set something up...

train317
12-20-2008, 11:16 PM
yes that woud be very cool! I went to college in the Rochester Area.

toad
12-21-2008, 01:01 PM
my family vacations in southwest michigan every week of july 4th on the lake. i might be able to make a day trip across the state for a meet.

Black Yaris
12-21-2008, 03:10 PM
I can see Michigan from my house :)

detroiter
02-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Checking in

ricktoyota73
02-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Grand Rapids here. I would dig a get together this spring or summer.
I think road construction is going to be a real bitch this summer. Roads are in terrible condition and MI just got a bunch of money, so here come the orange barrels!
I will keep my eye on this thread. Not planning on the OH thing in a couple weekends...still getting snow here and don't want to put my nice wheels on yet, especially with the potholes.

Black Yaris
02-25-2009, 10:56 PM
I always wanted to get a CAN-AM meet going..... Niagara Falls

yaris prime
02-27-2009, 04:34 PM
New the the forum, just picked up my Yaris on Monday.
I'm in Byron, Michigan.

thebarber
02-28-2009, 09:16 PM
I always wanted to get a CAN-AM meet going..... Niagara Falls

theres a matrixowners.com meet in Eire, PA the weekend of may 30th this year....i hit the big meet in boston last fall

likely to be one in canadia this fall if all goes well....

meet is always open to all people/cars as not all the boys have matrixs anymore....

not sure ill make it to the PA meet in may since i have a little one coming shortly...

ricktoyota73
03-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Would anybody be up for a meet on the Lake Michigan shore this summer? I can't be gone away for a long day or overnight much because I live alone and have a dog that needs to get outside. Not as many import enthusiasts on the west side of the state as the east it seems, too.
We have some nice beach towns here. Grand Haven is nice for cruising and photos, so are Holland and Muskegon. Muskegon does a summer celebration every year with rides and bands, usually later July, I think. Some guys from Kzoo Rice are talking about a run to South Haven in June that I might check out. Also, there is the 28th Street Metro Cruise in Grand Rapids in August, mostly classic/hot rod/muscle, but imports are on the scene, too.
I got in on a couple poker runs with some guys from Kalamazoo when I had my Scion and it was a blast. I would like to hang out with other fun car enthusiasts again.

train317
03-21-2009, 08:53 AM
I think that sound s like a great idea...Grand Haven is a beautyful town. Hung out one night many years ago in a club called Lauguna Beach Club..had a great time...probably not around anymore.. there was a very large bar on a corner that had pool tables and seating on the roof??? Can't remember the name. Overall a very nice area for a meet.:headbang:

detroiter
04-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Depending when, I'd be interested in a yaris meetup.

SIPNGAS
04-01-2009, 11:41 AM
ooo..I could take the boat over there. =)

A-tron
04-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Bay city checking in. Woot?

Morgan
04-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm moving to south west Michigan in a few months?

...honestly I'm terrified of snow... but don't tell anyone

33OH
04-09-2009, 11:10 AM

Why would you move from FL to MI? Or anywhere in the Midwest for that matter. :tongue:

toad
04-10-2009, 01:04 PM

...honestly I'm terrified of snow... but don't tell anyone

your secret is safe with us:smile: just get some snow tires and you'll have no worries! i've lived in the midwest my entire life and 7 months a year there is nowhere i'd rather be! i'll admit winters can get a little old(snow in late march/early april), but spring thru fall is spectacular(fall is my favorite with all the changing colors). southwest michigan is a particularly nice place to be with lake michigan not too far away and a lot of neat little 'lake towns' along the coast. many people from chicago vacation in this area every year! speaking of chicago, it's my favorite 'big city'. the food, people and culture are great....and it's only a 2-4 hour drive from southwest michigan! wow! i just realized how cheezy all this sounded(like some 'explore michigan' commercial)!:help:

Morgan
04-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Why would you move from FL to MI? Or anywhere in the Midwest for that matter. :tongue:

I'm done with the humidity and 95*+ temps, I grew up in England where the temperature was moderate and there were actual seasons. In Florida you get hot and slightly less than hot, then for two weeks in January it gets down to 35 once or twice at night... great for old people I guess ;)

your secret is safe with us:smile: just get some snow tires and you'll have no worries! i've lived in the midwest my entire life and 7 months a year there is nowhere i'd rather be! i'll admit winters can get a little old(snow in late march/early april), but spring thru fall is spectacular(fall is my favorite with all the changing colors). southwest michigan is a particularly nice place to be with lake michigan not too far away and a lot of neat little 'lake towns' along the coast. many people from chicago vacation in this area every year! speaking of chicago, it's my favorite 'big city'. the food, people and culture are great....and it's only a 2-4 hour drive from southwest michigan! wow! i just realized how cheezy all this sounded(like some 'explore michigan' commercial)!:help:

Kinda like a commercial, but I can't wait. There are actual tracks in sw Michigan and the towns are adorable. My mom's family lives in Muskegon and my Dad's family lives just outside of South Haven, we've been leaning towards South Haven for a while - I'd miss the beaches here for sure but his family will never leave the Gulf Coast so I'm sure I could visit every now and then.

I think some snow tires for the yaris.... or maybe a wrx and I could live with the snow :)

A-tron
04-11-2009, 01:15 PM
you dont need a wrx, i only got stuck once in the 2 years that i have had my yaris. and that was on a beer run in the midle of a blizard. i think we got like 8inches that night in 4 hours or something. but the yaris holds its own in the snow.

A-tron
04-11-2009, 01:17 PM

Its all the jobs that we have up here.............:frown:

train317
04-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Does anyone know about an event or car show that we could all meet at for the first time in Michigan? That might be an easier way to hook up.

SeaYa
04-13-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm schemeing to get out of MI by the end of this summer :evil:, but until then, I'm up for any local meets. I'm a dozen miles north of the D. Oh! If you really want to make people happy around here, try the "Out of a car yet? Keep buying domestic!" bumper stickers.

detroiter
04-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Oh yeah, I know exactly what you mean! So if your a dozen or so miles north of Detroit, I'd imagine your around Warren or Sterling/Madison heights? I'm ALWAYS out that way. Shoot me over a PM sometime and lets try to get a group of Yarii's together or whatnot.

By the way, lets start a bumper sticker that says "Tired of walking yet? Keep buying American!"...that'll really liven up the area, we might even make local news!

33OH
04-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Its all the jobs that we have up here.............:frown:

For sure, 12.9% unemployment is very attractive. (at least that's what it is in my county in OH)

detroiter
04-17-2009, 01:25 AM
I want to say that it's near 14% here although I might be mistaken. I can say for sure though that it's very close to that number.

toad
04-17-2009, 09:35 AM
I want to say that it's near 14% here although I might be mistaken. I can say for sure though that it's very close to that number.

that's nothing! one of the counties in northern indiana(where they manufacture all the rv's - or at least 'used to manufacture') has been hovering between 18-20% for the last several months. obama has been using it as the 'poster child' for his turnaround plan. i've heard things are bad in detroit too! the mayor of indianapolis was mugged there recently when he attended the ncaa basketball final four. let's hope things get better soon for all of us!

train317
04-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Good news for those looking for a Toyota event. Check out the following web site www.jrcruise.org Dunning Toyota is going to be a hub site for the cruise that would allow us to gather and represent!!!! Hope to see as many of you as possible. I have already signed up..and best of all it's free!!!!! Check it out!!!!

Cosworth
06-29-2009, 10:08 AM
hola!

detroiter
06-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Anyone interested in meeting up soon? It's pretty warm out now!

Cosworth
06-30-2009, 03:08 PM

I'd be up for it. I'm ~2.5 hours from any place in the lower peninsula and I travel quite a bit in MI. It would be nice to meet up on the westcoast of MI since it's finally nice out.

-SC

Morgan
06-30-2009, 10:59 PM
ohh how I miss the western coast of Michigan... esp this time of year!! Dont let the nice weather pass you guys up!

toad
07-01-2009, 06:27 PM

i'll be in the southwestern corner of michigan from july 12 - 14th for a family vacation. i might be able to take a short road-trip (no further than 1 hour - it is my 'family' vacation:smile:) while the rest camp out at the beach, for a quick meet/lunch.

TylerJ
07-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Anyone know the window tint laws in Michigan ? I have found some sources online but wanted to hear what someone with tint might have to say.

markitect
07-28-2009, 12:35 PM
I'll be driving my Yaris at the Open Track Day at Waterford Hills this weekend. They have waived late fees, and right now there are less then 25 people signed up. Check out http://www.waterfordhills.com, or myautoevents.com for details.

ricktoyota73
08-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Anyone know the window tint laws in Michigan ? I have found some sources online but wanted to hear what someone with tint might have to say.

I don't know this exactly, but I do know that you can't have your front 2 side rolldown windows tinted. You can tint a 4" or so strip at the top of them, but not the whole window. Rear sides and back windows, I think you could paint black, if you wanted to.
I have been going with dark tint on the rear windows and a shade or two lighter on my front doors on my last few cars and haven't had any problems...yet. Check with a tint shop and they can give you the real lowdown.

glhsracer
08-21-2009, 09:34 PM
North Branch, thumb area checking in.

thebarber
08-22-2009, 07:17 PM
ill be in michigan for american thanksgiving

detroiter
10-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Which part of Michigan? If it's close by, I wouldn't mind meeting up and saying hi, check out your ride, etc.