PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for Gas increase!

Yawesh
12-29-2008, 06:22 PM
get ready!

enviri
12-29-2008, 07:03 PM
i'm ready!

DFA
12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm not =(

darthbauer
12-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Ready and don't really care. I'm not going out and buying an SUV anytime soon.

pixiedixie862
12-29-2008, 08:06 PM
^ same here... I don't mind as long as the gas doesnt go over $5 a gallon again.

gid
12-29-2008, 09:41 PM
this in reference to ISRAEL / PALESTINE conflict and the possibilty that HEZBOLLAH or IRANIAN / SYRIAN involvement that could escalate to air strike on IRAN for supplying the rockets to HAMAS / HEZBOLLAH and the threat of nukes . PEACE ON EARTH . MY :moon: . Never gonna happen . Can't even get along in here on occasion . Makes me think IRAN is telling HAMAS or HEZBOLLAH to strike like they did few years ago just to test OBAMA and his administration . Wonder if RUSSIA may have told or suggested IRAN / SYRIA to step up the pressure , they've been quite active with flexing their muscle as of lately in our backyard and abroad :iono: .

darthbauer
12-29-2008, 11:31 PM
It's kind funny that I read this thread right before I left work and sure enough on the way home from work gas had gone up since I left for work.

CKaelin
12-30-2008, 10:28 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/opinion/27sat1.html?_r=1&ei=5070&emc=eta1

TAX IT BABY!

SuperFunBall
12-30-2008, 11:13 AM
It does not surprise me one bit. Both Russia and Iran's are in the dumps do to the fact they set their goverment budgets at oil being between 100.00 and 120.00 a barrel, a staple for their economies.

rningonfumes
12-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Many of the world's oil rich economies/budgets were relying on 100+ bar oil. They never expected such a plunge. They were ready to spend it like they had it.

Hope they don't tax it so soon, (gas taxes-- New congress and Obama just may). Low gas prices would be more of a jolt to the economy than a stimulus could ever do.

I'm ready though... and if it ever gets too high, I'll get a motorcyle and a road bike.

gid
12-30-2008, 12:35 PM
high heating bills and gasoline prices helped to fuel this economic crisis . Many people use their credit cards to fill their gas guzzlers and to top off their oil / propane tanks . Plus the high fuel drove up the price of food putting more of a pinch on many . The CREDIT CARD business is expected to be next and is said to be worse than the downfall of housing . So , another larger bailout for banks is on the horizon . Seen on CBS news last night that LARGER vehicles are outselling small cars ( PRIUS , YARIS , etc. ) due to low gas prices and the large discounts on them . Thus setting us all up for a bigger fall if gas prices soar . PEOPLE JUST DON'T GET IT :stupid: . :rolleyes: . If there's another spike in gas , diesel , heating oil , propane , and natural gas we'll encounter catastrophic results . We the people have to come to reality that what we do impacts all on this planet in the present and future . Therefore many are unknowingly / knowingly killing their children and grandchildren's life ahead :frown: . IGNORANCE is BLISS :bonk:. :biggrin:

gid
12-30-2008, 12:49 PM
It does not surprise me one bit. Both Russia and Iran's are in the dumps do to the fact they set their goverment budgets at oil being between 100.00 and 120.00 a barrel, a staple for their economies. How true . The RUSSIANS need IRAN to pay for their nuclear program and arms that they supply to them . It's a chess match between the super powers and the little people in this world are its pawns ( or should I say commodities $ ) .

CrazedEpidemic
12-30-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't mind if it goes up to $2/gallon. I think it should be taxed to $4/gallon to continue our path to a greener world and we should get rebates to offset the taxes so the money stays in America.

kou
12-30-2008, 03:21 PM
dont really care gas is still a whole lot cheaper at $5 a gallon than a drink from starbucks.

gid
12-30-2008, 03:37 PM
I don't mind if it goes up to $2/gallon. I think it should be taxed to $4/gallon to continue our path to a greener world and we should get rebates to offset the taxes so the money stays in America. OBAMA and his people make 55 m.p.h. mandatory for all of U.S. , lot of lead foots out there . The revenue from tickets could be used to rebuild roads ( create jobs ) , hire more police ( to enforce speed limit = more $ ) , and used towards alternative energy . Last , the rest of the misused bailout money given to the auto manufacturers should be sent as a stimulus check (ex. $1,000 ) to the people to purchase an AMERICAN made vehicle of their choice that get good gas mileage , for example : 32 m.p.g. highway or better . Any suggestions welcome . LET'S PASS A BILL ($ ) OF OUR OWN :wink: . :biggrin:

PetersRedYaris
12-31-2008, 09:18 PM
That sort of sounds like government subsidized cars... All the stimulus/bailout packages need to stop. That's what is really setting us up for disaster.

GeneW
01-02-2009, 02:48 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/opinion/27sat1.html?_r=1&ei=5070&emc=eta1

TAX IT BABY!

Furthermore, even if the government managed to convert General Motors, Chrysler and Ford to the cause of energy efficiency, cheap gas could open the door for a competitor — Toyota, perhaps? — to take over the lucrative market for gas-chuggers, leaving Detroit’s automakers eating dust once again.

.....this only argues for the Government getting its filthy hands off of the US auto industry, not raising the price of gasoline to fund whatever idiotic "green" programs that strike the fancy of Ivory Tower Pinheads, Activists, and Corporate Elitists who want to milk the public.

Gene

GeneW
01-02-2009, 03:19 AM
OBAMA and his people make 55 m.p.h. mandatory for all of U.S. , lot of lead foots out there . The revenue from tickets could be used to rebuild roads ( create jobs ) , hire more police ( to enforce speed limit = more $ )

They tried that shit around here after the Steel Mills closed up and went away. Lots of speed traps.

The net result has been that people avoid the areas with speed traps like the plague. This ends up costing the local businesses, especially convenience stores, hard ware stores and family restaurants. All this does is benefit Wal-Mart, which can build a place on the Interstate and attract the lost business.

More so, people grow contemptuous of Police. The Police rely heavily upon the local people for help to solve and prevent crime. Turning them into enemies breaks down the effectiveness of law enforcement.

Whoever came up with this idea of making Police into tax collectors must hate police.

The 55 mph Federal speed limit was mental masturbation. What it saved in gasoline, which was marginal, increased accident rates (in part because up to a certain speed accidents are caused more by differences in speed than in absolute speed) and cost people lost time that they needed for economic activity. We didn't have cell phones back then either, which means if we jack down the speed limits more people will do their business in their cars, leading to more traffic deaths.

You want to save money? Change the laws that govern high speed Internet so that more people can telecommute from home. Change the Federal Regs that underpin Zoning Laws so that local communities cannot practice Apartheid against home based business. Repeal Kelo vs New London in Congress (they acted against the Supreme Court with guns on school grounds didn't they?) so that people can be more secure in their private property.

Most of all, quit making "One Size Fits All" regulations unless they are absolutely necessary.

and used towards alternative energy .

Alternative to what?

Wind power? You need permits to put up windmills around here. One of my best friends is in a windy part of Fayette County, PA. He cannot get a permit - they've been doled out to politically connected people or require heavy amounts of paperwork.

Oddly enough, a bozo now and then tries to get his folks to get up of of their land to let them buy their property and build a windmill.

Dams cause fishies to suffer, and the waterways are the province of local, state and federal governments.

Wood? We've been burning wood since Homo Erectus walked the Earth. Big deal.

Algae? Not developed enough yet. Corn to ethanol? Boondoggle. Sawgrass? Cellulosic alcohol is probably worse than algae.

Last , the rest of the misused bailout money given to the auto manufacturers should be sent as a stimulus check (ex. $1,000 ) to the people to purchase an AMERICAN made vehicle of their choice that get good gas mileage , for example : 32 m.p.g. highway or better . Any suggestions welcome . LET'S PASS A BILL ($ ) OF OUR OWN :wink: . :biggrin:

How about any of the monies saved being applied against the Federal Deficit, so that we don't have to go hat in hand to China or Japan to save our butts - again.

Gene

GeneW
01-02-2009, 03:23 AM
get ready!

Could happen at any time for most any reason. People who have been buying big trucks and SUVs this fall obviously forgot that famous old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

Gene

Black Yaris
01-02-2009, 03:31 AM
gas jumped from $1.59 to $1.89 today

Midon
01-02-2009, 05:20 AM
gas has dropped around here again today from 1.42 to 1.36. I don't know when it will start to climb again, and i hope not for a little while, but I know it's comming.

gid
01-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Could happen at any time for most any reason. People who have been buying big trucks and SUVs this fall obviously forgot that famous old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

Gene screw it then :wink: . WHOOPEE , WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE !!! :biggrin:

b_hickman11
01-02-2009, 12:36 PM
dropped from $1.30ish to $1.23 here!!

Phaeton
01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
It's never been below $1.78 where I live.
WA has alot of tax on gasoline though.

Chupacabra
01-02-2009, 03:25 PM
The media controls the world.....turn off your TV's.

nemelek
01-02-2009, 06:45 PM
get ready!

Great advice! Do some on line research, open a Etrade or Scott Trade account and buy some oil stock. USO (United States Oil Fund ETF) is what I have owned and recently bought back into. In April of 2007 I bought it for $50/share. Sold ½ in July 2008 for $100/share and the other ½ in October for $70/share. Last week I bought it back for $30/ share and today it is $35/share. If you believe that OPEC production cut or next years hurricanes will effect oil prices, take advantage and make some money. Don’t consider this writing as advice. DO YOUR OWN REASEARCH. Hopefully your next Yaris will be paid for in cash.

gid
01-02-2009, 08:41 PM
oil and gas is on the rise again since the conflict continues between the HAMAS and ISRAELIs . Last , I looked it was $42 for oil and climbing :thumbdown: . Makes yeh want to run out and get them larger , gas guzzlers to help the cause :thumbsup: . :wink:

GeneW
01-03-2009, 06:12 AM
screw it then :wink: . WHOOPEE , WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE !!! :biggrin:

Nahhh..... I'd rather see local communities and groups do work on alternative energy, creating a system that works and which could be applied by other people.

Letting the government run things seems tempting but usually leads to problems, not the least of which that good technical and scientific choices get passed over for political considerations. Putting it into the hands of industry is not always the best way either, since sometimes business people make stupid decisions. I'd rather see smaller businesses doing their bit with it in concert with local communities.

Communities that develop alternative energy, and can live with it, seem to me to be the best long term solution. For example, Ithaca New York has done some work with heat ponds.

Gene

GeneW
01-03-2009, 06:14 AM

Don't know if the Media controls the world or not, but they sure do dumb people down. The garbage on TV is on the level of gradeschool in terms of logic, perception and subtlety of thought.

Turning off the TV is usually good advice.

Gene

Inspector14
01-03-2009, 12:25 PM
gas prices in Alaska have been rising slightly. but our RUG price has not fallen below $2.30. the state government discovered that since Alaska has only 2 refiners, they seem to be price fixing.

but i am ready for a price increase. before i had this Yaris, i had a diesel volkswagen, i was used to paying $3.50 plus for diesel. mid summer diesel was over $5.40 a gallon.

Chupacabra
01-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Don't know if the Media controls the world or not, but they sure do dumb people down.

Gene

Yep...precisely my point. :smile:

gid
01-04-2009, 06:47 AM
oil now $46 a barrel , since ISRAELI ground assault the price is guaranteed to climb .

gid
01-06-2009, 02:14 PM
now $49.12 a barrel . :bow:

33OH
01-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Went from $1.79 to $1.99 this morning here.

bobby
01-06-2009, 03:57 PM
dont really care gas is still a whole lot cheaper at $5 a gallon than a drink from starbucks.

As a shareholder of Exxon-Mobil, I love love love this person's attitude!! :biggrin:

kou
01-06-2009, 04:15 PM
As a shareholder of Exxon-Mobil, I love love love this person's attitude!! :biggrin:

i buy at shell gas statons.its a good job they have nothing to do with exxon-mobil. the amount of time spent looking then digging, transporting, refining at a dollor and change it is pretty cheap considering all the taxes added in to that cost the petrol itself doesnt really cost that much. and its true that 3 grandes at star@#$!s is a tank full of gas.

darthbauer
01-06-2009, 04:24 PM

Chevron's the only gas that's gone in my tank.

kou
01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
o and gas just went down at my pump. $1.63 for 93 octane.

gid
01-06-2009, 07:21 PM
o and gas just went down at my pump. $1.63 for 93 octane. that happen to be HESS ?

talnlnky
01-06-2009, 07:47 PM
I don't mind if it goes up to $2/gallon. I think it should be taxed to $4/gallon to continue our path to a greener world and we should get rebates to offset the taxes so the money stays in America.

No joke, I'd love to see a nation wide $1-2 per gallon tax that would go towards building modern railways. Think bullet trains All the way up and down the east & west coasts. Miami to NY with a stop at every big city. Then San Diego to LA to the Bay area to Portland to Seattle.

And then eventually a south and north cross country bullet train to connect the west & east coasts.

I think we should copy the japanese on this. Not just do bullet trains, but also put lots of money into local loop lines and such to reduce so much of the wear & tear on local roads & highways. The amount of money saved in road construction & maintenance would nearly offset the initial construction costs...

And to think if we could build a network of trains like japan has, you'd never get shit from your boss for being late when in reality there was a wreck on the roads.... trains in japan almost never get in wrecks, and run on time... nearly to the second.

b_hickman11
01-06-2009, 08:42 PM
i buy at shell gas statons.its a good job they have nothing to do with exxon-mobil. the amount of time spent looking then digging, transporting, refining at a dollor and change it is pretty cheap considering all the taxes added in to that cost the petrol itself doesnt really cost that much. and its true that 3 grandes at star@#$!s is a tank full of gas.

Just because it's a "Shell" gas station doesn't mean that they always sell "Shell" gas.

gid
01-06-2009, 11:31 PM
in JAPAN the buses turn off and on automatically when taken out of gear to save fuel when stopped . People also turn off their vehicles or are encouraged to shut down motors when stopped in traffic , etc.. :w00t:

CrazedEpidemic
01-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Just because it's a "Shell" gas station doesn't mean that they always sell "Shell" gas.

How can you tell when its Shell gas?

voodoo22
01-07-2009, 07:33 AM
in JAPAN the buses turn off and on automatically when taken out of gear to save fuel when stopped . People also turn off their vehicles or are encouraged to shut down motors when stopped in traffic , etc.. :w00t:

I was surprised when I saw this as well. All the busses are manual transmission and it's interesting how they has to say over the loud speaker that they're looking and it's safe to all the riders, everytime they change lanes. Like you said, normal cars also often shut off their engines and at least lights at stops. It's amazing to see what humans are capable of if they try.

voodoo22
01-07-2009, 07:48 AM
I think we should copy the japanese on this. Not just do bullet trains, but also put lots of money into local loop lines and such to reduce so much of the wear & tear on local roads & highways. The amount of money saved in road construction & maintenance would nearly offset the initial construction costs...

And to think if we could build a network of trains like japan has, you'd never get shit from your boss for being late when in reality there was a wreck on the roads.... trains in japan almost never get in wrecks, and run on time... nearly to the second.

A big reason the Japanese are so successful is that they are willing to copy. They copied London on their subway system and tried to improve it a little. The biggest thing I noticed in these subways, is they have a circle of tracks around the centre, not a bunch of straight lines like we do here in Toronto, which lead to nowhere and make the system useless to anyone who isn't traveling along one track.

Did you know that if your train is a couple of minutes late they will give you a note to give your Boss so you can prove it wasn't your fault you're late? I think the trains are on average 7 seconds late. That's the average for the entire country. The company you work for also pays for your transit pass and you can actually use the train systems to go all over the place. This is why the next generation in Japan is not interested in cars... you don't need one! Car sales have been declining for the last 5 years and are at their lowest in over 30 years Japan. They even have a word for this trend - kuruma banare - which means demotorization. Imagine not having to spend $5000 a year on transportation, not because you can't afford it, but because it takes longer to travel by car than by mass transit. Most people, from the lowest paid to the highest paid executives take mass transit to work for this very reason.

For me in Toronto the story is quite different.

Driving - 50 minute commute, 4 dollars in gas come and go as I please.

Mass Transit - 2 hours if I get all 3 buses perfectly, if one is late you can quickly add 30 minutes to that, over $19 in tickets and you can't even break even on a bus pass unless you use both ways on a 5 day work week and for 2 other trips.

Anyone think that maybe the people who benefit from our economy most don't want us to have a viable mass transit system?:confused:

SuperFunBall
01-07-2009, 12:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfpcKUJg68o&feature=related

nsmitchell
01-07-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm totaly ready! Yaris and Fit! Fuel sippers the both!

BTW - My 09 Fit Sport is getting like 42MPG on the HWY routinely using only cruise at 65MPH. Totally Kick Ass!

daf62757
01-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Sustained $4 gas will result in another great depression. That problem isn't that we don't have enough gas...its that the government is handcuffing business to get the gas.

Government is the problem!

gid
01-08-2009, 03:10 PM
yup , vicious cycle , ain't it ? And to think they want to raise gas ( fuel ) taxes at all levels of government . Just don't get it do they ? Never have , never will .

blktiger60
01-09-2009, 08:07 PM
It's never been below $1.78 where I live.
WA has alot of tax on gasoline though.

I saw $1.40 here in Spokane

No time to watch TV (except for Heroes), too busy playing World of Warcraft. . .

talnlnky
01-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Did you know that if your train is a couple of minutes late they will give you a note to give your Boss so you can prove it wasn't your fault you're late? I think the trains are on average 7 seconds late. That's the average for the entire country. The company you work for also pays for your transit pass and you can actually use the train systems to go all over the place. This is why the next generation in Japan is not interested in cars... you don't need one! Car sales have been declining for the last 5 years and are at their lowest in over 30 years Japan. They even have a word for this trend - kuruma banare - which means demotorization. Imagine not having to spend $5000 a year on transportation, not because you can't afford it, but because it takes longer to travel by car than by mass transit. Most people, from the lowest paid to the highest paid executives take mass transit to work for this very reason.

yes i did know that... and this is why...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=green+heights+sakuragawa,+osaka,+japan&jsv=140g&sll=34.635529,135.519104&sspn=0.009181,0.019312&g=%C5%8Csaka,+Japan&ie=UTF8&latlng=34666456,135490088,17477058674785915670&ei=G_pnSdDIEpKIjQOCotCwDg&cd=1

thats my old apartment. :thumbup:

talnlnky
01-09-2009, 08:33 PM
I was surprised when I saw this as well. All the busses are manual transmission and it's interesting how they has to say over the loud speaker that they're looking and it's safe to all the riders, everytime they change lanes. Like you said, normal cars also often shut off their engines and at least lights at stops. It's amazing to see what humans are capable of if they try.

I don't remember ever the bus drivers saying they were changing lanes... course... I only rode the bus about 3 times... and not sure how much lane changing happened. Trains will get you to almost anywhere a bus will in japan.

I think the North American perception of japan is highly skewed... just because a few vehicles have some crazy technologies, or a specific area has crazy policies/proceedures for the drivers doesn't mean that is the norm.

gid
01-10-2009, 12:51 AM
seen in newspaper that experts are predicting $150 or > in 2011 or sooner . The oil companies are spending less on exploration for oil due to low oil prices . This after making record profits , such :bs: . Other reason is that many oil endowed countries are holding onto most of their oil for own use . Thus less exports . So , PEOPLE GET READY !!!

ZING
01-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Bring it. Been trying to convince my family to start buying economical cars since I got my car, but no. In a country where a car matters more than education, wits, and personality people buy the most expensive car they can afford. Time to led the yaris revolution.

daf62757
01-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Bring it. Been trying to convince my family to start buying economical cars since I got my car, but no. In a country where a car matters more than education, wits, and personality people buy the most expensive car they can afford. Time to led the Yaris revolution.

You are so right. Every other time I have ever bought a car, I always had second doubts about whether I made the right decision. My previous car was a Toy 4R and although I loved the car, I hated buying gas for it. I sold it to my daughter who needed a dependable car and knew exactly which car I wanted. My other daughter had bought a 07 Yaris and she loves it.

To make a long story short, I have absolutely no second regrets. Now my older brother is talking about buying one.

Leadership is best displayed through personal action...not talk!

talnlnky
01-11-2009, 01:38 PM
You are so right. Every other time I have ever bought a car, I always had second doubts about whether I made the right decision. My previous car was a Toy 4R and although I loved the car, I hated buying gas for it. I sold it to my daughter who needed a dependable car and knew exactly which car I wanted. My other daughter had bought a 07 Yaris and she loves it.

To make a long story short, I have absolutely no second regrets. Now my older brother is talking about buying one.

Leadership is best displayed through personal action...not talk!
yeah, I haven't had any buyers remorse either... I was actually thinking about that last week. Its really strange that I can go out and spend thousands of dollars on a product that I don't really want, and wish I could deal without it in the first place.

why?
01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Government is the problem!

Government is always the problem. Always. The less the government does, the better off everyone is.

As for a 'greener" world and all that nonsense, let the markets do that. People should be free to make their own choices. That is why it is called freedom, not slavery.

phenoyz
01-14-2009, 05:28 PM
ELECTION is over GAS is going to $5.00 / Gallon
YEHHHHEYYYYY :help:

SilverGlow
02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
How true . The RUSSIANS need IRAN to pay for their nuclear program and arms that they supply to them . It's a chess match between the super powers and the little people in this world are its pawns ( or should I say commodities $ ) .

Not so really. The revenue generated by Iran for Russian nuclear technology and arms is less then 1% of Russia's GNP. The reason Russia is in bed with Iran is to offset the US's influence in that region (Isreal).

SilverGlow
02-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Government is always the problem. Always. The less the government does, the better off everyone is.

As for a 'greener" world and all that nonsense, let the markets do that. People should be free to make their own choices. That is why it is called freedom, not slavery.

Yea, yea so "true"...and besides, we all know that corporate America, business owners, and the like are very, very, very, very honest and can be trusted.

Right....if you really believe that government is "always" the problem, you are (1) very young or (2) uneducated, or (3) inexperienced.

The fact that you used the word "always" immediately discredits all you write.

For the record, I am a Reagan Republican, and hate big government, and government largess, however I would NEVER say that government is always the problem. That clearly is a myth.

daf62757
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
I would have to disagree, in part, with you SilverGlow. Government never can do what the private sector can do. With the exception of the military, name one government program that is carried out under budget. Government is the problem. You only have to look at the home mortgage problem to highlight that government took a bad problem and turned it into a national disaster. Same with gas prices. They dictated how gas will be made, wouldn't allow new refineries, and stopped new drilling. The result has been $4 gas prices that, in combination with the home mortgage problem, have almost sunk our economy. Any government program...ANY...has a 180 degree result. It spends more than it planned and never can accomplish its goals and objectives.

SilverGlow
02-18-2009, 03:31 PM
I would have to disagree, in part, with you SilverGlow. Government never can do what the private sector can do. With the exception of the military, name one government program that is carried out under budget. Government is the problem. You only have to look at the home mortgage problem to highlight that government took a bad problem and turned it into a national disaster. Same with gas prices. They dictated how gas will be made, wouldn't allow new refineries, and stopped new drilling. The result has been $4 gas prices that, in combination with the home mortgage problem, have almost sunk our economy. Any government program...ANY...has a 180 degree result. It spends more than it planned and never can accomplish its goals and objectives.

And you so willfully refuse to list the private sector F-ups like Enron, Madoff, GM, Ford, Chrysler, and the many other PRIVATE companies that have made really bad mistakes because of greed.

I agree that government should not dictate, but for you to blame it all on the government and not mention the massively bad F-ups the private sector created is plain wrong.

Big Gov is bad, and inefficient. However unregulated private enterprise is just as bad if not worse.

The answer is something in the middle.

And as to this latest mortgage F-up, the blame is 90% private sector companies, and 10% mortgage loan holders (Joe Publict) for agreeing to really stupid loan terms. If the government is to blame, it is to blame for lack of regulations.

daf62757
02-20-2009, 04:23 PM
And you so willfully refuse to list the private sector F-ups like Enron, Madoff, GM, Ford, Chrysler, and the many other PRIVATE companies that have made really bad mistakes because of greed.

I agree that government should not dictate, but for you to blame it all on the government and not mention the massively bad F-ups the private sector created is plain wrong.

Big Gov is bad, and inefficient. However unregulated private enterprise is just as bad if not worse.

The answer is something in the middle.

And as to this latest mortgage F-up, the blame is 90% private sector companies, and 10% mortgage loan holders (Joe Publict) for agreeing to really stupid loan terms. If the government is to blame, it is to blame for lack of regulations.

I don't think Forf or GM screwed up. The government won't allow new drilling and new refineries so the cost skyrockets and that is what is killing the American automakers. Government regulations only cause people to loose jobs.

You only to look at this latest so called stimulus bill to realize that government is the problem.

Phaeton
02-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Are you just here baiting people???
I can't believe anyone that drives a Yaris would be for expanding drilling.

I don't think Forf or GM screwed up. The government won't allow new drilling and new refineries so the cost skyrockets and that is what is killing the American automakers. Government regulations only cause people to loose jobs.

You only to look at this latest so called stimulus bill to realize that government is the problem.

daf62757
02-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Are you just here baiting people???
I can't believe anyone that drives a Yaris would be for expanding drilling.

Baiting? The problem isn't that we don't have enough oil in the world...the problem is that we can't drill to get it. I drive a Yaris because I love the gas mileage and I have to drive from Indy to Chicago every week for work. Its common sense.

Oil...gas...is the oxygen of our economy. You can see how bad our economy is right now and that is, in part, is due to the high gas prices of the past few years. People could only charge for gas so long.

I don't believe in global warming...its a fraud and there is evidence that the world is actually cooling....so I believe that drilling for new oil is vital for the economic security of our county.

briman
02-27-2009, 09:59 PM

That's not true at all. The latest mortgage calamity was born when government officials headed by an oversight group led by Barny Frank started encouraging banks to loosen up requirements for mortgage loans so families could live a share of "the American dream." Next came balloon mortgages and people making $50,000 a year moving into half a million dollar homes. That couldn't last forever and not everyone is going to get a slice of that American dream and have 2.5 children.

Now it's starting again as cheap interest and reduced loan requirements are being mandated by the government for stimulus money. How getting more Americans in debt for things they can't afford will help the economy is a solution on the government understands.

The government is usually the problem. There are no absolutes. I'm far from uneducated and I'm not that young anymore. My only weakness is internet arguments.

metalshark
02-28-2009, 06:03 AM
Russia wants a foot-hold in Iran. We're in countries next door. China wants to go in through an undefended east coast of Africa. They will start by saying its humanitarian aid. When China starts building large air and sea transports watch out. Expect a bio weapon to be launched in Africa that makes the current aids epidemic much more deadly. It may be couched as an aids vaccine but will be historic in "keeping the black man down" six feet under. The march north would be unstoppable without the nuclear solution.

supmet
02-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't believe in global warming...its a fraud and there is evidence that the world is actually cooling....so I believe that drilling for new oil is vital for the economic security of our county.

Wow. Do you work for mobil? chevron? please tell. I've heard some people try to say it is warming, but it is just a natural cycle, and humans dumping billions of tons of pollutants has done nothing - But I've never really heard anyone say we're cooling.

Also, please explain, how in this "cooling world" the ice caps continue to break apart and recede towards the poles.

Kal-El
02-28-2009, 05:42 PM
We're not going to see gas get "expensive" ($3-$4+/gal) again for a while.

Why?

Because of the economy. If you guys think our current situation is bad, just wait. Many expert economists (you don't even need to be an economist to realize..) are predicting the 2nd Great Depression coming up. This one will actually be worse in a sense because debt is immensely larger than it was in the first one.

In a depression state, prices on just about everything will drop dramatically. However, after recovery, hyper-inflation will roll in dramatically raising gas prices to levels never seen.

Don't think we're depression proof guys. We're not. :frown: