PDA

View Full Version : How often should I wash my car?

Buckethead
08-08-2006, 11:54 AM
I tell you these goddamn birds are on a rampage!!! :mad:

Hand washed the car myself yesterday, and waxed it using the new turtle wax clear ice, (which rules). Little fuckers shit on it this morning...
Once a week, twice a week? What about waxing, how much is too much? I don't wanna wear out the new paint job... Another friend of mine said that I was overthinking the paint job. He said new paint should last 7 years.. That true?
I almost punched him in the face for that.

Thanks!

ChinoCharles
08-08-2006, 02:19 PM
California... searing heat. Acid rain. I'd say your paint is doomed no matter what, haha. I was told to wash the car once every couple of weeks or so and be very careful about rain on the day I wash because rain on a completely clean car not only makes it dirty right away, but it is not good for your paint. As far as waxing, twice a year... once in spring and once in fall to prep for seasonal change. You can probably go less than that because you don't have seasons, haha. God I miss Santa Clarita.

Buckethead
08-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Really? Damn. These birds are bombing me back to the stone age. The part that sucks is wiping the crap off, of course, smears the finish. The wax finish that is. Didn't know you only wax twice a year. . Twice a year doesn't seem much.

Oh well

:iono:

riceboy
08-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Yup.. wax 2x a year,..

I use to wash the car once a week,.. but that gets to be a little much... once every 2-3 weeks is good...

Kr0n1k
08-08-2006, 03:44 PM
A nice Airsoft rifle and good aim could solve your bird problem.:laugh:

07WYarisRS
08-08-2006, 04:45 PM
I wash the car once a week, usually every Saturday or sunday morning around 6:30-7am
Before the sun is high and the car is hot to reduce water spots.

In the past I used Zaino, but for the yaris I'm just using Meguairs (sp?)

I wax my cars about 4 times a year, once every 3 months.
When I wash I use two wash mits, one for the top and another for the rockers, wheels and fender edges etc.
After I dry the car I use a quick detailer spray and go over the entire paint to help restor the shine until my next waxing.

Always use a car wash soap and wash you wash mits in a washing machine before you re-use them to remove any grit. but do not use fabric softener in it will streak the paint.

I use Dupli-color SHEILD (clear) on the fron bumber, mirrors and hood and it really helps reduce the amount of crud and bugs stuck to the car and reduces washing time a lot. All the crud you normally have to scrub off the car washes off easily with no scrubbing.

sroberts
08-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Really? Damn. These birds are bombing me back to the stone age. The part that sucks is wiping the crap off, of course, smears the finish. The wax finish that is. Didn't know you only wax twice a year. . Twice a year doesn't seem much.

Oh well

:iono:

be careful when cleaning the bird stuff off. Birds will eat tiny rocks and stuff for ruffage and it may actually scratch the paint. Dont ask me how I know :cry:

Chris07LB
08-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Hand washed the car myself yesterday, and waxed it using the new turtle wax clear ice

I do the exact same, about 2x a week. Remember, I commute a LOT, so it gets dirty quick... besides, I dont mind it. :smile:

Buckethead
08-08-2006, 07:22 PM
I do the exact same, about 2x a week. Remember, I commute a LOT, so it gets dirty quick... besides, I dont mind it. :smile:

The washing and waxing twice a week, or just the washing?

TRD_Yaris
08-09-2006, 12:19 AM
I wash the car once a week, usually every Saturday or sunday morning around 6:30-7am
Before the sun is high and the car is hot to reduce water spots.

In the past I used Zaino, but for the yaris I'm just using Meguairs (sp?)

I wax my cars about 4 times a year, once every 3 months.
When I wash I use two wash mits, one for the top and another for the rockers, wheels and fender edges etc.
After I dry the car I use a quick detailer spray and go over the entire paint to help restor the shine until my next waxing.

Always use a car wash soap and wash you wash mits in a washing machine before you re-use them to remove any grit. but do not use fabric softener in it will streak the paint.

I use Dupli-color SHEILD (clear) on the fron bumber, mirrors and hood and it really helps reduce the amount of crud and bugs stuck to the car and reduces washing time a lot. All the crud you normally have to scrub off the car washes off easily with no scrubbing.

GOOD INFO! especially rewashing your wash mitts after evertime you wash your car AND using 2 different wash mitts ONE FOR UP HIGh and one for DOWN LOW (gritty). MORE THAN THAT, I ALWAYS HAVE 2 WASH BUCKETS, 1 with soap, 1 with just water to rinse off my wash mitts after everytime you touch your car.

be careful when cleaning the bird stuff off. Birds will eat tiny rocks and stuff for ruffage and it may actually scratch the paint. Dont ask me how I know :cry:
You think YOU have it bad, I have a family of owls living in the trees above my driveway. You think small stones are bad, how about Mouse Bones??

Chris07LB
08-09-2006, 07:44 AM
The washing and waxing twice a week, or just the washing?

I wash twice, wax once with the ICE.. being its just so damn easy to apply! :smile:

Buckethead
08-09-2006, 09:08 AM
I wash twice, wax once with the ICE.. being its just so damn easy to apply! :smile:

Excellent. Then I don't feel to bad!

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

:w00t:

TrancosRt
08-09-2006, 09:33 AM
I washed it once a week but I know once I get busy with school, I'll barelly have time to drive it so who knows when I'll wash it.
Anyway, I used some or another wax-as-you-dry spray bottles (the one I've been using lately is a Dupont one). On my next car wash I might go with a full wax just because the car is brand new and I want to go give some extra protection, but for the effort I might order one clear bra off Ebay and give it the extra protection which should be better than wax.. *sigh* who knows... I love my frog too much (frog= my HB Yaris )

sroberts
08-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Do you guys recommend waxing the Yaris as soon as you get it or waiting 6 months?

Chris07LB
08-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Do you guys recommend waxing the Yaris as soon as you get it or waiting 6 months?

Your car come's with ZERO PROTECTION on the paint from Toyota!

I always recomend getting a wash and wax in ASAP. :thumbsup:

sroberts
08-09-2006, 10:44 AM

Thanks!! I will do it this weekend. I havent had a new car in years so I am out of touch on waxes. Which brand is the best these days?

makelikemorning
08-11-2006, 10:30 PM
I wash twice, wax once with the ICE.. being its just so damn easy to apply!

Hey Chris... I went out and bought the Turtle Wax Ice on your recommendation. That stuff is fantastic! My Yaris went from looking new to looking like it belongs in a Toyota ad in thirty minutes. One question, though: Should I apply it twice a year like a traditional wax or more often?

TRD_Yaris
08-12-2006, 07:29 AM

It's all about the Porter Cable 7424 , klasse all in one and S100. Anything less would be uncivilized. oh, and only microfiber towels.

Btw, if you wash your car a lot, you might be doing more damage than good.

Chris07LB
08-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Hey Chris... I went out and bought the Turtle Wax Ice on your recommendation. That stuff is fantastic! My Yaris went from looking new to looking like it belongs in a Toyota ad in thirty minutes. One question, though: Should I apply it twice a year like a traditional wax or more often?

Welcome.. I strip the car down once a month with dish soap, to remove all wax, then if needed, clay the car, then wash, dry, and followed with the TW ICE.

With the car being as small as it is, it really isn't that time consuming if you know what you're doing. :smile:

sroberts
08-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Washed and wax the sedan today. Luckily it didn't have much dirt or bug build up on it after driving it for two weeks. Looks great!! I used some mothers california gold wax that I already had but I bought some applicator pads and a good microfiber cloth. Didn't want to waste a good bottle of wax but the next wax I will try the Ice.

For those of you with the steel rims with caps. Do you wax the caps too?

Ziv
08-22-2006, 03:01 PM
I wash it at least once a week.

Violin
08-23-2006, 11:22 AM
The Turtle Wax Ice says to coat the entire car before wiping it off.

You don't work in sections?

ChinoCharles
08-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Of course work in sections. Makes life a lot easier... I believe the bottle also says allow 5 minutes for the wax to dry before buffing off, and if you can wax a car in 5 minutes than more power to you, but I know I can't.

Buckethead
08-23-2006, 02:44 PM
The Turtle Wax Ice says to coat the entire car before wiping it off.

You don't work in sections?

Nope! You spread the whole car with it, let it sit for 5 minutes, and then work it in. It won't dry up. You'll work it in with your microfiber towel.
When you're done, it'll like fucking mirrors!!!

Such a great product.

:thumbup:

Buckethead
08-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Ignore my post,

Chino is correct!!

Chris07LB
08-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Me, I wax the ENTIRE car first.

By the time I am finished, I start removing from where I first started.

If you let it sit a little longer, then do like I said above, the results are even BETTER!

ChinoCharles
08-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Oh no Chris, you just exploded my tiny little world.

I'll give it a shot!

tomjasz
08-24-2006, 03:57 AM
July 2006
Car wax
Quality shine for less

RUBDOWN Selecting a wax should depend on the condition of your finish and the effort you want to expend.In our test of car waxes, we found that pricier ones favored by enthusiasts do not necessarily work better than some less-expensive brands. The two top performers cost just $7, while a product selling for $32 ranked no better than the middle of the pack.

We also found that any wax good enough to provide some protection still requires a dose of good old-fashioned hard work. Easy-to-use spray-on, wipe-off products may save time and work, but they fared worst in our durability tests and were least effective at cleaning. Liquid and paste waxes did better as a group, but they required more effort to apply and remove.

With the advent of the clear coat, the transparent protective top layer of paint that has been used on new cars for the past few decades, you aren’t likely to improve the shine on any new vehicle. But over time, sunlight, acid rain, road debris, and other environmental factors take their toll on a vehicle’s finish. Regular washing is the most important aspect of paint care, but the added protection of wax can also help.

Many newer waxes and polishes are made of synthetic ingredients, but some are still formulated with natural waxes such as Carnauba, as they have been for *generations. The synthetic waxes in this test, however, are most likely quite different from the ones in our May 2000 test. Since then, manufacturers have reformulated their products, reducing levels of volatile organic compounds to meet California Air Resources Board regulations.

trade-offs with waxes

When we tested 28 products, including 16 liquid waxes, 5 pastes, and 7 of the spray-on, wipe-off variety, we found that liquid waxes provide the best cleaning and protection. But contrary to conventional wisdom, in our tests they required more effort than paste waxes to apply and remove. As a group, liquids were the hardest to apply evenly, and they took the most work to buff out. In addition, some left a powdery residue that had to be wiped off. Even the top-rated Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax required an extra bit of buffing to eliminate any streaking. And our other best all-around choice, Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6, can cause slight scratching or hazing on newer dark-colored finishes.

Paste waxes were once the most common type of wax; now they are the least. They also were once the hardest to apply, but new formulations are easier to spread. Pastes often come with a reusable applicator to spread the wax, a convenience that makes it easier to apply the wax neatly and keep it off glass or plastic surfaces. But some of those applicators must be moistened before use.

Spray-on, wipe-off products are the newest development in car wax. Convenience and time savings are their strong suits. Some can even be applied to a car still wet from washing. But convenience comes at a cost, since this group fared worst in our durability tests.

how to choose

All waxes require elbow grease, patience, and time. Depending on how fast you work, how thorough you are, the size of your vehicle, and the product you choose, expect to spend at least an hour to do a decent job. Match the car wax to your car-care needs to see which type of product best suits your needs.

Consider the age of your car. If It’s one or two years old or still has a good finish, an easy spray wax might be all you need. But keep in mind that these products wear out the fastest. No wax will improve the shine on a newer car. But if you don’t plan to replace your car for a while, waxing will help preserve the finish over time.

If you have an older car, or one whose finish has already begun to oxidize or has embedded grime, you may want to consider a product that scored high for cleaning to help bring back and maintain the finish. Liquid waxes proved the best in cleaning.

Watch out for abrasion. Waxes can be abrasive, some more than others, and the tiny particles in car waxes or harsh chemicals can leave fine scratches or a haze on your car’s finish.

Dark-colored vehicles show scratches more easily than lighter-colored ones. If you own a black or dark-colored vehicle, be especially wary of products that scored low in our scratching and hazing tests.

The same abrasiveness can make clear-coated surfaces look hazy or cloudy when the finish is marred by fine scratches, giving the paint a duller look than before waxing. Most wax packaging indicates whether a product is safe for clear-coat finishes.

Consider how much plastic is on your car. Some waxes can leave a visible residue on nonglossy, porous plastic parts such as bumpers, plastic body panels, and door trim. Those parts are often black or gray, and some newer cars may have a lot of them. If that sounds like your car, choose a product that scored well in our compatibility-with-plastic tests. Once wax gets on those surfaces, it may be necessary to use a commercially available plastic cleaner to get rid of it.

If saving time and effort is your priority and your car’s paint is in excellent condition, a spray-on, wipe-off product may be your best bet. Spray-on waxes can also be used for a quick touch-up between conventional waxings. These waxes don’t clean as well as or last as long as liquids or pastes, but that’s not an issue if you wax often. And the more often you wax, the more you’ll appreciate their ease of application.

With any wax you choose, we recommend you first try using it on an inconspicuous area such as a doorjamb. And regardless of how hard you work, how much you spend, or what longevity claims manufacturers make, don’t expect any wax to last all that long. All of the products we tested showed a significant loss of protection within about five weeks.

Washing and waxing your car

Before waxing, thoroughly wash and dry the car.
Never wash or wax a car in direct sunlight or if the paint is hot to the touch. The sun can soften the paint and make it more susceptible to scratching.
Use a lamb’s-wool mitt for washing and soft cotton rags or microfiber towels for waxing. Do not use rags for washing; they can trap dirt and scratch the finish. Synthetic fabrics and brushes can also scratch a car’s finish.
Wash and wax in small sections. This saves time and if the wax stays on too long, it can be difficult to remove.

daq421
09-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Someone here posted a statemant that the cars are released to the public WITH NO WAX? is this true?:iono:
-Peter

07WYarisRS
09-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Someone here posted a statemant that the cars are released to the public WITH NO WAX? is this true?:iono:
-Peter

Depends on the dealership and quality of service.

I signed the paperwork on a Thursday. The dealership searched the datatbase for an RS with all the options and color I wanted. They picked up my car and drove it from a Toronto dealership to my local dealership here on a Friday. But the trip picked up a few bugs and road grime and the car still had the protective film on it. After work we drove by and saw our car and stopped to take a look (first white Yaris we had seen) They let my wife and I test drive it before the shop closed for the night.
I picked it up the following day (Saturday) all washed, waxed, tire shine, carpets cleaned, plates and full tank of fuel and less then 200km on the speedo.
Brand new car, spotless and only a 2 day wait.
Already WAXED

ChinoCharles
09-06-2006, 08:39 PM
tomjasz, that is a great post but how did they rank the waxes? We need the GOODS!

And while I'm on this thread, I will say I've used Turtle Wax ICE a few times in a row now to build up a few coats before winter and I can't say enough about it. Just rub your finger on your paint and you'll know its the sheezy. Nothing sticks anymore.

07WYarisRS
09-07-2006, 02:01 AM
Zaino Bro is still the best i've found/used

not a wax, and not cheap but worth every penny

Chris07LB
09-07-2006, 05:42 AM
-Peter

Correct. Some may be confused (tricked) into thinking their showroom fresh, baby smooth paint has been waxed for them already by the dealership... keep dreamin'! :rolleyes:

tomjasz
09-07-2006, 09:42 AM
tomjasz, that is a great post but how did they rank the waxes? We need the GOODS!

And while I'm on this thread, I will say I've used Turtle Wax ICE a few times in a row now to build up a few coats before winter and I can't say enough about it. Just rub your finger on your paint and you'll know its the sheezy. Nothing sticks anymore.

Ice was not reviewed but all the other spray types were downgraded. I used and continue to use their best buy:

Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax BM48016 CR Best Buy
$7 84. 16 $0.44
2 Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6 CR Best Buy
7 84. 16 0.44

If your car has a weathered finish and needs a deep cleaning; both are CR Best Buys:
1 Black Magic $7
2 Turtle Wax $7

Both are all-around cleaner waxes that did well in all of our tests. But Black Magic needs extra buffing to prevent streaking.

For an easy shine and compatiblity with plastics:
22 Eagle One $6

It does not clean well or last long, but it’s good for a quick shine.

ChinoCharles
09-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks man! :thumbup:

naossoan
04-15-2007, 11:46 AM
How is the wax in those pressure wash stations?

I live an apartment, so I don't have anywhere I can wash/wax my car at home...

Would you recommend using the spray washes, and bring my own dry towel/wax and wax it off to the side before I leave?

The spray wax probably isn't all that great I'm assuming.

blacksan
04-20-2007, 11:30 PM
I hand wash 2X each week and use Eagle One Nanno Wax during the wipe down. I should add that I commute about 50 miles round trip on the highway each day making it important to stay on top of exterior maintenance (IMO).

Lickitung
04-21-2007, 08:40 PM
How is the wax in those pressure wash stations?

I live an apartment, so I don't have anywhere I can wash/wax my car at home...

I've been wondering this too. In my townhouse complex the homeowners association won't allow us to wash our cars on the complex (I guess because they pay the water bill). So my only option are going to car washes. So far I've only taken it to the pressue wash stations, however for $25 they will do a hand applied carnuba wax so I might have them do that soon.

ChinoCharles
04-21-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm working on a detailing DIY. If you're like me and didn't know much about washing and waxing before, it should be a good read.

Razr
04-22-2007, 01:16 AM
I'm working on a detailing DIY. If you're like me and didn't know much about washing and waxing before, it should be a good read.

Sounds cool!

If you're getting into this, please make sure you research actual wax longevity as well. I saw some posters saying that you only need to wax every 6 months, but that is folly in my experience... I've never seen any wax that could hold its "freshly waxed" look/feel/protection for more than about 4-6 weeks, regardless of what the informercial guy says :tongue:

While I'm at it, here's some other suggestions for the DIY off the top of my head:

* Explain the two bucket system.
* Explain top-down system (this is for noobs right? :tongue: )
* Why sponges/rags are reallly bad, and wash mits are reallly good.
* Why you shouldn't let your car dry naturally after washing.
* Why you don't use dish soap
* Why newspaper is the best "rag" for cleaning glass
* What claying is for
* What chemical cleaners are for
* The differences between polishes, waxes, sealants and conditioners
* Why newbie detailers should never machine buff a car
* Why rotary buffers are bad, and orbital/dual-action buffers are good
* Why applying polishes/waxes should be hard, but removing them easy
* How to clean wheels
* How to remove stuff like tar, and cow/bird shit safely
* How to polish plastic light lenses
* How to remove/reduce swirls, and how to avoid them in the first place
* How to clean tires, and how to dress them
* How to dress exterior rubber and plastics
* How to vaccum your carpet properly using the hairbrush method
* How to clean interior plastics/trims, and how to dress them (if that's your thing)
* How to remove chewing/bubble gum from seats and carpets
* How to dress your external glass surfaces
* How to remove wax build up around badges/emblems
* How to clean the inside of air conditioning vents

static808
04-22-2007, 02:13 AM
WHOA! that is really comprehensive, just about everything and anything you could think of is covered there. a great (if not intimidating!!) starting point for the DIY!

--B

ChinoCharles
04-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Yeah, holy crap. You write it, LOL. I quit.

No, seriously, I see no need to go into that kind of detail on a forum for a brand new car. If your 2006/2007 is that dirty already, you're hopeless. This is just going to be a quick little guide to the twice a year wax job you should be doing anyway. I guess the word detailing was a little misleading.

sam07yaris
04-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Silver rocks! I haven't hand washed mine sinced Oct and it still looks spanking new. I gave it a water bath every once in a while to get the salt off but thats it.

spkrman
04-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Silver rocks! I haven't hand washed mine sinced Oct and it still looks spanking new. I gave it a water bath every once in a while to get the salt off but thats it.

Silver/grey doesnt require nearly as much cleaning as most other colors. I'm a silver man anyway, so it not looking filthy after you run through a puddle is just an added bonus :thumbup:

on that note.. I should add that just because it doesn't look filthy doesn't ean its not filthy! Still gotta keep up with it.

Razr
04-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah, holy crap. You write it, LOL. I quit.

No, seriously, I see no need to go into that kind of detail on a forum for a brand new car. If your 2006/2007 is that dirty already, you're hopeless. This is just going to be a quick little guide to the twice a year wax job you should be doing anyway. I guess the word detailing was a little misleading.

Wanna see just how dirty a 10 week old Yaris that gets detailed weekly can look? :tongue:

That's after just a single 810KM journey, albeit in the 3rd world :wink:

Tell you what Chino, you write a basics DIY, and I'll pitch in with some of the more specific stuff - deal? :cool:

eTiMaGo
04-23-2007, 01:01 AM
You like her dirty, don't ya?

Razr
04-23-2007, 05:03 AM
Women yes, cars no :wink:

I'm a clean freak (http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3974) by your own accusation :P

the_boss
04-23-2007, 01:53 PM
everytime I wash my car we have snow or rain the next day:frown: so no more washing for me.....

i'm wondering if my wife would like to wash the car.....:biggrin:

ChinoCharles
04-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I gave up on writing a DIY... but I did wash and wax the piss out of it. Looks sexy... loving the Ice products.

turboyaris
04-23-2007, 05:47 PM
more often then me