PDA

View Full Version : TRD lowering springs and MPG

skigil
01-03-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm thinking about putting some TRD lowering springs on my yaris to lower the ride. What I first have to do is convince the wife. What I am thinking is that I can pull a 'it will have better MPG' excuse. However I have to be right to sell her the excuse.

So if I put on these lowering springs, will I have better gas miliage?

LtNoogie
01-03-2009, 05:22 AM
Tell her that when the car is higher, you trap more air between the tires and the wheel wells. That air causes turbulence which affects gas milage. When you lower the car, there is less room for air to trapped into.

Try to say with a straight face and show no fear or laughter. Good luck.

thebarber
01-03-2009, 01:56 PM
lol, i dont think itll help your MPG...

xray scatter
01-03-2009, 02:44 PM
What if you tell your wife that it will lower the center of gravity and decrease roll thereby making it a safer car?? Or you can do what I did, I had my springs installed while she was shopping. She never noticed.

andries
01-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Tell her that she do not high lift a box of beer to put it in the trunk what's better for her back.

And you can easily to the roof to wash.

So, this with all the suggestions above must be enough to convince her

Good luck

BailOut
01-04-2009, 01:10 AM
It will likely aid MPG by a tiny, immeasurable amount but the savings in fuel costs will never break even with the cost of the springs, let alone any fees for their installation.

skigil
01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
These all sound like excellent ideas.

I figured the gas savings would never out weight the cost of the springs...and yes, I would install them myself. The reason I want to get them is because the "tallness" of the car annoys me. I've always feel like I'm driving a mini van because of how high I sit up in the drivers seat.

YarisSedan
01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
A lot of cars look good lowered and a lot of them just look plain silly. But id have to say the yaris is one of the few cars that really need to be lowerd just to look normal. Once i lowered my car no one even noticed. Because thast how it should normally look since it had such a horrible ride hight and fender gap to begin with. Now it just looks the way it should have been from the factory. This is with trd springs though. If you went much lower it would start to get that slammed look which i am not too fond of. Only reason i would go lower is to offset larger rims.

MUSKOKA800
01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Throw a TRD sway-bar into the package and you can genuinely state that it is a safer car. Cross-wind buffeting is reduced to almost none from the scary stock set-up.
My sedan is TRD suspended but I cannot honestly say what effect the package had on mileage. It sure made driving much more enjoyable.

invol
01-06-2009, 12:39 AM
What if you tell your wife that it will lower the center of gravity and decrease roll thereby making it a safer car?? Or you can do what I did, I had my springs installed while she was shopping. She never noticed.

:laugh: Most non-car people would have no idea something had changed. Tell her you're changing the oil and checking the tires. Once you see her eyes glaze over you're golden. That tended to work for me anyways. :biggrin:

skigil
01-07-2009, 05:19 PM
:laugh: Most non-car people would have no idea something had changed. Tell her you're changing the oil and checking the tires. Once you see her eyes glaze over you're golden. That tended to work for me anyways. :biggrin:

haha...my lady is a little smarter than that. She could probably change the oil if she wanted to.

invol
01-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Nice. She's one of the rare ones then. Definitely a keeper. :biggrin:

skigil
01-12-2009, 11:16 PM
yeah, she's sitting next to me working on her businesses website: http://www.theplanodancetheatre.com She's awesome.

gwasabi
01-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Tell your wife that that's how god intended it to be....you with TRD springs. Do it with a straight face and you get 20 points...if you burst out laughing you'll end up failing.

otterhere
01-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Hurray; someone else feels he's riding in a minivan (besides me); people guffaw when I complain the Yaris is too "big," but darn it, it is, as least compared to the Suzuki Swift, which is like an entire foot shorter. Why so high in the air??? I practically have to climb to get in it, and forget washing the roof (I'm small). Seems to me the taller it is, the more wind resistance; I definitely feel more buffeted about when it's gusty than I did in my road-hugging Swift. Furthermore, I can actually SEE the springs when I approach my car from the back, almost like it's already been jacked up? I'd love to lower mine. No, that doesn't solve the width and length problems, but unfortunately it seems the only other (smaller) alternative is the Twofer.

Too bad America is all about "supersizing"...

:rolleyes:

coheed
01-14-2009, 09:19 AM
If you love the Swift so much, which you obviosly do, sell the freakin Yaris and buy another. And please stop posting stuff like this, I'm asking you nicely. This site is devoted to people who like and love thier Yarii, and you obviously dont like a thing about it. Stop complaining and do something about it. And plus the Yaris is made in Japan not america, so stop talking about American supersizing. K thnx by.

otterhere
01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
If you love the Swift so much, which you obviosly do, sell the freakin Yaris and buy another. And please stop posting stuff like this, I'm asking you nicely. This site is devoted to people who like and love thier Yarii, and you obviously dont like a thing about it. Stop complaining and do something about it. And plus the Yaris is made in Japan not america, so stop talking about American supersizing. K thnx by.

Well, this IS America (a free country), so if you don't like it, don't read it...

You're asking me nicely? As opposed to what; belting me, LOL???

Obviously I liked the Yaris enough to buy one; it's true that I don't like it as well as I liked the Swift but, as I've said repeatedly, the Yaris is the very best of what's out there to choose from at the moment, sooo...

Take your SOMA.

:biggrin:

thebarber
01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Take your SOMA.

oh snap! brave new world reference!

so you decide on getting some springs despite it not helping economy?

otterhere
01-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Snap! You get the literary allusion!!! SOMA is today's Prozac; have you noticed???