PDA

View Full Version : so can you turbo the yaris without check engine lights?

letstry1234
01-04-2009, 08:14 AM
OK. I have a Audi TT, I have done a fair amount of mods to it, I understand the hardware side of it. but without a ecu hack (which doesn't exist ,right) how do you get by the ecu? I don't seem to have a grasp on it thanks for explaining

seth_man
01-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Without tuning, you would need to get the injector size and fuel pressure absolutely perfect for the boost you plan to run. it would take some math and most likely some trial and error before you got it right but yeah it could be done.

eTiMaGo
01-04-2009, 03:35 PM
it also helps that the base tuning actually runs quite rich at WOT...

Garm (cali yaris) has been having a lot of difficulties getting a piggyback to work so has been running his 183hp turbo'd yaris on the stock ECU for several months now. Of course, he's not driving balls to the wall all the time, but the stock tune seems adequate so far!

letstry1234
01-04-2009, 04:12 PM
so what injectors are people using? and fuel pressure regulator?

cali yaris
01-04-2009, 05:58 PM
"People" aren't doing anything. Yet. I think there are three or four of us only that have tried turbo-ing in this country so far. :cry: Me, Cdjyded, Richard Holdener and one other. No one has successfully and completely tuned the project and run it on the street with no issues yet.

to answer your question (doing some searches on here would probably benefit you), I'm running tC injectors and not FPR, the fuel pressure seems to be just fine up to 8psi.

Tamago
01-04-2009, 06:02 PM
to answer your question (doing some searches on here would probably benefit you), I'm running tC injectors and not FPR, the fuel pressure seems to be just fine up to 8psi.

same setup i have at 10psi, no fuel pressure issues (not that you could correct it anyway, without re-plumbing the fuel system)

i live with the CEL on a daily basis...

kou
01-04-2009, 06:24 PM
what is the cel that you are getting and what year tc injectors(not sure if they are all the same)thanks.

cali yaris
01-04-2009, 07:05 PM
tC injectors havent changed. The CEL I get is 0172, which is interesting because that is too rich!

kou
01-04-2009, 07:18 PM
tC injectors havent changed. The CEL I get is 0172, which is interesting because that is too rich!

thanks.did you ever run the car on stock injectors.

cali yaris
01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
nope, haven't tried that!

kou
01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
the only reason i ask is i am planning on getting the zage turbo kit,once the RH intake manifold comes out and thinking an extra injector may be best to turn on when needed instead of having the bigger injectors on all the time.

saplaymate
01-05-2009, 01:07 PM
"People" aren't doing anything. Yet. No one has successfully and completely tuned the project and run it on the street with no issues yet.

]! ! ! I MUST DISAGREE ! ! ![/SIZE]

I have been racing around FULLY TUNED , for 30K miles now.

10psi , 2zz Lotus injectors (330cc) , rest of the fuel system stock !

ZERO ISSUES anywhere in the power band.

Tamago
01-05-2009, 01:19 PM
the only reason i ask is i am planning on getting the zage turbo kit,once the RH intake manifold comes out and thinking an extra injector may be best to turn on when needed instead of having the bigger injectors on all the time.

i don't think you understand how injectors work.. and considering you can get tC injectors for free generally, it's a win/win

kou
01-05-2009, 04:52 PM
i don't think you understand how injectors work.. and considering you can get tC injectors for free generally, it's a win/win

whats to understand an injector turns on and off if you have a bigger one it releases more fuel.so a free cold start injector from an older VW would probaly work better to turn on when needed than four bigger injectors running all the time.

Tamago
01-05-2009, 06:03 PM
whats to understand an injector turns on and off if you have a bigger one it releases more fuel.so a free cold start injector from an older VW would probaly work better to turn on when needed than four bigger injectors running all the time.

larger injectors open for less time... it's called duty cycle.. you can run 550cc injectors as long as your pulse width is short enough

cali yaris
01-05-2009, 06:38 PM
I MUST DISAGREE ! ! !

Did you get the "in this country" part?? -- which I still believe is true. sheesh.

PetersRedYaris
01-05-2009, 08:00 PM
How many cc's are the stock injectors and the TC injectors?

Tamago
01-05-2009, 08:01 PM
How many cc's are the stock injectors and the TC injectors?

tc injectors are 360-370 iirc..

stock is like 210? i forget lol

PetersRedYaris
01-05-2009, 08:05 PM
What about 1ZZ and 2ZZ injectors?

Tamago
01-05-2009, 08:06 PM
What about 1ZZ and 2ZZ injectors?

www.google.com

i think 2zz are 330CC. i wouldn't waste time on 1zz injectors.. honestly i wouldn't waste time on 2zz injectors either.. the tC ones work fine

PetersRedYaris
01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Fine??? This topic focuses on the fact that no one has a turboed Yaris with no CEL's, and Cali yaris' code says he's running to rich. It seems there could be a happy medium between the stock and TC injectors. Hence the 1zz or 2zz injectors...

cali yaris
01-05-2009, 08:48 PM
I get my CEL mostly on cold start, which makes a lot of sense. Rarely while driving, but when I do it's when I let off as far as I can tell.

So, I think mine is very close to being right. We also opened up the MAF tubing where the sensor is, so that is also in my mix of how things work.

anyone know what a 420 code is? (I know, I know, but really, it's a serious question).

Tamago
01-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I get my CEL mostly on cold start, which makes a lot of sense. Rarely while driving, but when I do it's when I let off as far as I can tell.

So, I think mine is very close to being right. We also opened up the MAF tubing where the sensor is, so that is also in my mix of how things work.

anyone know what a 420 code is? (I know, I know, but really, it's a serious question).

catalytic converter is in the shtter

Tamago
01-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Fine??? This topic focuses on the fact that no one has a turboed Yaris with no CEL's, and Cali yaris' code says he's running to rich. It seems there could be a happy medium between the stock and TC injectors. Hence the 1zz or 2zz injectors...

i'm assuming you're thinking stock ecu?

saplaymate
01-05-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm pretty sure I live in this country .

From what I have found
Blues ones (12 hole) new 1nz & 1zz are 195cc
Green from older 1nz 250cc
Yellow old 2zz 310cc
Brown newer 2zz n/a 330cc
High performance 2zz Dark Blue 390cc & Gray 410cc.

The bigger you go the harder to trim. You should only run as big as you need for the best possible tune. And the Ecu can trim only to a certain extent in CLOSED loop but will never make the correct adjustments in OPEN loop, you must modify the MAF signal to change Pulse Duration (FACT) for larger injectors. And if you using a online calculator like RCs formula it's going way over on recommended injector size. But hey it's not like I haven't wasted my time stating all this before:biggrin:

I'm not a fan of and extra injector in dry manifolds. (my opinion) Fluids don't travel the same as gases around corners. But lots of people use them although manufactures don't?

Toy doesn't openly release any info, all my numbers are from my own research and some flow testing. And when playing with toy injectors you should always flow test them to verify.

Answer to the original question, ABSOLUTELY !! I don't have CELs and scoot cleanly all the way through my power band:burnrubber:

kou
01-05-2009, 10:04 PM
:confused:then why does it take you 3 shifts to get from 0-60 when i can hit 60 with 1 shift from 1st to 2nd and i dont have a turbo.

Tamago
01-05-2009, 10:19 PM
:confused:then why does it take you 3 shifts to get from 0-60 when i can hit 60 with 1 shift from 1st to 2nd and i dont have a turbo.

different gear ratios?

turbo does not change your gear ratios lol

kou
01-05-2009, 10:28 PM
if he has an 08hb it should not be different. turbo will just get you there faster.

Tamago
01-05-2009, 10:42 PM
if he has an 08hb it should not be different. turbo will just get you there faster.

you are correct, 1.9:1 2nd gear, 3.72:1 final drive and 185/60/15 achieves 60mph around 6000rpm

cali yaris
01-05-2009, 11:53 PM
I don't have CELs and scoot cleanly all the way through my power band

I sit corrected. And you're the only one, which still attends to my general point.

cali yaris
01-05-2009, 11:53 PM
catalytic converter is in the shtter

LOL - cat? what cat?

saplaymate
01-06-2009, 01:25 AM

It's a joke, you know , most people give a 0-60 in seconds. I' have no trouble getting up to speed, my co-worker learned that in his 5.slow

Abodame99
01-06-2009, 03:46 AM
man this ecu thing is hella confusing. its the only thing holding me back from fi. ive been on the boards for a while and have been reading all the ecu threads, almost have to be a computer engineer to figure this stuff out! thats why i like general aviation recip engines. its all oil pressure and air pressure, a lot easier than this!

ddongbap
01-06-2009, 04:39 AM
"People" aren't doing anything. Yet. I think there are three or four of us only that have tried turbo-ing in this country so far. :cry: Me, Cdjyded, Richard Holdener and one other. No one has successfully and completely tuned the project and run it on the street with no issues yet.

Do S/Cers count?

ddongbap
01-06-2009, 04:42 AM
LOL Saplaymate. Welcome back.

saplaymate
01-06-2009, 07:02 AM
man this ecu thing is hella confusing. its the only thing holding me back from fi. ive been on the boards for a while and have been reading all the ecu threads, almost have to be a computer engineer to figure this stuff out! thats why i like general aviation recip engines. its all oil pressure and air pressure, a lot easier than this!

It's really not to complicated, this link really explanes everything. http://www.splitsec.com/ read the tuning guide focusing on signal modifiers.

If you are running <6psi all you need is to modify the MAF signal, with 330cc injectors on stock fuel system you can push 12psi no problem. IDK about anything over? You will need a scantool with live feed of fuel trims to tune closed loop and a Wideband for transition areas and open loop. The guy's at Split were super helpful on the phone and have experience with our cars.

Thanks Rob

Tamago
01-06-2009, 08:29 AM
LOL - cat? what cat?

that explains the code then, doesn't it ... :iono:

cali yaris
01-06-2009, 03:53 PM
that explains the code then, doesn't it ...

sure does! "420" = noxious emissions, indeed LOL

gwasabi
01-07-2009, 06:17 PM
hahaha garm said LOL CAT hahahaha

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/hgkk07/funnycat.jpg

whooppee777
01-07-2009, 06:32 PM
what about turbo yaris? how did zpi tune his yaris?

PetersRedYaris
01-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Don't ever mention ZPI... Oh, and they eliminated the first O2 sensor putting the car in limp mode, then tuned it while leaving the CEL on permanently. Gay wads...

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure I remember a picture of their installed kit with the MAF still right before the throttle body, as in after the turbo and intercooler. MAF's don't measure compressed air very well.