PDA

View Full Version : Snow tires - Really worth the money?

33OH
01-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Does anyone here run snow tires? And what does studding do?

I've never had to run snow tires on any of my other vehicles, but it would sure be alot cheaper than buying a new car. :wink: Even if it is over $300 still. Bleh.

devinlamothe
01-16-2009, 01:39 PM
I have snow tires on my HB and they were TOTALLY worth it. Up here in Northern Ontario we have tons of snow. If I didn't have snow tires, I would have been stuck/crashed/destroyed many times.

Studding lets you add metal studs to the bottom of your tires to add traction on icy roads. You'd have to check to see whether or not it was legal where you are (some places do not allow studded tires).

ChinoCharles
01-16-2009, 01:40 PM
In Ohio, studs are legal between I think November 1st and March something. I THINK.

Ryan, I bought a set of snow tires a couple months ago and never actually got to putting them on in true Charles fashion. They're barely used and come on steelies. Make me an offer.

33OH
01-16-2009, 01:52 PM
PMed you Chuck :D

thebarber
01-16-2009, 02:02 PM
just get regular snow tires

but 100% worth the dough

all season get hard below 8C (46F) and start to lose traction....winters stay soft when its cold

i wouldnt be able to make it around here in winter some times with all seasons

and for the record, even winter tires get hard at -34C (-29F)!

marcus
01-16-2009, 02:12 PM
itll save ur car from sliding and hitting something else..

gid
01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
yup , worth it . Could save you from thousands of $s of damge or injury compared to $500 or less for snows . I prefer studded snows for better braking / bite on ice or hard packed snow . Make sure to get all 4 replaced , especially if studded . If you have to brake sudden with studs only on the front your rear end will swing on out . If you have A.B.S. regular snows be fine , used GOODYEAR ULtra Grip Ice on a '99 PRIZM ( Corolla ) that had A.B.S. and handled poor driving conditions quite well . GOOD LUCK

gid
01-16-2009, 02:23 PM
RYANK , is that northern OHIO where there's lake effect snows ? If so , go with the studded . Is noisier , but worth the annoyance . Take Care

33OH
01-16-2009, 02:24 PM
qid, actually, I'm in the Appalachian Mountain part. (towards PA/WV), so no lake effect snow, but tons of snow drifting off the hills.

33OH
01-16-2009, 02:24 PM
and thanks all for the info. I'm definitely going to be buying some now.

I've just never had a car that has slid around this much in the snow.

gid
01-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Welcome , all about your safety and comfort :thumbsup: .

33OH
01-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Just ordered some from TireRack, $55 each, not too shabby. :thumbsup:

gid
01-16-2009, 03:29 PM
which ones ? They do have resonable prices . Like to read the reviews too . Have a good trip as well .

ddongbap
01-16-2009, 03:30 PM
ahhh. the only snow we get here in so cali come on cones. with flavoring.

33OH
01-16-2009, 04:09 PM
which ones ? They do have resonable prices . Like to read the reviews too . Have a good trip as well .

The Firestone Winterforces. Had a 9/10 review. :thumbup:

thebarber
01-16-2009, 05:15 PM
14's ftw!

uncleyaris
01-16-2009, 06:39 PM
I have Gislavad from Scandinavia and I love them!!!!

ChinoCharles
01-16-2009, 06:40 PM
uncleyaris, I feel like I haven't seen you post in 400 years. How have you been? Yeah, I know its off topic. Fuck your thread Ryan. :laugh:

uncleyaris
01-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Hey man, been so f....n busy with work, kids , wife, holidays, besides sometimes you think you don't mean shit around here anyways!!!

ChinoCharles
01-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Screw all that. You're one of the OG's of YW. Don't forget about us! Good to hear you've been busy though, better than doing nothing! :smile:

andries
01-17-2009, 03:31 AM
I have Yokohama W-drive. They were totally worth it:thumbup:

nemelek
01-17-2009, 05:51 AM
Once or twice a year I could use them. For my circumstances, it's not worth the money.

thebarber
01-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Once or twice a year I could use them. For my circumstances, it's not worth the money.

does it get below 50F in winter? then they'd be worth the money.

the thing that im sure most people dont realize is that winter rims/tires aren't that big of an expenditure. sure you have to buy an extra set of steelies w/ tires, but while youre running your winter setup, you're not running your summer....so all your tires last essentially twice as long.

Lafiro
01-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Left my tires on for the first snow of the season. Leaving work on a hilly curse my backend came out, and my car just did a 90degree turn and kept sliding till it rolled forwards, jumped the snowy bank, and came to a stop 5 inches from a tree. The car was lowered and the snow passing the button of the car stopped it. Not because of the stupid tired I had on at the time.

Then I drove a BMW X5 4.8liter the other night, and WOW was I impressed with the handling, speed, brakes, and ability to not slide easy at all.

So yes everyone, get yourselves a good set of snow tires!

Doug007
01-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Although I live in sunny California, we make regular treks to Truckee, CA, where the snow and ice prevail most of the winter and into spring. I have Toyo studless snow tires, which are OK to operate up to 80 dgrees and work well in the Central Valley winter/spring. They are really handy up in the mountains, even without studs.

Gid mentioned the cost factor and I agree. For the price of my deductible in case of accident, I'll get 2-3 years out of the Toyos by rotating my all seasons. For me and my family, as well as other drivers I might encounter, a good investment. As an aside, my wife actually surprised me and got a killer deal last spring from Les Schwab:thumbup:

Jerkratt
01-17-2009, 03:24 PM
thinking about picking up a set of show tires.. i slid into the curb well show mound lol and broke some of the clips holding the front lip on... so now i have an excuse to get a body kit hehe but yeah DEFF getting tires maybe i can con my uncle into getting them for me... still owes me a holiday gift..

Black Yaris
01-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Hey Chino.... still got those snows?.. I want to try and keep these 17's nice

TLyttle
01-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Gotta watch studs on clean pavement! All of a sudden, you are dealing with carbide tires and the attendant lack of traction. The sparks are spectacular, stopping ain't...

DeliciousYaris2007
01-17-2009, 10:17 PM
I got snow tires this winter and LOVE them! They are absolutely amazing :) I'd have to look again to see exactly who made them. They were the cheapest to install by Toyota...

koala
01-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Snow tires are absolutely a good idea if safety is any sort of concern. One thing I will say though is don't go too cheap. I normally buy good quality but on the Yaris I thought we'd try to save some money so we bought some Dunlop Graspic DS-2's and they're absolute shit tires... can't wait for them to wear out!

elementalist
01-17-2009, 11:39 PM
I have michelin x-ice's on 14" rims. They are pretty decent on snow and ice. YOu have to remember, even with winter tires, you have to be a bit more cautious in the winter.

Nexus1155
01-18-2009, 12:09 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/nv4db6.jpg

LOL your'e doing it wrong ^^^ !!! (Don't be like them)

firemachine69
01-18-2009, 01:46 AM
I have snow tires on my HB and they were TOTALLY worth it. Up here in Northern Ontario we have tons of snow. If I didn't have snow tires, I would have been stuck/crashed/destroyed many times.

Studding lets you add metal studs to the bottom of your tires to add traction on icy roads. You'd have to check to see whether or not it was legal where you are (some places do not allow studded tires).

Off-topic... but whoa... a local?!? :eek::thumbup:

I find snow's a requirement for any decent amount of frozen precipitation on the Yaris. My Sunfire didn't need them, but the little 'Yota sure does!

Snow tires are absolutely a good idea if safety is any sort of concern. One thing I will say though is don't go too cheap. I normally buy good quality but on the Yaris I thought we'd try to save some money so we bought some Dunlop Graspic DS-2's and they're absolute shit tires... can't wait for them to wear out!

I have those on my Yaris right now. Other than road noise, I find they're great.

gid
01-18-2009, 12:33 PM
don't recommend over inflating studded tires ( 35 p.s.i. or > ) . Reason being you'll have less contact between the road and tire surface , riding on studs ( wear metal studs quicker ) . Less air , more rubber to meet the road . Have noticed that the steering ( cornering ) is more sensitive with studded tires and the electric assisted power steering too .

MUSKOKA800
01-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Installing winter (ice) tires on my sedan took it from scary bad (on OEM Goodyear LS tires) to confident and sure footed. Especially on packed/icy surfaces where the LS's were absolutely useless. I'd never experience tires so poor in ice. Goodyear has a nerve calling those all-season tires. They must mean all-seasons of Mexico.

nemelek
01-19-2009, 11:33 AM
does it get below 50F in winter? then they'd be worth the money.

the thing that im sure most people dont realize is that winter rims/tires aren't that big of an expenditure. sure you have to buy an extra set of steelies w/ tires, but while youre running your winter setup, you're not running your summer....so all your tires last essentially twice as long.

Once or twice a year it get below 0. Today is getting up to 65. The snow and ice here melts real quick. We can get 8 inches on Monday and 4 days later be playing golf. The road crews do a great job in clearing the streets. I have yet to be stuck using all season tires. Even when driving to ski areas in the mountains. When conditions are called for, I use more care. The people that get stuck or in accidents are the ones that don't know how to drive in winter conditions. If I lived further north like ND or Canada, I might consider snow tires. I can't justify spending $500 on a car that costs $12,000.

thebarber
01-19-2009, 11:46 AM
all seasons = no seasons

firemachine69
01-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Installing winter (ice) tires on my sedan took it from scary bad (on OEM Goodyear LS tires) to confident and sure footed. Especially on packed/icy surfaces where the LS's were absolutely useless. I'd never experience tires so poor in ice. Goodyear has a nerve calling those all-season tires. They must mean all-seasons of Mexico.

Nah, just Florida. :rolleyes:

The are *supposed* to be low-rolling resistance tires, i.e. low grip, for better fuel economy, and last a while, but my first set will be done this coming summer, I already wore off half the treads. :rolleyes::thumbdown:

Thirty-Nine
01-19-2009, 01:09 PM
FYI: Snow tires = totally worth it. I've owned Nokian and now a set of studded snow tires (yes, they're mismatched brands), but they work awesome. Amazing difference between snows and all seasons.

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
01-19-2009, 01:52 PM
all seasons = no seasons
ive had no problems so far with the ny weather and my all season bridgestone's. i feel bad for those with the goodyear tourings.......

kou
01-19-2009, 01:59 PM
i had the Brigestone's on my last yaris and now the goodyears on my new one and the Bridgestone's are alot better in the snow.

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
01-19-2009, 02:02 PM
the all season's SUCK on the ice but snow up to 6/7 inches on the road seem to not be a problem.......

Thirty-Nine
01-19-2009, 04:11 PM
I lived in MN and WI for 28 years and drove all but one season on "all-season" tires w/o incident. However, the last year I lived in WI, I had the Nokain snow tires, and they made a believer out of me. Snow tires are great.