PDA

View Full Version : stupid drivers, and who are they?!!

TEE
01-21-2009, 02:15 AM
how is there so many stupid and bad drivers on the roads? how are these people getting their license to drive like this. there should be a rule to have a road test every 3-5 years so some of these people could be taken care of and off the road.

thebarber
01-21-2009, 06:54 AM
its all the maritimers in AB...

dinamix
01-21-2009, 07:01 AM
you think alberta drivers are bad ? wait till come down here and see what a shitshow bc winters can be.

this is what i have to deal with ..

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=857052b0-fa3f-4066-89f2-b01dcd2f4eff

thebarber
01-21-2009, 09:05 AM
sorry, but the further east you go, the worse the drivers...

mojoyaris
01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
My wife, from Japan, thinks we all drive on the wrong side of the road..........and she says the Vitz in Japan is a superior car to what we have here............and she thinks my car stinks and it made me a dumb driver.............not stupid, just dumb........

voodoo22
01-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Guaranteed that Japanese drivers are on average much more skilled than us Canadians and anyone not thinking so has not driven around Japan. I'm sure the same applies to European drivers as well, but I have yet to travel there yet.

That being said, we're just too selfish here. The most dangerous driving I've seen to this point is the 401 in Toronto, where people think they can go 120 km/h + regardless of conditions.

thebarber
01-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Guaranteed that Japanese drivers are on average much more skilled than us Canadians and anyone not thinking so has not driven around Japan. I'm sure the same applies to European drivers as well, but I have yet to travel there yet.

That being said, we're just too selfish here. The most dangerous driving I've seen to this point is the 401 in Toronto, where people think they can go 120 km/h + regardless of conditions.

theres also being too cautious....like doing 80 on the 401

also ppl out here will slam on their brakes to let people out of driveways and to let people cross the road....

i would say that all in all people out here are too timid....but perhaps its a small-town mentality

TEE
01-21-2009, 12:09 PM
right now the road conditions are the best they have been in a while. it has nothing to do with road conditions. these people need to "learn" how to drive again. some people think they're the only ones on the road. they have no courtesy.

voodoo22
01-21-2009, 02:00 PM
theres also being too cautious....like doing 80 on the 401

We will never agree on that point and if you did my commute everyday you might think differently as I used to drive a lot differently under different circumstances.

One thing which we can't dispute is people going over 100 km/h are breaking the law. People going 80 km/h are not.

People passing on the shoulder or on the right, going from the express into merge lanes through solid lines to cut in front of traffic, not signaling lane changes, tail gating, weaving in and out, and driving slow in any lane other than the right lane are all breaking the law. People driving 80 km/h in the right lane on a 3 lane highway are not breaking the law.

I can't control how fast those idiotic people on the road want to drive who think the MAXIMUM posted speed limit is a suggestion, but I can control how fast I am going when/if things go wrong.

I choose to greatly increase my statistical chances of avoiding or surviving an accident by driving slower, using proper tires in the conditions (this means winter tires in the winter) and driving defensively, because I know I am not a perfect driver and I need to be vigilant about safety for mine and others sake.

People can be too timid to drive, but that is not the largest problem on our roads. It's the people who are too confident about their own abilities as a driver who think they can control any situation and need not worry about the laws of physics or the highway.

It has even been proven by traffic flow experts that if people drove slower that highway congestion would go away. Instead everyone is speeding up to go no where and clogging it all up. I often do not touch my brakes on my entire 50 km one way trip on the 401. You can think I'm being too cautious, or that I'm too timid, but that's just one more misconception that you share with other people who think they don't have to follow all of the rules on the road.

thebarber
01-21-2009, 02:10 PM
touched a nerve? youre too easy, lol.

devinlamothe
01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
right now the road conditions are the best they have been in a while. it has nothing to do with road conditions. these people need to "learn" how to drive again. some people think they're the only ones on the road. they have no courtesy.

It's sad but true. There was a study done by psychologists and they basically found that people who drive aggressively treat their car as an extension of their living space, and therefore anyone who is getting in their way is just an obstacle and not a real person. This leads to people speeding, crazy lane changing, etc.

I tend to believe this as well, and to give you an example, we are in a suburb about 10 mins down a highway, where the posted limit is 80km/h. Honestly, NO ONE does the posted limit, everyone does about 110km/h. So far this winter, two people have died on this hwy, and a few have been sent to hospital for serious injuries. Do people still speed in the snow and ice? Yes.

All I have to say is W T F.

voodoo22
01-22-2009, 07:23 AM
touched a nerve? youre too easy, lol.

Yesterday was definitely one of those days:smile:

MUSKOKA800
01-22-2009, 07:29 AM
We will never agree on that point and if you did my commute everyday you might think differently as I used to drive a lot differently under different circumstances.

One thing which we can't dispute is people going over 100 km/h are breaking the law. People going 80 km/h are not.

People passing on the shoulder or on the right, going from the express into merge lanes through solid lines to cut in front of traffic, not signaling lane changes, tail gating, weaving in and out, and driving slow in any lane other than the right lane are all breaking the law. People driving 80 km/h in the right lane on a 3 lane highway are not breaking the law.

I can't control how fast those idiotic people on the road want to drive who think the MAXIMUM posted speed limit is a suggestion, but I can control how fast I am going when/if things go wrong.

I choose to greatly increase my statistical chances of avoiding or surviving an accident by driving slower, using proper tires in the conditions (this means winter tires in the winter) and driving defensively, because I know I am not a perfect driver and I need to be vigilant about safety for mine and others sake.

People can be too timid to drive, but that is not the largest problem on our roads. It's the people who are too confident about their own abilities as a driver who think they can control any situation and need not worry about the laws of physics or the highway.

It has even been proven by traffic flow experts that if people drove slower that highway congestion would go away. Instead everyone is speeding up to go no where and clogging it all up. I often do not touch my brakes on my entire 50 km one way trip on the 401. You can think I'm being too cautious, or that I'm too timid, but that's just one more misconception that you share with other people who think they don't have to follow all of the rules on the road.

I'm sure people drive with reckless abandon in Ontario simply because our police dwell on speeding only. I'll bet 99% of OPP tickets are written for speeding while not a kilometre passes without seeing drivers who are too lazy/inconsiderate to use their signals for turns and lane changes, making double/triple lane changes, making left and right turns clear across multiple lanes, usually with no signal, yakking on phones and texting, obstructing the PASSING lane etc, etc, etc...
The only time we hear of any other infractions being ticketed is when they have the long weekend blitzes on the 400 series highways (do they still have those since the camera loving Cam Woolley retired). Too bad they ignore the chaos that goes on the other ~355 days of the year.
I agree we also badly need re-testing every 10 years of so. This should be followed by unanimous video surveillance and immediate licence suspension those who pass then return to their sloppy driving habits.
Driving is a privilege, not a right. Far too many abuse the privilege.

thebarber
01-22-2009, 09:08 AM
i agree w/ retesting

i agree that i treat the car as an extension of my person, so get out of my bubble when i drive

i also recognize that i can drive like an asshole too.

i also have a wife and kid on the way...so ive made a concerted effort to stop drive like an dumbshit w/ the wife and kid (who isnt born yet) are in the car....playin it safe....but its a tough transition

voodoo22
01-22-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm sure people drive with reckless abandon in Ontario simply because our police dwell on speeding only. I'll bet 99% of OPP tickets are written for speeding while not a kilometre passes without seeing drivers who are too lazy/inconsiderate to use their signals for turns and lane changes, making double/triple lane changes, making left and right turns clear across multiple lanes, usually with no signal, yakking on phones and texting, obstructing the PASSING lane etc, etc, etc...
The only time we hear of any other infractions being ticketed is when they have the long weekend blitzes on the 400 series highways (do they still have those since the camera loving Cam Woolley retired). Too bad they ignore the chaos that goes on the other ~355 days of the year.
I agree we also badly need re-testing every 10 years of so. This should be followed by unanimous video surveillance and immediate licence suspension those who pass then return to their sloppy driving habits.
Driving is a privilege, not a right. Far too many abuse the privilege.

Those are really good points.

voodoo22
01-22-2009, 02:22 PM
i agree w/ retesting

i agree that i treat the car as an extension of my person, so get out of my bubble when i drive

i also recognize that i can drive like an asshole too.

i also have a wife and kid on the way...so ive made a concerted effort to stop drive like an dumbshit w/ the wife and kid (who isnt born yet) are in the car....playin it safe....but its a tough transition

It takes time to change. Took me many years to adjust my driving style and moving to Ontario took the adjustment one step further. You can actually feel danger on roads around here and see people in accidents every single day. Today I drove around 3 accidents on my way to work. I'm sure at least one of them was fatal.

Seeing and living through stuff like that makes you change, but IMO only gradual change is sustainable, overnight change will see you bounce back to your bad habits eventually.

TEE
01-26-2009, 11:23 PM
It's sad but true. There was a study done by psychologists and they basically found that people who drive aggressively treat their car as an extension of their living space, and therefore anyone who is getting in their way is just an obstacle and not a real person. This leads to people speeding, crazy lane changing, etc.

I tend to believe this as well, and to give you an example, we are in a suburb about 10 mins down a highway, where the posted limit is 80km/h. Honestly, NO ONE does the posted limit, everyone does about 110km/h. So far this winter, two people have died on this hwy, and a few have been sent to hospital for serious injuries. Do people still speed in the snow and ice? Yes.

All I have to say is W T F.

wow thats crazy. some people need to think more about the road conditions and react to them properly. i dont see a need to speed that drastically in conditions as bad as that.

Pars
01-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Not in my area, it's 365 days and one wrong move and the Toronto police is on my ass. I've got 6 Starbucks surrounding my house that are about 2 min drive away. If i'm not passing a police cruiser on the way to Starbuck, I'll end up meeting them in the line-up for coffee (luckly, It's not a police line-up).

I think Toronto, specifically the Markham/Scarborough area have the worst drivers and the police presents in that area is scares. Go figure.

If the world was a perfect place, there wouldn't be any bad drivers, we just need to learn to keep our cool and keep our distance. Personally, speeding/speeders don't annoy me. In fact, I like being passed by a speeder and am quick to get out of their way.....less chance for me to get pulled over when there's someone going faster.

The really annoying drivers are the ones who are going slower then the rest of the traffic and hogging the left lane. In those situation, I'll just hang back and watch the entertainment while someone tries futilely to get them to move and wait for an opening. Then there's the people who are going too fast for conditions. In the city area, when the road gets slick, I'm the one who's passing everyone, but up north, in the snow country, I'm either mid pack or slower. Which is alright since I'm around drivers who are experienced. Not so in the city, if they're trying to pass me, I put them in the idiot category and give them lots of space. If it's a two wheeler, I'll go down on the accelerator and leave them behind (I don't want the idiots trying to pass me and then spinning out in front of me or side swiping me). If it's another 4 wheeler, I'll back off and let them pass and then get them to clear the way for me. Especially in very heavy snow where my lighter SUV won't cut through the snow as well a heavier SUV, but around the turns, I'm just as nimble as the cars, and got the traction control and 4 wheel drive in reserve if I overdue it.

ZING
01-27-2009, 05:13 AM
You guys have seen nothing till you come to a 3rd world country like Lebanon. If you think passing a red light is bad..oh noes! It's the least of my worries. HAd a truck coming reverse in the middle of the highway yesterday, almost caused the biggest pile up ever.

And road signs? What are those :S
Speed limit? Wat?

1NZYaris1
01-27-2009, 05:30 AM
I Had changed , slowed down ,drove to the speed limit ,
Then i bought a AFE intake , Thanks Garm , now even the wife likes to put her
foot down, Oh well life goes on.

voodoo22
01-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Not in my area, it's 365 days and one wrong move and the Toronto police is on my ass. I've got 6 Starbucks surrounding my house that are about 2 min drive away. If i'm not passing a police cruiser on the way to Starbuck, I'll end up meeting them in the line-up for coffee (luckly, It's not a police line-up).

I think Toronto, specifically the Markham/Scarborough area have the worst drivers and the police presents in that area is scares. Go figure.

If the world was a perfect place, there wouldn't be any bad drivers, we just need to learn to keep our cool and keep our distance. Personally, speeding/speeders don't annoy me. In fact, I like being passed by a speeder and am quick to get out of their way.....less chance for me to get pulled over when there's someone going faster.

The really annoying drivers are the ones who are going slower then the rest of the traffic and hogging the left lane. In those situation, I'll just hang back and watch the entertainment while someone tries futilely to get them to move and wait for an opening. Then there's the people who are going too fast for conditions. In the city area, when the road gets slick, I'm the one who's passing everyone, but up north, in the snow country, I'm either mid pack or slower. Which is alright since I'm around drivers who are experienced. Not so in the city, if they're trying to pass me, I put them in the idiot category and give them lots of space. If it's a two wheeler, I'll go down on the accelerator and leave them behind (I don't want the idiots trying to pass me and then spinning out in front of me or side swiping me). If it's another 4 wheeler, I'll back off and let them pass and then get them to clear the way for me. Especially in very heavy snow where my lighter SUV won't cut through the snow as well a heavier SUV, but around the turns, I'm just as nimble as the cars, and got the traction control and 4 wheel drive in reserve if I overdue it.

I don't know if you're really smart or if I think you're really smart, because I agree with you:biggrin:

I think all your points are bang on.:thumbup:

I've live in the Scarborough/Markham area for a couple years now and people at work didn't believe me that the drivers there could be as bad as I said until a couple of them had to go to some meetings in the area.

MUSKOKA800
01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I don't know if you're really smart or if I think you're really smart, because I agree with you:biggrin:

I've live in the Scarborough/Markham area for a couple years now and people at work didn't believe me that the drivers there could be as bad as I said until a couple of them had to go to some meetings in the area.

I have a buddy who lives near Kennedy Road. Before the first time I was to go to visit he warned me of the drivers on Kennedy Road. After many visits since I can concur that the "steering wheel holders" in his vicinity need some education. Evidently getting a license in some foreign countries doesn't require much skill, common sence or confidence.

caş
01-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi everybody,

To tell the truth, you can come across the drivers who don’t obey the traffic rules not only in Canada, but also other parts of the world. It’s wrong to make a generalisation. In Istanbul for example, you can see crazy drivers, as well as the drivers respesting the other motorists and the pedestrians.:frown:

I completely agree with devinlamothe.:thumbsup: The drivers who drive aggressively and who don’t respect the others in fact reflect their inferiority complex. A person respecting himself/herself repectes the others as well.:respekt:

Bye.
:smile:

Benggolf2
01-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Just an observation....majority of Oriental female drivers here in Greater Vancouver Area are downright too aggressive to the point of being dangerous!

They drive their cars like ram rods, cut in front of you and show no road courtesy at all. Some even give you the dirty finger! :eek: Hmmm, makes me wonder if their driving is a reflection of their rotten love/sex life. :tongue:

Best to keep your guard, steer away and let them through to avoid accidents. :biggrin:

Pars
01-28-2009, 07:53 AM

Thanks Voodoo22.:smile:

orheen
01-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi everybody,

To tell the truth, you can come across the drivers who don’t obey the traffic rules not only in Canada, but also other parts of the world. It’s wrong to make a generalisation. In Istanbul for example, you can see crazy drivers, as well as the drivers respesting the other motorists and the pedestrians.:frown:

I completely agree with devinlamothe.:thumbsup: The drivers who drive aggressively and who don’t respect the others in fact reflect their inferiority complex. A person respecting himself/herself repectes the others as well.:respekt:

Bye.

+1 and hi from turkey too :burnrubber: I completely agree with you, caş. The most important thing in the trafic is "respect". I think the yaris owners ery respectful :headbang:

SilverBack
01-29-2009, 02:33 AM
Canada doesn't sound too bad actually. Come out to LA sometime and try dealing with our "great drivers". Getting around is a constant battle, and there's usually a good wreck to be seen at least twice a week because tired to pull a fast one. Seems like the bigger the vehicle, the dumber and more aggressive the driver.

The motto around here should be "Sometimes a good offense is the best defense", followed by the chant: "Gas brake honk. Gas swerve brake. Honk honk punch"

voodoo22
01-29-2009, 07:07 AM
Canada doesn't sound too bad actually. Come out to LA sometime and try dealing with our "great drivers". Getting around is a constant battle, and there's usually a good wreck to be seen at least twice a week because tired to pull a fast one. Seems like the bigger the vehicle, the dumber and more aggressive the driver.

The motto around here should be "Sometimes a good offense is the best defense", followed by the chant: "Gas brake honk. Gas swerve brake. Honk honk punch"

Canada in general is safe for driving, but the 400 series hwys in Ontario are another story. It is not uncommon to see 3-5 accidents a day on my daily commute of 52 kms each way.

I haven't driven in LA, but I have driven most of the hwys in Canada and in the central US from Houston to Bilings and the eastern sea board from New York to Orlando, even in Japan, Peru and Cambodia and none of those roads compare to the 400 series drivers around here. Most are good, but the bad ones are over the top insane.

jambo101
01-29-2009, 11:03 AM
A 2004 report on traffic deaths around the world,countries of note =China 107,000.
India 90,000. USA 40,000+
http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20section/statistics/stats-multicountry-percapita-2004.htm (http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20section/statistics/stats-multicountry-percapita-2004.htm)

voodoo22
01-30-2009, 06:49 AM
It surprises me Japan is that high, but they have a huge trend downward, which I'm sure is heavily influenced by the fact that younger people don't car to drive or own cars in growing numbers there.

Thanks for the link.

alhope34
02-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Back to the 401 topic...

I don't think going 120+ on the 401 is dangerous at all. If traffic is doing 120-130, then you should be doing the same. 10km/h over OR under traffic is a hazard on the road. My mom used to teach school bus drivers for Stock and has had her E license for about 18 years. This was one of the points she always rose for those drivers who had highways on their daily route.

I even got marked down on my G test for going 100km/h on the 401. I lost 10% for this, but still passed. Traffic was going 110-115km/h on the 401 at the time and the tester said "If traffic is going 110km/h or 115km/h or 120km/h or whatever speed everyone is doing, go that speed. Otherwise you are a danger on the road everyone will be going around you to avoid and raising the possibility of a crash several times over."

voodoo22
02-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Back to the 401 topic...

I don't think going 120+ on the 401 is dangerous at all. If traffic is doing 120-130, then you should be doing the same. 10km/h over OR under traffic is a hazard on the road. My mom used to teach school bus drivers for Stock and has had her E license for about 18 years. This was one of the points she always rose for those drivers who had highways on their daily route.

I even got marked down on my G test for going 100km/h on the 401. I lost 10% for this, but still passed. Traffic was going 110-115km/h on the 401 at the time and the tester said "If traffic is going 110km/h or 115km/h or 120km/h or whatever speed everyone is doing, go that speed. Otherwise you are a danger on the road everyone will be going around you to avoid and raising the possibility of a crash several times over."

You're wrong and there's nothing you can do or say to justify this completely incorrect point of view. People who think like you are a huge problem. Learn the definition of the word Maximum and then notice that it's 100 MAXIMUM.

I try to be open minded and I will often have my ideas reshaped by others interesting new points of view, but your view on this issue is completely wrong and ridiculous.

Come up with all the stories you want to justify breaking the law and driving unsafely, you're still wrong. Saying you have to be going fast enough so that people don't have to make unsafe lane changes to pass you? If you are not able to prepare for slower moving traffic enough to make an safe lane change when someone isn't gong YOUR speed then you are a hazard on the road and should be banned from driving.

Your point of view here is so insane, it's almost like you're just trolling or extremely immature in your cognitive abilities.

Enjoy that drop at the end of the cliff.... lemming.

alhope34
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM
You're wrong and there's nothing you can do or say to justify this completely incorrect point of view. People who think like you are a huge problem. Learn the definition of the word Maximum and then notice that it's 100 MAXIMUM.

I try to be open minded and I will often have my ideas reshaped by others interesting new points of view, but your view on this issue is completely wrong and ridiculous.

Come up with all the stories you want to justify breaking the law and driving unsafely, you're still wrong. Saying you have to be going fast enough so that people don't have to make unsafe lane changes to pass you? If you are not able to prepare for slower moving traffic enough to make an safe lane change when someone isn't gong YOUR speed then you are a hazard on the road and should be banned from driving.

Your point of view here is so insane, it's almost like you're just trolling or extremely immature in your cognitive abilities.

Enjoy that drop at the end of the cliff.... lemming.

I'm sorry but I think YOU'RE completely wrong. I'd rather listen to my mother and the licensed Ontario road tester I had. They both obviously know how to drive much better than you. All you seem to be doing is saying I'm wrong, and you're questioning my mental stability? How does it make sense then, that countries like Germany have much higher speed limits (sometimes none) and yet they have less driving deaths per capita than Canada?

I think you're the one who's immature. If I want to go 240km/h on the 401, you can't do a darn thing to stop me, bottom line. You can have fun going 100km/h on the 401, and I'll have fun passing you.

thebarber
02-03-2009, 07:06 PM
youre both wrong. and youre both right.

i think you both need to be considerate of the way other ppl drive

al, you seem an impatient youth w/ 300whp

voodoo, you seem like a geezer w/ time to kill and a 100bhp car.

you two will never see eye to eye

if everyone did the same speed we'd be fine.

and/or

if most people knew (and DID) keep left when there are fast ppl coming we'll also be fine (voodoo, i know you stay left...)

alhope34
02-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Haha, you're a good voice of reason. I know it sounds like I'm an impatient youth, but I'm not a youth and usually am not impatient. Truth be told, I usually make everyone mad around me cause when I'm on normal city surface streets I go the limit all the time. No point in even going 10 over, will just get stopped by something anyway. But if I'm cruising on the middle lane of the 401 at 120km/h with traffic, and some idiot is going 90-100km/h in the middle with a clear right lane, and all of us in the middle have to go to the left where traffic is 130-140km/h, it gets me aggravated. That one person is risking everyone's safety.

Doug007
02-03-2009, 07:19 PM

Well said! To be honest, my experiences driving in Canada have been largely positive with courtesy more the norm than state side. I live in the Central Valley of California where huge, lifted 4X4 pick ups roam freely...pretty scary. Interestingly, I've noticed a big difference in people's driving habits when I'm in my Sequoia.

thebarber
02-03-2009, 07:30 PM
if I'm cruising on the middle lane of the 401 at 120km/h with traffic, and some idiot is going 90-100km/h in the middle with a clear right lane, and all of us in the middle have to go to the left where traffic is 130-140km/h, it gets me aggravated..

lol, welcome to driving in southern ontario

problem is, no one wants to be in the left lane because of the traffic coming on the on ramps (imo the worst is the qew from the hammer to niagara falls...i used to do 115 in the slow lane and pass everyone)

Truth be told, I usually make everyone mad around me cause when I'm on normal city surface streets I go the limit all the time. No point in even going 10 over, will just get stopped by something anyway.
ya, im sorta the same way...er, but not really...i like doing 5 over....too bad ppl out here do 5 under

Haha, you're a good voice of reason. I know it sounds like I'm an impatient youth, but I'm not a youth and usually am not impatient.
maybe im projecting then....i know when i had my xrs id be dropping 6-3 on the highway if i thought someone looked at me funny....nothing could beat some broooBRAAAA in ppl's open windows in the summer - - god i loved that short ram!

alhope34
02-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I just just give a quick hit on the gas to blow my valve off in people's windows :P. Suddenly lose all interest in trying to get me to race. For a full bypass, this valve is pretty loud. This summer I really want the hybrid valve, though. Lower boost it runs recirc to keep the idle and shifting stable, but higher boost it will vent to air. I'm hitting 23psi now and holding 20psi to redline, so it should be pretty loud.

voodoo22
02-04-2009, 07:09 AM
I'm sorry but I think YOU'RE completely wrong. I'd rather listen to my mother and the licensed Ontario road tester I had. They both obviously know how to drive much better than you. All you seem to be doing is saying I'm wrong, and you're questioning my mental stability? How does it make sense then, that countries like Germany have much higher speed limits (sometimes none) and yet they have less driving deaths per capita than Canada?

I think you're the one who's immature. If I want to go 240km/h on the 401, you can't do a darn thing to stop me, bottom line. You can have fun going 100km/h on the 401, and I'll have fun passing you.

You have a lot of lessons to learn and I hope for your sake no one gets hurt in the process.

voodoo22
02-04-2009, 07:17 AM
voodoo, you seem like a geezer w/ time to kill and a 100bhp car.

I don't have time to kill, but I schedule my time when possible and want to stay alive.

I have lived on both sides of this speed fence. I have owned some very nice, very fast German cars. It's not easy for me to drive at or below the MAMIMUM speed limit but that's part of driving defensively and safe, but I do it for my own safety and the safety of others and engaging in proper driving behavior only brings positives.

I've disciplined myself, changed my driving behavior and will always be working on improving my techniques on the road.

You are right though, I will never agree with a self centered person who thinks they have the right to do whatever suits them on the road. Driving is a privilege not a right and putting others at danger without their consent is not acceptable.

voodoo22
02-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Haha, you're a good voice of reason. I know it sounds like I'm an impatient youth, but I'm not a youth and usually am not impatient. Truth be told, I usually make everyone mad around me cause when I'm on normal city surface streets I go the limit all the time. No point in even going 10 over, will just get stopped by something anyway. But if I'm cruising on the middle lane of the 401 at 120km/h with traffic, and some idiot is going 90-100km/h in the middle with a clear right lane, and all of us in the middle have to go to the left where traffic is 130-140km/h, it gets me aggravated. That one person is risking everyone's safety.

I don't agree with people going under the speed limit in any lane other than the right lane, but that person is not risking everyones safety. The people who are driving over the MAXIMUM speed limit or any speed which is preventing them from changing lanes safely is the one who is dangerous. Even though the person may be going to slow and could be pulled over for impeding traffic if you hit them, you're at fault. It's your responsibility to be able to safely cope with what is in front of you and if you can't handle that responsibility you shouldn't be driving.

Today I was driving at 80 km/h in the right lane in icy, track bare conditions when someone merged going under 50 km/h. Did that annoy me? Yes, but I was able to slow down safely without even using my brakes because I was paying attention, knew there were no vehicles in my lane behind me and I had a safe distance between me and the extremely slow moving vehicle.

I'm far from perfect and it's impossible to be 100% right even if I feel I am sometimes:biggrin:. It may come across that way on the internet and I would be we would get along and agree on many things if we met in person. It's easy to pick apart what people say on the internet.

The one thing I can tell is we would almost never have problems with each other on the road, because I am never anywhere left of the far right lane unless I am passing and I'm never in the far left lane unless I have an emergency to deal with. If you get into an accident though, please keep it out of the right lane:smile:

alhope34
02-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Haha, I'm not insecure about anything just because I like the sound of my BPV. It's usually only people with rusted out civics or sunfires that really ever try and egg me on. I never race anyone anyway.

I'd really like to see some supras on the road, I really would. They are amazing cars. I have only ever seen a few here in Toronto, and every time I've been in Quebec I have never seen one. There are a lot of Porsche Boxters it seems always on the 20 between MTL and QC, but frankly, that wouldn't even be a challenge for my car. Especially in a straight line.