PDA

View Full Version : Just finished Custom Intake Box YES

jbann
08-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Ok just completed my 1st protype intake setup, not the final one, pics tonite or tomorrow morning. Sounds alot better as well as the engine can actually breath now, great cheap mod. I removed the air filter and carbon filter from the stock intake box, put the intake box back together ran a pipe from the bottom of the intake box opening to right behind the foglight cover where the new cone filter sits, I kno how is it getting air, no i didnt remove the fog cover i simiply cut the backing out(explained later) allowing ram air in and just by looking u would never kno. #UPDATED WITH PICS#
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m75/jbann7/Intake/

jbann
08-14-2006, 06:30 PM
y

Chris07LB
08-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Makes perfect sence to me.. Thats the concept Volant uses on all their systems. Nice work.

riceboy
08-14-2006, 11:55 PM
PICS please!!!!!!!!!!!

Katana
08-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Yeah we need pics!

Katana
08-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Αh I also have to say that I will definately need your advice cause I have the 1.3lt engine and its layout is different.

Linkseal
08-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Let me see ur pics..

LBdriver
08-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Nice
You are aware that the stock filter also acts as a seal for the airbox, right?
What did you use to seal the box after you removed the stock filter.
If nothing then you may get dirt in there.

Katana
08-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Use a high air flow filter, for example a K&N one.

Katana
08-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Guys help here!

What can I do with my engine?It is the 2SZFE.

This is my engine bay.I will need to buy a bigger tube, cause the blue silicon made is only 30cm long.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/Alex-R/Yaris_3jpg.jpg

LBdriver
08-15-2006, 02:46 PM
just to make this clear.
When you put the box back together with out the stock filter, you will no longer have a sealed box. I know this from trying it. Unfiltered air will be drawn in at this point. Not a good thing for your engine.
With out the stock filter and the box clamps locked, you will still be able to move the top of the box alot. Proof of no seal.

Good luck - look into that sooner than later.

Chris07LB
08-15-2006, 05:59 PM
I think he means..

He removed the CHARCOLE FILTER.. NOT the actual air filter. If you never looked, we have TWO filters inside the box. The Charcole filter supposed to act as a way of keeping a better lock in of the fumes or some crap.. its a cloth like filter thats attached to the top part of the lid. I have the explination in my shop book.

Anyway, that filter IS NOT the one that seals between the two air box halfs.

:cool:

EDIT... Er, maybe not... looks like he added a cone style reusable filter at the very bottom, behind the fog cover.

Little confusing bro to follow...

johnnyfive
08-15-2006, 11:15 PM
could cut the outer eadge of the stock filter, off of the filter element, and just put that back in the box to make it seal, or oou could make an other sort of gasket out of any sort of weather striping you find handy :)

in your pics, cant really see what you did to the fog cover...atleast i think that is what it is in the last pic..

ChinoCharles
08-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Hah, good old hacked airboxes. One of the first things a poor DSM owner would do. Nice. (I was one haha)