PDA

View Full Version : Stranded Yaris

nemelek
01-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Has I was traveling the freeways today I say a Yaris Hatchback on the side of the road. The front tire was flat. As I passed noticed the flat tire was also the small spare. Too bad the driver wasn't a good looking female, I might have stopped. I have seen a lot of people drive 70 mph on the small spare. Maybe that's what caused the second flat.

Saggio
01-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Has I was traveling the freeways today I say a Yaris Hatchback on the side of the road. The front tire was flat. As I passed noticed the flat tire was also the small spare. Too bad the driver wasn't a good looking female, I might have stopped. I have seen a lot of people drive 70 mph on the small spare. Maybe that's what caused the second flat.

A driver with a flat needs to be a good looking female for you to help them out? :frown:

I know where you are coming from, but I wish people would help people that are in need of help when they need it no matter how that person "looks".:smile:

Depending if Im late for something or I have all the time in the world, I try and stop and help people on the side of the road when I can. Imagine if everyone would do this? That would be awesome! :thumbsup:

yarstar
01-30-2009, 09:19 PM
ALWAYS stop for another Yaris. Keep going if they are driving a FIT though.

auxmike
01-30-2009, 10:32 PM

or a VERSA!:clap:

Black Yaris
01-30-2009, 10:34 PM
I would have driven right past as well.... but I am an ass

Saggio
01-31-2009, 12:31 PM

This rule I might follow lol :biggrin:

BrazdonW
01-31-2009, 01:32 PM
or a VERSA!:clap:

no one is that dumb right? :)

MUSKOKA800
01-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Too many people use those spacesaver spares like a regular tire.
A woman at my office had one on the front of her Windstar for several months. I've seen plenty in use at high speed on the highway.

Altitude
01-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Too bad the driver wasn't a good looking female, I might have stopped.

FAIL

Here's the problem with your approach. That really good looking woman stranded on the side of the road most likely wouldn't want anything to do with a person of such attitude.

nemelek
01-31-2009, 05:53 PM
FAIL

Here's the problem with your approach. That really good looking woman stranded on the side of the road most likely wouldn't want anything to do with a person of such attitude.

Actually I was joking. I wouldn't stop even if it was a great looking female. It would be a waste of my time.

A) I am happily married and not looking.

B) What would a great looking young female want with a bald, pot-bellied, middle aged man driving a Yaris instead instead of a Lexus.

In my early 20's I did things to pick up women that I am really not proud of today.

MadMax
01-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Back in my younger days, I often stopped to help people in distress on the side of the road. However, with the commonality of cell phones; no one is really "stranded" like they once were. But if it is a female of any age, and she appears to need help; I will still stop. But I figure guys can help themselves. Of course, anyone driving a Yaris or Jeep is the exception, as they are "family"...

Cheers! M2

Altitude
01-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Actually I was joking. I wouldn't stop even if it was a great looking female. It would be a waste of my time.

A) I am happily married and not looking.

B) What would a great looking young female want with a bald, pot-bellied, middle aged man driving a Yaris instead instead of a Lexus.

In my early 20's I did things to pick up women that I am really not proud of today.

Thanks for clearing that up! :smile:

andruboz
01-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Donuts go flat just waiting in the trunk. I do 1-10 tire changes a week for a road side service company and the only donuts with 50+psi left in them are usually 09's and 08's. a few 07's. They are designed to be inflated to 60psi. From 06 and older they usually have between 25-45 lbs in them. Not really enough especially when folks don't follow the 50mph limit on the sidewall. I imagine they lose pressure from heat cycling every day. in texas the interior temps can be well over 130 degrees in the summer. and maybe losses from the valvestem.

if folks were smart they'd keep a cigarette lighter powered air compressor in the car with the other tire change tools. they are maybe $19 at Walmart?

I run around with a 3 ton jack, wheel chocks, a long breaker bar and a set of sockets, a torque wrench, the little compressor, and a full size spare as well as the donut. but I'm getting paid to be prepared.

the other thing that folks screw up on: not having the key for locking lugs in the car. or if the fancy new wheels take one kind of lugnut and the spare needs a regular factory lugnut. best to keep a set of the plain lugs with the spare.

yarisugi
01-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Was she flat up top?
How long can you drive on the Yaris spare?
I'm thinking like 1000 miles at least?

nemelek
02-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Donuts go flat just waiting in the trunk. I do 1-10 tire changes a week for a road side service company and the only donuts with 50+psi left in them are usually 09's and 08's. a few 07's. They are designed to be inflated to 60psi. From 06 and older they usually have between 25-45 lbs in them. Not really enough especially when folks don't follow the 50mph limit on the sidewall. I imagine they lose pressure from heat cycling every day. in texas the interior temps can be well over 130 degrees in the summer. and maybe losses from the valvestem.

Having a flat tire only to learn that the spare was flat also, I have learned to check the preasure on the spare when I rotate my tires. I also carry a back up can of fix a flat.

SilverBack
02-01-2009, 07:29 AM
Wow that's shady. I would've at least stopped and laughed at him

Treyz
02-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Being a represenative of the Micro Image community, I would have to stop for any Micro car .... even if it's a FIT, lol.

at3GG
02-01-2009, 02:35 PM
I was part of the Navy's Funeral Honor Guard for 8 months....We did the funeral of a young guy(sailor) who had stopped to help a stranger with a flat. Someone not paying attention drifted over the line and hit him, pinning him to the car of the stranger he was trying to help. Whether its a stranger or your uncle, pleaese be careful when stopping on the highway. Yaris, Fit or semi, it doesnt matter.

12345Michael54321
02-02-2009, 12:43 AM
I also carry a back up can of fix a flat.

I always used to carry a can of fix a flat in the trunk of my car. But my 2008 Yaris has that feature where if one of my tires is low on air, a dashboard idiot light comes on.

I've been led to believe that the electronic gizmo (hey, can I sling the technical lingo, or what?) which monitors the tire's pressure can get gunked up and damaged if I use fix a flat on the tire. Resulting in a moderately expensive repair/replacement bill.

Now, if I've been misinformed, and fix a flat won't cause any problems, please feel free to enlighten me. 'Cause while fix a flat has its shortcomings, it's a nice option to have, in the event of a flat tire.
--
Michael

33OH
02-02-2009, 04:17 PM
I used 4 cans of Fix-a-flat on a stock tire (okay okay, it had a nail in it and I was lazy.. it's fixed now :thumbsup:), and it didn't damage my sensor.

Used about a can per week for a month.

marcus
02-02-2009, 05:03 PM
i helped an old dude before flat tire on his 1975 chevy ..i think hes on his 70 maybe 80's but i dont think his good looking. ..took me 10 minutes to change the tire due to rust and everything else..