PDA

View Full Version : For those that hammer the throttle, whats your average lowest mpgs?

detroiter
01-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Just wondering what are some of the lowest numbers you have gotten while hammering the throttle quite often. On my 08 LB, I used 3 bars within 95 miles or so. The last 30 or so miles, I was hammering the throttle fullspeed up until 40mph multiple times. Just wondering what other people were getting for numbers since it seems that the Yaris loves to guzzle gas if your nailing the gas often.

dvlnblkdrs
01-30-2009, 11:46 PM
i think the lowest iv seen in the few tanks iv been recording.. like 28 mpgs is my lowest.. and that was a drive to san diego and back.. going pretty fast(wont say how fast to avoid being yelled at and the likes..)

detroiter
01-30-2009, 11:53 PM
I know that I was gunning it all out up to 40 mph from every light that I was stopped at, which is alot of them (Not drag racing or anything, just letting the throttle have it because I NEVER drive hard on the throttle, wanted to clear out the carbon). I want to say a few guys who autoX were saying sometimes they would dip into the teens with mpg's when they were gunning it all out. My car is an auto if that's any help.

SilverBack
01-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Had to fill the tank today after only 4 days because I was flooring it and shifting late (4-5K RPM) everywhere I went. Trip odo at fill-up shows 243.8 miles, which is about 22 MPG average. ..I'll be nicer to the Y from now on, ..maybe...

dvlnblkdrs
01-30-2009, 11:56 PM
hah.. teens on the yaris? wow.. thats pretty bad.. i gun it.. and still remain pretty high.. im not big into mpgs, just like to note what im makin on em to compare to everyone else.. heck, i was surprised when i got 32 mpg on my last one.. i gunned it good! hee hee, i like to show off in front of the men sometimes.. i may drive an automatic, but im still quick off the line :biggrin:

GeneW
01-31-2009, 07:15 PM
High twenties but only in my most "asshole" days combined with very cold weather. I think the worst ever was 28.1 mpg.

When I drive like a sane normal person I can get into low thirties. If I get like Brian I can get into the upper thirties or better.

Gene

dvlnblkdrs
01-31-2009, 09:18 PM
hah gene, ur funny..

i drive like an a-hole all the time.. but a very safe one! :biggrin:

Loren
01-31-2009, 09:24 PM
First tank was my worst for street mileage. 28 mpg, wringing out first and second gear at every opportunity.

I've seen as little as about 15 mpg running through 2 full tanks at Sebring. But, that's on a race track where you're full-throttle accelerating 90% of the time (and hard braking the other 10%). That's about as bad as it's going to get.

Tamago
01-31-2009, 09:31 PM
15mpg

Loren
01-31-2009, 09:44 PM
I used 3 bars within 95 miles or so. The last 30 or so miles
Looking at this a little closer...

You need to understand that your fuel guage can be a little misleading due to its lack of resolution. It's not like an analog gauge where you can see that you're at "almost 5/8" of a tank. The gauge will show 6/8 right up to the second that it flips to 5/8 and will hold 5/8 right up to the point that it flips to 4/8. 5 of 8 bars is a pretty broad range.

What this means is that "3 bars" can really be anywhere between "just a touch more than 1/4 tank" (2 bars) to "just a hair less than 1/2 tank" (4 bars).

So... figuring 1/8 of a tank at approximately 1.25 gallons (the gauge reads about 10 gallons)... "three bars" could really be anywhere between about 2.6 and 4.9 gallons.

95 miles / 2.6 gallons (a "short" 3 bars) = 36.5 mpg
95 miles / 4.9 gallons (a "long" 3 bars) = 19.4 mpg

So, really... "3 bars" on the Yaris tank doesn't narrow things down for you all that much. The only way to really check mileage is to do a fillup-to-fillup calculation or use a properly calibrated device like a ScanGauge.

eTiMaGo
01-31-2009, 10:02 PM
^ +1

27MPG here soon after getting the car and driving like, well, a young guy getting his very first car :burnrubber:

detroiter
02-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Thank you for the explenation Loren, how accurate is the Scanguage on the "Mpg" reading it gives off and how exactly does it know what the mpg's are?

ka0sx
02-01-2009, 03:01 AM
I race my yaris periodically and I still squeeze 32-35mpg doing roughly 70% city. I realy need to rotate my tires =/

ZING
02-01-2009, 09:36 AM
I once got 24MPG, but it was 100% city drive. Took me 50min for a 6mile drive on average.

Sorry for OT, but does anyone know if the dealership will have those scangauges?? to measure MPG/

Loren
02-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Scangauge is very accurate, but will usually need to be calibrated to your specific car (things like tire size and weight vary between cars). You run a tank of gas, check the mileage the old-fashioned way, and verify what the Scangauge says. Adjust the correction factor as necessary. Once you've got it set for your car, it's pretty darned accurate.

How does it work? It pulls data from the ECU. The ECU knows from the speed sensor how fast the car is traveling and for how long, thus it can calculate distance. (same way the electronic odometer works) And it knows how long it's opened each of the fuel injectors and what the fuel pressure is, so it knows what the fuel flow rate is at any given time. A little more fancy math and it can tell you what the MPG is at any time and calculate averages over time.

It's unlikely that a dealer will have a Scangauge. They have the official Toyota diagnostic tool... and it might give a lot of the same information.

ZING
02-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks Loren.

Black Yaris
02-01-2009, 11:40 AM
lowest MPG I got in the Yaris, after beating the hell out of it, running the AC and what not, was 28MPG

talnlnky
02-01-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't gun it often, about once a week... But, I am really surprised at the gas milage this car gets when cruzing at fast highway speeds.

Last summer I got 35mpg while driving 80-85mph.

GeneW
02-02-2009, 12:22 AM
hah gene, ur funny..

i drive like an a-hole all the time.. but a very safe one! :biggrin:

I define "asshole" as someone who goes into onramps to pass, who uses shoulders, who pushes people through passing zones to pass them on the right, and so on.

I've heard that So-Cal drivers hit the pedal all of the time, which means that you either are keeping up with the herd or getting smashed from behind (and the latter on the highway doesn't sound like fun at all).

Gene

dvlnblkdrs
02-02-2009, 12:32 AM
i make frequent lane changes to get around people who get in my way, i dont believe in using my blinkers unless there is police present, i have no problem riding someones ass if all lanes are being hogged at the same slow ass speed... i take my onramps at 60, loose offramps at like 60-70 and tight offramps at like 40...

many of these characteristics fit what most drivers characterize as asshole.. i dont use shoulders as there is too much debris there to pop my tires or cause other damage here.. and we dont have passing zones.. its a free for all... :biggrin:

yarswiss
02-02-2009, 01:47 AM
i make frequent lane changes to get around people who get in my way, i dont believe in using my blinkers unless there is police present, i have no problem riding someones ass if all lanes are being hogged at the same slow ass speed... i take my onramps at 60, loose offramps at like 60-70 and tight offramps at like 40...

many of these characteristics fit what most drivers characterize as asshole.. i dont use shoulders as there is too much debris there to pop my tires or cause other damage here.. and we dont have passing zones.. its a free for all... :biggrin:

So YOU'RE the one!

Just kidding, I'll weave in and out of others like mad if I'm truly in a hurry, but I'm obsessive about using my blinkers. We gotta communicate some way while we're in that race known as "the road".

Lowest I ever got while intentionally trying to get the worst mileage possible was 31.5 mpg. Throttle to the floor the whole time, and going at speeds that I must plead the 5th on.

dvlnblkdrs
02-02-2009, 01:54 AM
in some places like SD if u use ur blinker, people speed up and dont let you in. i found it safer to watch peoples wheels to see if they are planning to move.. half the time they swerve just before hitting their blinker as they are half into the lane already....

detroiter
02-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Does anyone get a certain smell when they hammer it out at high speeds, cough cough HIGH, speeds? Just curious is all. I do alot of stop and go and shutting my car off after short distances (delivering pizza two nights a week while finish school) and sometimes when I get on the freeway, I'll nail the gas hard all the way up to a certain HIGH speed and then I'll smell a strong exhaust odor. Not quite the leaky exhaust smell but more like a heavier odor. I'm just assuming it's all the carbon getting blown out from constant stop and go, being shut off and turned on a ton of times, etc from few days of delivering and then when I finally get it to the highway, letting it rip.

Any guesses from anyone?

smacky
02-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Speeding, tailgating and not using indicators is not being,as you put it, a very safe a-hole, it's simply being an a-hole.

Tamago
02-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Speeding, tailgating and not using indicators is not being,as you put it, a very safe a-hole, it's simply being an a-hole.

what's so hard about reaching over to that little lever and flipping it while you're changing lanes anyway?

and tailgating is by far the most retarded thing you could ever do on the highway. you're basically just ASKING to have an accident, not to mention being automatically at fault no matter what you tell the cop.

ChinoCharles
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
YW rule #74: if you have a turbo and he has a CleanMPG signature, don't even bother trying to argue. You won't see eye to eye on anything.

Lowest I can seem to get is a little over 30 MPG, although I'm becoming more and more of a conservative driver as I get older. I definitely don't tear it up like I did when I first got it.

Tamago
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
YW rule #74: if you have a turbo and he has a CleanMPG signature, don't even bother trying to argue. You won't see eye to eye on anything.

Lowest I can seem to get is a little over 30 MPG, although I'm becoming more and more of a conservative driver as I get older. I definitely don't tear it up like I did when I first got it.

i wasn't arguing with him, i was agreeing with him :)

eTiMaGo
02-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Does anyone get a certain smell when they hammer it out at high speeds, cough cough HIGH, speeds? Just curious is all. I do alot of stop and go and shutting my car off after short distances (delivering pizza two nights a week while finish school) and sometimes when I get on the freeway, I'll nail the gas hard all the way up to a certain HIGH speed and then I'll smell a strong exhaust odor. Not quite the leaky exhaust smell but more like a heavier odor. I'm just assuming it's all the carbon getting blown out from constant stop and go, being shut off and turned on a ton of times, etc from few days of delivering and then when I finally get it to the highway, letting it rip.

Any guesses from anyone?

There's a TSB to fix that, some issue with the catalytic converter :smile:

dvlnblkdrs
02-02-2009, 04:10 PM
i maintain enough of a distance that i can stop.. i know about accidents, i take accident reports for an insurance company as my job, so dont get me started on that... i just make it apparent that they need to locate the gas pedal..

how are blinkers any safer than than not using them? i dont cut people off, i make safe lane changes without blinkers.. i wont changed lanes until i can see at least their tires in my sideview mirror.. which means they are quite a bit away. i get cut off by people with blinkers.. they just put it on and move in as if they are pushing you out of the way in the crowd. like i said before, i watch people to see if they are going to move, i see a lot that others dont. i spend most of my drive looking at all the accident possibilities.. like "if i were to slide off this bridge right now or slam into that pole, would i survive" and start labelling peoples fault in accidents there were almost in.

BLAZINBLUEVITZ
02-02-2009, 06:27 PM
and tailgating is by far the most retarded thing you could ever do on the highway. you're basically just ASKING to have an accident, not to mention being automatically at fault no matter what you tell the cop. especially if your yaris has no ABS....

There's a TSB to fix that, some issue with the catalytic converter :smile:
only for 2007 models....

Loren
02-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Turn signals are a courtesy. Not using them DOES make you an asshole. Sorry.

Example of how not using turn signals is unsafe:

You're in the left of three lanes going your direction. You want to get into the center lane in front of a large vehicle. Someone else is in the right lane and wants to get into the same space. Both of you make the move quite rapidly and without using turn signals. Both of you are focused on your mirrors to be sure you're clear of the large vehicle in the center lane. See where this is going? Been there before?

Sure, you can't completely avoid that situation, it's going to happen from time to time. But, don't you think that a bright flashing turn signal might help you to notice that other vehicle a little sooner? Or that YOUR bright flashing turn signal might help THEM to notice YOU a little sooner?

dvlnblkdrs
02-02-2009, 10:40 PM
if both vehicles are at the exact same point and they are, as you say so focused on their mirrors to make sure they clear it.. how are they to see this blinker when it is ont he front and rear of your vehicle.. i dont gaze into my mirror like that totally sounded.. i check my mirrors, begin my move, check again, poof im in.. im scanning as im moving really.. check all mirrors and on the road, making sure all is clear the entire time.. i have never encountered the incident you are describing because of this..

but we are getting off topic.. hardcore..

TheRealEnth
02-02-2009, 11:09 PM
no ABS FTW

Loren
02-02-2009, 11:17 PM
i check my mirrors, begin my move, check again, poof im in.. im scanning as im moving really.. check all mirrors and on the road, making sure all is clear the entire time.. i have never encountered the incident you are describing because of this..

but we are getting off topic.. hardcore..
Okay, you've accounted for yourself... but what about the OTHER idiot? What if he's not as alert and aware as you are? You still don't see how using your turn signal might help? If not, forget it.

Yes we're way off-topic.

detroiter
02-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Nice way to hijack my thread...

just joking..but really, please by all means talk about what you have to, I don't mind. This isn't just about "me". This is a forum, it's based on opinionated discussions regardless of the "topic" that's at hand.

Just my two cents, that's my biggest thing I can't stand the most is people that just cruise around and cut lanes with no signals. It makes me so upset because it's SO EASY just to touch the damn thing and let someone know "hey buddy I'm coming over, get ready for me!" instead of just wizzing the hell around and endangering lives. Contrary to popular belief, a turn signal does infact save lives.

It's almost as bad as the motherfathers who drive around without working brake lights. Now THAT is grounds for being upset at someone.

dvlnblkdrs
02-02-2009, 11:41 PM
loren, im not that dense to continuing entering the lane.. if someone else wants it, i will give it to them. im a very curteous driver... if i see someone(not driving a luxury veh.. lol yea ass move again.. lol) who is looking to get over, into my lane.. even if i have to drop 20 mph, i will let them in. the only road rage i really get is for some of the people you guys are mentioning, cutting people off. there is no reason to cut someone off.. i make my lane changes with a good distance between me and the next vehicle.. it just makes sense.... idk, i guess you just have to drive in the car with me to understand...

Loren
02-03-2009, 12:24 AM
I understand. I see people like you all the time. You're not necessarily driving in an unsafe manner, you just think you're too good to use a turn signal. I don't understand why, though.

When I see people who make lane changes without signaling, I see them as an unpredictable threat. You never know what they're going to do or when.

dvlnblkdrs
02-03-2009, 12:30 AM
half the time people here think putting their blinker on entitles them to move in.. that is not the case.. they r half into the lane when they finally put it on. that is unsafe, but they are using their blinkers...

its that that "i think im too good to use a blinker" i just dont see reason for it unless i am stuck, and i mean completely stuck in heavy traffic.. if the traffic is light-medium, theres no reason for it...

yarswiss
02-03-2009, 02:33 AM
Lets just here from Mr. Clive Owen on why to use indicators and be done with it, eh? :tongue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhsjit5xJks&feature=related
(strong language)

dvlnblkdrs
02-03-2009, 03:22 AM
hah good one!

blktiger60
02-03-2009, 05:39 PM
I always use signals.
Sometimes I tailgate too. I can gaurantee you if you are in the far left lane not passing anyone - I will tailgate your slow ass. Get the F$%# out of the passing lane if you aren't actively passing someone.
The sign reads "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS". And if you're really a being a dick blocking the lane on purpose expect me to cut your silly ass off when I do get the chance to pass you on the right.
Just be glad I don't own a firearm.

Tamago
02-03-2009, 05:53 PM
I always use signals.
Sometimes I tailgate too. I can gaurantee you if you are in the far left lane not passing anyone - I will tailgate your slow ass. Get the F$%# out of the passing lane if you aren't actively passing someone.
The sign reads "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS". And if you're really a being a dick blocking the lane on purpose expect me to cut your silly ass off when I do get the chance to pass you on the right.
Just be glad I don't own a firearm.

waiting for your "i totalled my Yaris on I-90 because i was being an asshole" post in 3 months..

why?
02-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Wow, I couldn't imagine getting under 30 MPG. I've had tanks where I go 80 on the highway, and still had good gas mileage. Of course the way I drive tends to allow that DFCO thing to work its magic as well.

I can drive crazy as well, grew up in the northeast, learned to drive in NEW Bedford, lol. Drove the insane Boston roads enough. Driving down south is so nice compared to that crap, most of these people will let you get in front of them.

IllusionX
02-04-2009, 10:46 AM
my lowest since jan 2009 is 28.8mpg so far. But i've done 26mpg in the previous year.

TLyttle
02-04-2009, 12:29 PM
It seems to me that the highways are now too busy to be playing the "I'm in more of a hurry than you" game. I have a lot of fun on backroads, but once I am on a busy highway, I see driving as a cooperative enterprise: we all want to get to where we are going, and in one piece. I see these dingbats zipping in and out of traffic (turn signals or not), following inches away from the "slow" car ahead, and wonder what the rush is all about. After 20 miles of this, I see them pull in to a parking lot, only seconds ahead of me. Then they leisurely get out of the car and saunter into the coffee shop, hardware store, boutique, or some other such establishment. Even if they were late for work, now they are 10 seconds earlier! Big whoop. Meanwhile they have harassed, annoyed, and endangered a large number of people, one of which may have a firearm and an attitude, like blktiger. Now, that's really worth it, ain't it?

smacky
02-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Even if they were late for work, now they are 10 seconds earlier! Big whoop. Meanwhile they have harassed, annoyed, and endangered a large number of people, one of which may have a firearm and an attitude, like blktiger. Now, that's really worth it, ain't it?

Wel said. There are lots of reasons to slow down and drive responsibly, the only reason to drive fast is to get there first, and usually not by much.

Loren
02-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Ah, enlightenment. Once you realize that you can't really win the "rat race" on our highways, commuting becomes a lot less stressful, doesn't it?

at3GG
02-04-2009, 04:34 PM
no reason to use a turn signal....ha......i tailgate and cut people off all the time...ha.......thats ok, go ahead, but you forfit any and all rights to be pissed off or upset WHEN you get into the accident. FYI most people will drive slower if you tailgate them, i know i do, just because i know it will piss them off. If im doing 65 in a 55 already YOU can wait to go around ME. If any of you get into an accident(god forbid of course) and try to complain on here i hope the Mod's delete the thread. End rant.

dvlnblkdrs
02-04-2009, 05:02 PM
the only time i really "tailgate" is when all lanes are being hogged by vehicles driving the same rate of speed at the same time.. like a line of cars.. this isnt an effing parade, its a road, now move! and like i said, i do maintain a safe distance, just make it apparent that someone needs to speed up...

Tamago
02-04-2009, 06:06 PM
the only time i really "tailgate" is when all lanes are being hogged by vehicles driving the same rate of speed at the same time.. like a line of cars.. this isnt an effing parade, its a road, now move! and like i said, i do maintain a safe distance, just make it apparent that someone needs to speed up...

you do that shit to me and i'll brake check you..

and i'll win.. you'll be buying me a new bumper and taillights.

just saying... stupidity goes both ways :)

detroiter
02-04-2009, 06:22 PM
I didn't know it's possible to use "tailgating" and "maintain safe distance" together.

at3GG
02-04-2009, 06:35 PM
I didn't know it's possible to use "tailgating" and "maintain safe distance" together.

exactly

dvlnblkdrs
02-04-2009, 08:22 PM
i know how far i need to stop. i just make it obvious that someone needs to do something.. whether its speed up, slow down or make a ln change.. just do something, cant hog all the lanes.. like i said.. its no damn parade!

usually i hang pretty far back off people, just cuz i can.. but if someone is doing something like iv mentioned, i will get closer to the point of obvious.. but not to the point that i may hit them if they make a sudden stop. iv brake checked people myself, i know better....

Tamago
02-04-2009, 08:30 PM
i know how far i need to stop. i just make it obvious that someone needs to do something.. whether its speed up, slow down or make a ln change.. just do something, cant hog all the lanes.. like i said.. its no damn parade!

usually i hang pretty far back off people, just cuz i can.. but if someone is doing something like iv mentioned, i will get closer to the point of obvious.. but not to the point that i may hit them if they make a sudden stop. iv brake checked people myself, i know better....

BACK PEDAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha j/k

but srsly, tailgating generally doesn't work on moving stupid people out of the way, so why do it?

dvlnblkdrs
02-04-2009, 08:33 PM
makes me happy?

Tamago
02-04-2009, 08:34 PM
makes me happy?

so does sex... but would you want to get rear ended doing that? :laugh:

dvlnblkdrs
02-04-2009, 08:36 PM
is that a trick question? :wink:

TheRealEnth
02-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Lmao nice.

TLyttle
02-04-2009, 09:24 PM
A long time ago, a buddy told me about "problem identification": who has the problem? The guy doing near the speed limit, chatting with his passenger, while you are on his butt, fuming and storming.

Who has the problem? He is happy, getting to where he wants to go, not creating any real hazard to anyone, ......... except you. He has no problem.

Meanwhile, as mentioned, you are fuming and storming, shortening your life, increasing your need for antacids, and giving rise to horrible thoughts about killing the guy. Clearly, you have the problem!

If you pulled over, stopped, then took off again, it isn't likely that you would catch him again, even if you tried. I know this lesson will be lost on dvn, but it may be of value to others here. Who has the problem?????? Ask yourself that question the next time you are considering homicide.

dvlnblkdrs
02-04-2009, 11:09 PM
hah, i completely understand it, so its not lost on me.. i dont flip out er anything.. i just wait til i can get around.. i donk honk, yea i yell and flip the bird.. im from the east coast.. i do that.. lol but i dont really get past that.. i yell for a sec, then get back to my song..

TLyttle
02-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Next time you flip the bird at an old bugger, and he replies with a big, loving smooch, it won't be me, but someone who thinks like me...

gep
02-05-2009, 09:35 PM
'09 sedan with manual tranny. I have an 80 mile round trip commute daily and I race it. I still get 38-40 mpg! Lovin' the Yaris!

dvlnblkdrs
02-05-2009, 09:54 PM
heh i dont flip the bird in peoples faces.. usually im kind enough to keep it out of sight.. just to get it out of my system.. unless they flip me off first..

TLyttle
02-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Better yet! If they flip you off first, resort to the big smoochy kiss; the reactions are incredible!

why?
02-07-2009, 09:57 AM
you do that shit to me and i'll brake check you..

and i'll win.. you'll be buying me a new bumper and taillights.

just saying... stupidity goes both ways :)

Sorry, but you'd actually lose. Unless you can prove that you absolutely had to hit the brakes at that exact point on a highway, any competent judge would realize you were just being an asshole.

I've brake checked plenty of people, including motorcycles, which is always awesome, but don't delude yourself into thinking you'd get away with it if you cause an accident.

Tamago
02-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Sorry, but you'd actually lose. Unless you can prove that you absolutely had to hit the brakes at that exact point on a highway, any competent judge would realize you were just being an asshole.

I've brake checked plenty of people, including motorcycles, which is always awesome, but don't delude yourself into thinking you'd get away with it if you cause an accident.

animal darted out in front of me...

either way the rear-ender would STILL get a "following too closely" ticket regardless.