PDA

View Full Version : How often should i change my oil?

Twistoffate0817
01-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Im confused on how often you should change your oil.

Is it every 6 months, OR 5000. which ever comes first, or is it when u reach 5k miles?

No one has ever explained that concept to me..

cuz what if i dont reach 5k miles for like a year and a half..does that mean i dont change my oil for a year and a half?

Tamago
01-31-2009, 07:29 PM
it's in the owners manual

toyota recommends whichever comes first

i recommend every 3000 miles, depending on the type of driving you do, and the environment you drive in (dusty, salt on the road, humid, etc)

Twistoffate0817
01-31-2009, 07:36 PM
it's in the owners manual

toyota recommends whichever comes first

i recommend every 3000 miles, depending on the type of driving you do, and the environment you drive in (dusty, salt on the road, humid, etc)

so, i wait until i hit 3000 miles. because i have like 1000 on it now, but the 5/6 months is basically up soon and i was just wondering.

Correct?

Tamago
01-31-2009, 07:37 PM
if you have 1000 on it now, i say change it.. that first 1000 is some pretty messed up oil
then go to 3000mile intervals or every 3 months, whichever comes first

Twistoffate0817
01-31-2009, 07:44 PM
if you have 1000 on it now, i say change it.. that first 1000 is some pretty messed up oil

now, should i take it to toyota where i bought the car to get the oil changed?

and do i have to ask for special oil, and what is the best oil for it?

Tamago
01-31-2009, 08:03 PM
now, should i take it to toyota where i bought the car to get the oil changed?

and do i have to ask for special oil, and what is the best oil for it?

dude, do some searches on yarisworld

there are MORE oil threads than any other thread on yarisworld.. everyone has an opinion on oil, and i don't want to get started on it because no matter what i recommend, someone will tell me i'm wrong (even though i've run the same oil on all my toyotas with no issues)

before the turbo i ran valvoline 5w30 just plain old oil. i buy toyota filters from www.partznet.com by the box of 10, saves money.. and i change my own oil

if you take your car to toyota for an oil change they're gonna put recycled oil in it, trust me on this.

Tamago
02-01-2009, 01:03 AM
I actually have wondered about recycled oil. I know they filter it etc., but what about the additives? Wouldn't they all be broken down by the time it goes back around into another car?

recycled...

they put crap back in it, they don't just filter it and put it back in your car :wink:

but it's all crap.. all oil change places do this, and that's why they should be avoided

Tamago
02-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Yikes lol...I need to learn how to change my Yaris oil myself.

it's easy

do a search for oil change diy

pretty sure it's been covered on this forum before :biggrin:

SilverBack
02-01-2009, 02:16 AM
I go by every 4,500 miles, sometimes 5,000 if I can't get to it right away. I refuse to go to the dealer and pay out the ass for a simple change. Still not sure about the recycled oil story

ka0sx
02-01-2009, 02:59 AM

with most motors this is true and i would recommend a change at 500 but lately a lot of companies pre-run the engines for the initial wear and tear then flush and refill the system before it is put in the car. Toyota does do this with the yaris motors, but if you want to be on the safe side, do an oil change early on.
I know oils have been better detergents in them now but I don't believe in the whole 5k mile oilchanges. I don't see how suddenly recommendations jump from 3 to 5k. I have seen tests where engines are ran for 100k miles on a single oil with the exception that they only changed the filter every 3k and added as needed, the engine showed no difference in wear and tear from one that had the oil completely flushed. Once again though, I wouldn't rely on that information either.

I personaly change every 4k with full synthetic.