PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Stretch?

RacerFreakXXX
02-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Any of you guys stretch your tires? I'm probally gonna get some super wide wheels and stretch my tires but i want to see if anyone has done it on the yaris yet. So has anyone stretched?

this is what I mean:

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/AntonioAlvendia/Japan/Used%20Parts/IMG_6525%20copy.jpg

kou
02-04-2009, 01:56 AM
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12983

RacerFreakXXX
02-04-2009, 02:03 AM
nice... I'm going for this look:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4-xNXQYB4JE/SKWgg50gh_I/AAAAAAAAAPk/QvZHiLsEwNg/s400/hellaflush.jpg

But I don't think I'm gonna drop the ass that low

ka0sx
02-04-2009, 02:06 AM
nice... I'm going for this look:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4-xNXQYB4JE/SKWgg50gh_I/AAAAAAAAAPk/QvZHiLsEwNg/s400/hellaflush.jpg

But I don't think I'm gonna drop the ass that low

tough to look that good without the porsche rims =P

PETERPOOP
02-04-2009, 03:51 AM
that picture in the first post is just plain stupid and fugly. sorry. get the sport max rims with the deep lip. that'll be better for the vip look or whatever you're going for.

SailDesign
02-04-2009, 08:36 AM
that picture in the first post is just plain stupid and fugly. sorry. get the sport max rims with the deep lip. that'll be better for the vip look or whatever you're going for.

I wouldn't go quite THAT far, but I had a good laugh at the "SpeedHunters" tag at the bottom of the pic. Any good corner on those and the bead's gonna pop right off. :smile:

Tamago
02-04-2009, 08:40 AM
you'll have to change your username from RacerFreak to say... WreckerFreak, driving around on your sidewalls ;)

kimona
02-04-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't get it.

Tamago
02-04-2009, 09:03 AM
I don't get it.

the OP or my comment ;)

my comment was aimed toward the loss of lateral stability due to stretching tires

kimona
02-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Sorry, Tamago. I just don't get the appeal of stretched tires... not to mention poor handling characteristics and safety issues. Certainly not something I would recommend on a daily driver.

Tamago
02-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Sorry, Tamago. I just don't get the appeal of stretched tires... not to mention poor handling characteristics and safety issues. Certainly not something I would recommend on a daily driver.

nor do it..

SailDesign
02-04-2009, 09:55 AM
you'll have to change your username from RacerFreak to say... WreckerFreak, driving around on your sidewalls ;)

I thought that, but wasn't going to mention it as I reckoned it was a bit harsh. trying to be nicer these days..... :thumbsup:

RHDVIPbB
02-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Had a very mild stretch on my xB, but I also had airride. I did a mild stretch on my project car, but it was slammed all the time and the rims fit flush.

Will do it to my Yaris down the road when I get the right suspension and wheels that I want.

eTiMaGo
02-04-2009, 10:34 AM
for a show car, sure... for daily driving, it's asking for more trouble than it's worth... A sliight stretch is OK (mine are)... and if you curb your wheels, well, you have zero rubber to protect the rim!

But, in the end, it's your car, your decision, your possible future regret. I know I badly wanted 18" wheels when I first got the car, and now I'm desperate to get some 16" or even 15" :laugh:

Nagoya_TRD.
02-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Nothing wrong with stretching. Each application is different for sure (car), and what it is used for. Most cars are not racing on the street, and depending on engine power there is only so wide of a tire a car can use. Stretching is a good balance of running a flush aggressive wheel without running too wide of a tire.

Regardless, there are no real instances of beads popping off, or stretched tires being "unsafe". Maybe "not recommended", not "unsafe".

EDIT: I have a friend who has 225s stretched on 17 x 9 + 20 BBS RSs on an R32 GT-R Daily driven in southern california with no problems. It looks great.

I will see if i can get him to post on here to explain more.

mr_choung
02-04-2009, 05:13 PM
i kinda don't like the idea if it's a daily but for show it's all good. JUST hope not to hit a CURB

ChinG

ddongbap
02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Drifters have been doing it since for ever.

Tamago
02-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Drifters have been doing it since for ever.

i rest my case

Thirty-Nine
02-04-2009, 06:15 PM
One of the original reasons for stretching tires came from Europe where laws stated that a certain amount of the tire had to be under the fender. Car enthusiasts who wanted to run a wider wheel, but still meet the governments compliance, started to put smaller width tires on wider wheels, so that the majority of the tread was still under the fender. At least that's the story as I understand it.

A primer on stretching tires:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2234638

Tamago
02-04-2009, 06:16 PM
EDIT: I have a friend who has 225s stretched on 17 x 9 + 20 BBS RSs on an R32 GT-R Daily driven in southern california with no problems. It looks great.

I will see if i can get him to post on here to explain more.

so basically, from a dig race, i have the advantage because i have more rubber on the road :laugh::laugh:

marcus
02-04-2009, 06:38 PM
on a stretch tires what happen when you get a flat tire...wouldnt that damage the rims right away.??

Nagoya_TRD.
02-04-2009, 06:53 PM
so basically, from a dig race, i have the advantage because i have more rubber on the road :laugh::laugh:

I think the actual compound of the tire, driver, engine power and 2wd vs 4wd factor might all make a difference but yeah you might have the advantage.

Tamago
02-04-2009, 07:21 PM
I think the actual compound of the tire, driver, engine power and 2wd vs 4wd factor might all make a difference but yeah you might have the advantage.

245 A032R yokohama R comps?

Nagoya_TRD.
02-04-2009, 08:27 PM
You might be able to take it off the line. His car has only street tires on those wheels. He has a different set for "racing/track". But it does have 4wd and 310~ horsepower (it's pretty stock)

It was just a hypothetical scenario as it's not my car and such (bench racing is somewhat pointless). But for a street car, it does not really matter IMHO (i think looks are more important).

Tamago
02-04-2009, 08:33 PM
But for a street car, it does not really matter IMHO (i think looks are more important).

it is nice though, to take an off ramp and not slide off into the bushes while being passed by a stock toyota yaris though i'd imagine ;)

*DISCLAIMER!! I DO NOT OWN A STOCK TOYOTA YARIS, OR FOR THAT OTHER PERSON, A HONDA FIT*

R32 Love BTW

SailDesign
02-04-2009, 09:15 PM
A primer on stretching tires:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2234638

I love the line from that link:
"- its all about looks, you wont see anyone with low offset deep dish wheels flopping around the autox course.
"
It sums it all up - looks over practicality. Not my cup of tea, but it is nice to see it written down unashamedly.

TLyttle
02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
There is a bell curve on any mods like this, ie, at some point the idea works well; wide tires on narrow rims don't work well, and vice versa. A moderate stretch has some advantage, but overdone becomes a liability.

Speaking of which, if you do roll a tire off because of too much stretch (I HAVE seen it happen), who do you talk to? The cops, the insurance guys, and any victims may not want to hear your reasons...

RacerFreakXXX
02-04-2009, 10:56 PM
lol... see I didn't think any of you guys really did. Yes the only people I know doing it are people who own VW or Nissans or drifters. I don't know if I'm gonna go crazy with the stretch but i'm deff gonna go stretch.

SailDesign
02-05-2009, 09:13 AM
lol... see I didn't think any of you guys really did. Yes the only people I know doing it are people who own VW or Nissans or drifters. I don't know if I'm gonna go crazy with the stretch but i'm deff gonna go stretch.

We'll need pics, y'know. :smile:

Saggio
03-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Lets us know and see what you do. When are you doing it?

360cubes
03-10-2009, 03:18 PM
I'd rather run super low profile tires, add some offset and trim some plastic if I wanted width THAT badly. This thread brings back last years memory of the GM Pontiac Bonneville GXP which had lower profile AND wider tires on the front than on the back since it was FWD. Crazy ppl.