PDA

View Full Version : Do you HAVE to remove the wheels to install strut bar?

Yawesh
02-09-2009, 07:58 PM
so i got my Gtspec strut bar, and from reading other strut bar installations, many remove the front wheels

when i had a nissan sentra - i didn't need to remove my wheels to install strut bar. just plopped it in

my question is why do u need to remove it? some kind of technical thing? and do you have to

thanks!

mikenacarato
02-09-2009, 08:01 PM
different car, different bar. i have not dont this yet but will in the next few days. i am waiting on the bar to arrive. from the looks of it you have to reach up there and feed a bolt through the wheel well and thread a bolt onto it too. it would be easier to remove the wheel from what it seems

supmet
02-09-2009, 08:09 PM
why wouldn't you? You have to jack up the car(I'm pretty sure anyway) so its 8 lug nuts and you're done. I imagine they change the load on the suspension slightly having them off.

If the instructions say to take them off, I'd take them off.

Yawesh
02-09-2009, 08:20 PM
why wouldn't you? You have to jack up the car(I'm pretty sure anyway) so its 8 lug nuts and you're done. I imagine they change the load on the suspension slightly having them off.

If the instructions say to take them off, I'd take them off.

danks, but mine didn't include installations(gtspec being cheap on paper?)

coheed
02-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Is it a strut bar, or a sway bar? Strut goes on top of the struts in the engine bay, sway bars go under the car. If its a sway bar, yea probably. If its a strut bar, hell no.

Yawesh
02-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Is it a strut bar, or a sway bar? Strut goes on top of the struts in the engine bay, sway bars go under the car. If its a sway bar, yea probably. If its a strut bar, hell no.

it's the strut bar. thanks, i'm gonna install it tomorrow without taking wheels off.

Saggio
02-10-2009, 12:41 AM
You dont need to take the wheels off to install a strut bar...

If anyone is asking this question, you need to take your car to a shop for ALL your installs!

MUSKOKA800
02-10-2009, 12:58 PM
General consences is that one should un-load the suspension during strut bar installation.
This allows the bar to be adjusted to fit the uni-body's natural position.

mr_choung
02-10-2009, 01:50 PM
^exactly. basically all you do is.....

-open your hood
-find nuts of top hats
-take off nuts
-put strut bar on
-nuts back
-close hood
-test drive

fyi, strut bars do minimal performance compared to sway bars

ChinG

BLAZINBLUEVITZ
02-10-2009, 02:35 PM
You dont need to take the wheels off to install a strut bar...
!
during my BEATRUSH strut bar install i took off my wheels(also did nst crank pulley at same time) but my hardware required me to go under splash shiield in wheel wells for fitment...
http://www.kamispeed.com/images/ybfsbb.jpg