PDA

View Full Version : Mod for smooth ride?

helphelp911
02-13-2009, 05:36 AM
Any mod can smooth the ride?

thanks

ddongbap
02-13-2009, 05:44 AM
Add extra weight.

supmet
02-13-2009, 03:46 PM
aside from slightly wider tires and upgrading your suspension, the TRD sway bar makes the car feel much more responsive and roll less on turns. My yaris also feels more stable on the freeway.

Loren
02-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Any mod can smooth the ride?

Need more input.

New Yaris? Old Yaris? How many miles? Might just need new shocks.

What sort of "not smoothness" is bothering you? Bumps? Railroad tracks? Washboard roads?

What tires do you have on the car (size, model and brand) and what pressure do you have them inflated to?

helphelp911
02-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Need more input.

New Yaris? Old Yaris? How many miles? Might just need new shocks.

What sort of "not smoothness" is bothering you? Bumps? Railroad tracks? Washboard roads?

What tires do you have on the car (size, model and brand) and what pressure do you have them inflated to?

I have 07 42000km base 14" stock yaris. Tires is 35psi. i have it for few weeks. No mod yet.

i used to drive bigger car, x5. When i switch to yaris, i keep feeling my body keep pushing around, shaking. i considered the rear sway bar before but i heard ppl said it actually made the ride more rough. i only want to make the ride more stable.

Thanks for the input.

supmet
02-13-2009, 10:58 PM
I have 07 42000km base 14" stock yaris. Tires is 35psi. i have it for few weeks. No mod yet.

i used to drive bigger car, x5. When i switch to yaris, i keep feeling my body keep pushing around, shaking. i considered the rear sway bar before but i heard ppl said it actually made the ride more rough. i only want to make the ride more stable.

Thanks for the input.

I wouldn't call the ride more rough at all, perhaps more sporty. It keeps the back tires on the ground a little more, so you do feel the road a little bit more, but I think it is more than worth it to keep the body from rolling every which way.

"When i switch to yaris, i keep feeling my body keep pushing around"

^^ That is EXACTLY what the rear sway bar prevents.

helphelp911
02-13-2009, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't call the ride more rough at all, perhaps more sporty. It keeps the back tires on the ground a little more, so you do feel the road a little bit more, but I think it is more than worth it to keep the body from rolling every which way.

"When i switch to yaris, i keep feeling my body keep pushing around"

^^ That is EXACTLY what the rear sway bar prevents.

Thanks, i will go for sway bar then.

Loren
02-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Yeah. You need to properly describe the problem to get the correct answer. If the ride is rough (which... compared to something like a big Lexus, it is), there really isn't much you can do about it besides fit tires that have softer sidewalls to absorb more road imperfections and make the ride smoother.

If you're feeling too much body sway, like from cross-winds and such, then the rear swaybar will definitely help. But, that's not adding "smoothness", that's adding "stability".

Upgrading to more performance-oriented 15" tires (or even better 14" tires to a lesser degree) will also help with stability.

You might try raising your tire pressures a bit. 35-38 is about right, but some people run 40-45. That will improve steering response and eliminate most of the "give" in the tire. Will definitely make the ride LESS smooth (the tires will transmit every little bump in the road), but somewhat more stable.