PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Spring Install

chief broom
02-13-2009, 01:39 PM
I have been looking for the cheapest place in the St. Louis area to get lowering springs installed, and so far haven't found anything I would call cheap. Does anyone in the area have any suggestions? Thanks

turboyaris
02-13-2009, 02:14 PM
do it yourself!!! all the cool kids are doing it, there is a write-up on here telling you what to do, rent the tool from autozone and you are good to go, cost is free

Tamago
02-13-2009, 02:16 PM
do it yourself!!! all the cool kids are doing it, there is a write-up on here telling you what to do, rent the tool from autozone and you are good to go, cost is free

what tool do you speak of?

spring compressor?

it's not needed

Thirty-Nine
02-13-2009, 02:28 PM
I used a spring compressor on the fronts, although like Tamago said, it's not really needed. If you want a bit of extra safety you can use it. They're usually free to rent at Autozone/Shucks/Kragen/Checker ($50 refundable deposit).

On my xB, the fronts literally did not need a compressor. My Yaris front struts were under a bit more pressure, though.

chief broom
02-13-2009, 09:40 PM
I would love to do it myself, but my apartment does not allow automotive work to take place in the parking lots... and I have no mechanical skills

pst4life
02-13-2009, 10:25 PM
that sucks buy the spring and go to a shop and see if they can do it for u or just go to a friends house and do it there

texkid
02-14-2009, 12:30 AM
I understand your apartment issue. But you don't have a friend that is a gearhead? All guys know at least one person that knows something about cars. I am NOT mechanically inclined, I am just a cheap bastard, thats why I work on my own car. Nonetheless, changes the springs are almost the easiest thing you can do next to changing the motor oil.

The best way to describe, its almost like changing a hard drive, you have to move certain parts out of the way to change one piece and then put everything back together.

ddongbap
02-14-2009, 02:34 AM
I understand your apartment issue. But you don't have a friend that is a gearhead? All guys know at least one person that knows something about cars. I am NOT mechanically inclined, I am just a cheap bastard, thats why I work on my own car. Nonetheless, changes the springs are almost the easiest thing you can do next to changing the motor oil.

The best way to describe, its almost like changing a hard drive, you have to move certain parts out of the way to change one piece and then put everything back together.

Except the pieces are like, 63x larger.

texkid
02-14-2009, 05:12 AM
Except the pieces are like, 63x larger.

Lets not split hairs here. :biggrin: :tongue:

Tamago
02-14-2009, 10:12 AM
i never thought i'd see a harddrive and suspension compared to each other. . i've officially reached the end of the internet...

pst4life
02-14-2009, 05:11 PM
wow really 63x larger then u must be weak if u can pick up a box with springs in it

texkid
02-14-2009, 10:50 PM
i never thought i'd see a harddrive and suspension compared to each other. . i've officially reached the end of the internet...

LMAO! I like using analogies no matter how weird it may sound. :redface: