PDA

View Full Version : megan lowering springs- brief review.

jonismyname
02-16-2009, 09:58 PM
installed today. drop is rated at 1.5", appears actual. nice springs, standard in front, progressive in rear. (car is hatchback)

first impression was the springs felt smoother than stock. this was on a crappy back road with lots of pits, dives, heaves, sand, ice, and other terrible things, around 40ish mph.

once i got about 50 i quickly realized that these springs really are stiffer, and the car will jump around a bit more, a lot more feedback from the road, but not an obscene amount, still quite comfortable. but i do notice being pushed around in every which direction.

merging onto a highway, and throwing it into corners displayed a much flatter stance in corners, even without a rear sway bar. car changes lanes with attitude. very big difference.

drove about 3 miles with a fat guy in the back seat, and two big guys in the front. no rubbing. slowed the car down though. felt like i was driving my geo metro again.

i have no experience with any other lowering springs, but i can say, for the $$, the megan ones are great.

for anyone considering lowering springs, that live in an environment similar to mine (upstate NY, rural...) the noise from salt, sand, snow, and everything else covering our roads is about 3 times louder now that the car is sitting closer to the ground. a case of rubberized undercoat with dampen it a bit come spring, but it is something else to consider.

i looked for info on these springs before i purchased, and found none, so now, there's a write up. all be it brief.

jinxor
02-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Nice writeup mate... :thumbsup:

eii
02-17-2009, 01:48 PM
I have them on my sedan as well. I think I did a write up on them pre-hack. The ride to me felt the same as stock. It only was rough over 80 mph, but thats the same as the stock springs. I noticed a slight increase in handling, but even after getting wider wheels I am still not satisfied with its handling. I can definitely tell this is where a sway bar comes in, hopefully my next mod.

Btw did you cut your bumpstops?

jonismyname
02-17-2009, 05:31 PM
i left bump stops stock, called megan racing before i put them back together.

the car is def stiffer to me, i feel slight accelerations in every which direction while driving, the road pushing me and the car around in different directions. to describe it to people, i say, go-kart like.

a rear swaybar would def set the whole thing off, but i feel i need it much less now.

Pitt Yaris
04-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Good review, how do these compare to nf, df, progress when it comes to drop? Do you have any pics? I wish there was just one or two brands of springs or a huge majority for one spring, instead of 4-5+ options. I've been going back and forth for months on which springs to get and still can't make up my mind. *Sedan, crappy winters, crappy roads*

cali yaris
04-30-2009, 08:48 PM
definitely post some pics! any idea what the spring rate is at least in front?

eii
05-01-2009, 03:36 AM
I've never been in another yaris with aftermarket springs, the megan ones are the only ones I've had on my car. People have tried to figure out what the spring rates on these springs are, but no one has been able to find out what they are. Might have to do with why they're so cheap. They make my car look hella good though :wink:

Pitt Yaris
05-01-2009, 04:35 AM
I've never been in another yaris with aftermarket springs, the megan ones are the only ones I've had on my car. People have tried to figure out what the spring rates on these springs are, but no one has been able to find out what they are. Might have to do with why they're so cheap. They make my car look hella good though :wink:

Pics and what about ride quality and rubbing?

eii
05-02-2009, 05:20 AM
Heres before, after, and after with 17"s pix:

http://www.inimi.org/images/fullside.jpg

http://www.inimi.org/images/fullsidelow.jpg

http://www.inimi.org/images/wheels01.jpg

Ride quality was not too stiff, almost felt like stock springs. I have no rubbing with my stock steelies, and no rubbing even at full turned u-turns on 17"s with 205/40 falken ziex-912s.

CtrlAltDefeat
05-02-2009, 05:34 AM
I have them on my sedan as well. I think I did a write up on them pre-hack. The ride to me felt the same as stock. It only was rough over 80 mph, but thats the same as the stock springs. I noticed a slight increase in handling, but even after getting wider wheels I am still not satisfied with its handling. I can definitely tell this is where a sway bar comes in, hopefully my next mod.

Btw did you cut your bumpstops?

rough over 80mph? After my Tanabe DF210s, before my rear sway bar, I had it up to 115mph (It was kinda an emergency) and it was rock solid... Every car I ever had felt floaty and any where near that speed (actually I'm not sure I ever had any thing that fast before). I had my 1.0L 3cyl geo metro up to 90-something and it felt like it was going to vibrate apart lol of course it was a geo metro :biggrin:

eii
05-02-2009, 10:25 AM
actually i dont know why, but i havent noticed a difference over 80mph anymore. Dunno what happened.

CtrlAltDefeat
05-02-2009, 01:51 PM
actually i dont know why, but i havent noticed a difference over 80mph anymore. Dunno what happened.

maybe they settled since then...

eii
05-02-2009, 04:01 PM
maybe they settled since then...

Yeah, it's what I was guessing. I also got 7" wide wheels now so that might have added some stability. Whatev's I dont care too much about the ride quality. :thumbsup:

PHXDEMON
05-02-2009, 09:55 PM
i left bump stops stock, called megan racing before i put them back together.

the car is def stiffer to me, i feel slight accelerations in every which direction while driving, the road pushing me and the car around in different directions. to describe it to people, i say, go-kart like.

a rear swaybar would def set the whole thing off, but i feel i need it much less now.

Do this. I installed a sway bar on my car and it made a world of difference.

CtrlAltDefeat
05-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Do this. I installed a sway bar on my car and it made a world of difference.

me too :thumbup:

Kaotic Lazagna
05-03-2009, 04:16 AM
Yeah, I had Megan springs on my GTI. Ride quality barely changed, but so did the ride height.

Pitt Yaris
05-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I had Megan springs on my GTI. Ride quality barely changed, but so did the ride height.

Yea, the drop looks like the nf210s, but I'm sure both are comfortable.

hafeez
07-15-2009, 12:43 PM
i got these springs on my sedan with tokico blues up front and stock shocks in the back. the front bounces a little bit while driving. i cut the bumpstops in half because I had the DF210 springs before and it was too much of a drop for me so i used back the same bumpstops. anyone know what could be causing this bounce?

weedtank
07-20-2009, 12:27 AM
i noticed you originally posted this thread back in feb. how are they riding now? did they sag past 1.5". last question, did they make your tires wear unevenly?

regal
07-24-2009, 11:13 PM
i got these springs on my sedan with tokico blues up front and stock shocks in the back. the front bounces a little bit while driving. i cut the bumpstops in half because I had the DF210 springs before and it was too much of a drop for me so i used back the same bumpstops. anyone know what could be causing this bounce?

You did it backwards you want the stiff shocks in the rear not the front.

hafeez
09-01-2009, 01:33 PM
the front is still bouncing a bit; not that much though. and they did not sag past 1.5". my tires are fine; no uneven wear.

i noticed you originally posted this thread back in feb. how are they riding now? did they sag past 1.5". last question, did they make your tires wear unevenly?

hafeez
09-01-2009, 01:34 PM
so would it be better if i put 2 tokico's in the back as well or is the front and back going to bounce then?

You did it backwards you want the stiff shocks in the rear not the front.