PDA

View Full Version : Does the Yaris come with.............

Driver
08-19-2006, 09:58 PM
I've read just about every forum and have found no reference to Daytime running lights on US Yaris'. I know they are mandatory in Canada and NY State recently made them mandatory. Does Yaris have DRL's?

hasher22
08-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Quote "First off, as of July, 2005, there are no federal laws in the US that mandate DRLs on passenger vehicles. If your dealer refuses to disconnect your DRLs, saying "they're a mandatory safety item," then your dealer is lying."

so do u want them or do u want to disconnect them?

Driver
08-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Quote "First off, as of July, 2005, there are no federal laws in the US that mandate DRLs on passenger vehicles. If your dealer refuses to disconnect your DRLs, saying "they're a mandatory safety item," then your dealer is lying."

so do u want them or do u want to disconnect them?

New York State now requires that auto insurance companies reduce their ... percent for residents who own cars with factory-installed daytime running lights

I want them :thumbup:

hasher22
08-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Does Yaris have DRL's?

I come from australia, but im 90% certain if a state in the US made DRLS compulsory for a vehicle then it should be installed when baught. But if you baught the car from another state that DRL's is not compulsory then u need to buy them and install em.

correct me if im wrong

Driver
08-19-2006, 10:49 PM
I come from australia, but im 90% certain if a state in the US made DRLS compulsory for a vehicle then it should be installed when baught. But if you baught the car from another state that DRL's is not compulsory then u need to buy them and install em.

correct me if im wrong

Below is the story of NYS and DRL's. You are right that they must be factory installed for you to get the insurance discount.

The New York Times

Automobiles

Sunday April 14, 1996 Insurance Discounts for Daytime Lights New York State now requires that auto-insurance companies reduce their premiums by 2.5 to 3percent for residents who own cars with factory installed Daytime Running Lights, which have been shown to reduce head on and side-impact collisions.

Daytime Running Lights – headlights activated by the ignition, at a lower intensity than the night beam, and stay on-are standard on many 1995 and 96 models. Chuck HURLEY, senior vice president of the Insurance Institute For Highway Safety, said 21.3 percent of the 1996 models registered in the United States have the running lights, up from 5.2 percent of the ’95 models.

Connecticut has not taken similar action, nor has New Jersey, although the New Jersey Insurance Department said that so far two insurance companies had voluntarily given their policy holders a 5% reduction in the collision premium for cars with Daytime Running Lights.

All three states require that headlights be on while windshield wipers are running, but Canada went a step further, making Daytime Running Lights mandatory with the 1990 model year.

Avis Rent a Car conducted a test in eight Northern cities in the United States in 1993; keeping records on 1,500 cars equipped with the lights, plus 1,500 control cars. The results showed that accidents involving the unequipped cars cost 69 percent more to repair said Demetria Mudar, an Avis spokeswoman. Accidents involving damage greater than $15,000 involved only the unequipped CARS, she said. Two-thirds of the Avis fleet is equipped with Daytime Running Lights.

Betsy Wade

riceboy
08-19-2006, 11:50 PM
I'm pretty sure they'll be equiped considering that a number of members in NY state have been disabling them....

paultyler_82
08-20-2006, 01:36 AM
All liftbacks with the cold-weather package have DRLs, Sedans, however, seem to be another matter, it doesn't seem to come with the cold-weather package on sedans, and I'm not even sure what sedan option package it comes with.

johnnyfive
08-21-2006, 12:06 AM
i do not belive they come on any sedans...but the cold weather package liftbacks is correct :)