PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Charged Normal Engine Temp.

Over40
02-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi you all,

I feel that turbocharged engines have higher temperature compared to N/A. Is this true?

Mine's felt hotter after installing the turbo. Even on easy daily driving conditions.

Would an effort to lower this heat (i.e. by installing an oil cooler, extra fans) have a benefit in increasing performance?

Appreciate your opinions and pointers.

tks.

CASTREX
02-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Increasing performance... NO

Increasing the life of the engine... YES

First you should install some temp gauges (oil , water) to determine how hot are you really running...
An oil cooler would be a nice addition for your turbo set up.

Radiator and stock fan on the Yaris are quite capable... unless you are tracking your car, they should hold up.

cali yaris
02-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Engine temp won't affect power, I think - but the temp of incoming air/fuel will. Might affect longevity though.

Do you have a water temp gauge installed? These little motors run pretty hot anyway. An oil cooler is an excellent mod to add to your car.

cali yaris
02-26-2009, 11:45 AM
^ haha, we were both typing the same stuff at the same time... :wink:

Tamago
02-26-2009, 12:33 PM
actually, engine temp does affect power

i've not seen any overly-hot temps in either my oil or water temp gauges.. yes it's warmer but not THAT much warmer

(i have a twin cooled turbo, i actually run the coolant for the turbo THROUGH the heater core so this may be why my car stays cool)

Over40
02-26-2009, 01:27 PM
CASTREX & CALI YARIS: OK, I'll install Temp gauges first to determine how hot.

I agree with CASTREX on proper cooling prolongs engine life.

BTW, why do we need both Oil & Water temps ... wouldn't either one represent the condition of the engine itself. I'd hate to clutter my A-pillar with to many meters.

Tamago: twin cooled turbo ... interesting? Do you have the thread showing the application?

O yes guys, oil cooler is already installed.

Thanks guys, very much appreciated ... I'll update after gauges are installed.

Tamago
02-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Tamago: twin cooled turbo ... interesting? Do you have the thread showing the application?

almost all OE turbo applications are twin (oil and water) cooled

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=197943&highlight=

Tamago
02-26-2009, 01:45 PM
CASTREX & CALI YARIS: OK, I'll install Temp gauges first to determine how hot.

I agree with CASTREX on proper cooling prolongs engine life.

BTW, why do we need both Oil & Water temps ... wouldn't either one represent the condition of the engine itself. I'd hate to clutter my A-pillar with to many meters.

O yes guys, oil cooler is already installed.

Thanks guys, very much appreciated ... I'll update after gauges are installed.

you could get a gauge display like this..

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DEFI-DF05101&Category_Code=GP-DEFI-AC&Store_Code=EM

that would cut down on clutter

oh and i installed my water temp sensor at the radiator outlet, not at the point the water comes out of the block..

my rationalization is, there's already an OE sensor at the outlet, why not keep an eye on how hot the water is going back IN to the engine?

Parmas
02-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Hi you all,

I feel that turbocharged engines have higher temperature compared to N/A. Is this true?

Mine's felt hotter after installing the turbo. Even on easy daily driving conditions.

Would an effort to lower this heat (i.e. by installing an oil cooler, extra fans) have a benefit in increasing performance?

Appreciate your opinions and pointers.

tks.

In theory Turbos can really reach high temps. There are many things to consider like the:

- turbo position (if its at the front and moving at 80km/h it will recieve a good amount of airflow, if its at the back, air is mainly restricted by the engine itself)

- if turbo is water cooled

- model & tech of turbo (Consider the smaller the turbo is, the more is activated with lower revs)

- Engine capacity (Consider temp of engine + turbo temp + ambient temp = total temp)

There are things one can do to reduce temps:

- Bigger radiator combined with a well branded water coolant
- Oil cooler with dual circuit to cool the engine and turbo in a separate link
- Consider upgrading hood and front bumper with vents appropriate for your setup
- Upgrade of water and oil pump for better flow

Altough some seems extreme I am quite more relief to have an engine with stable temperature which can cause future problems. Also agree with caliyaris about the gauges, a must to have oil and water temp at least.

Cheers!

Over40
03-01-2009, 01:27 AM
to Parmas: your suggestions are appreciated.

At the moment I am installing an oil temp gauge, and I am constructing an hood air scoop to vent the turbo (the turbo manifold is behind the engine block)

My assumption of getting temp lower comes from my experience, that on hot afternoons, I can only run my car max of 180kph, but on cool nights, I can get it to 200kph (same road...). Aside from other aspects (cooler air) and engine lifetime, I just want to assure that cooler engine provides better power.