PDA

View Full Version : SLIME Tire Repair Kit

tk-421
02-28-2009, 07:22 PM
[/URL][url]http://www.amazon.com/Slime-Powerspair-Piece-Tire-Repair/dp/B000YMP1SA/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t (http://www.amazon.com/Slime-Powerspair-Piece-Tire-Repair/dp/B000)

Anybody have any experience with this kit? I'm thinking about ditching my spare tire. TIA

Black Yaris
02-28-2009, 08:20 PM
if you do not mind your car vibrating to holy hell, it is ok

slime = moving weight in your tire, causing a MAJOR balancing issue

tk-421
02-28-2009, 08:29 PM
I see...
What if I were to do an even coat of slime on each tire to prevent flats? Would the even distribution help with the vibration issue?

kimona
02-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Looks like that kit takes up almost as much room as the donut spare!

Curious... why are you "thinking about ditching" your spare anyway?

tk-421
02-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Well, I don't want to have the kit on the car the whole time... Just the bottle itself I guess. But even if I were to have the whole kit in the trunk, I can at least tuck the box to the side... Plus I'm guessing it weighs less than the spare wheel/tire too.

Basically, I want to ditch it because of the weight benefits, and because I don't rub on bump stops as much (I'm lowered with NFs).

06vitzRS
02-28-2009, 09:22 PM
If you get a flat tire, no legit tire shop will fix it if it has that type of stuff in it. Most of the chemicals seep into the rubber and make it hard for a plug and patch to stick. So you might get out of a jam by having the Slime in there but if you do get a hole the tire needs to get patched, you'l be looking at a new tire. I will never run any of that stuff in my tires.

mikenacarato
02-28-2009, 10:10 PM
if you read the back of the bottle of slime, it states that it is meant to be a temporary fix and the tire should be replaced ASAP. ALSO during winter time, having the can in the car tends to freeze the slime inside and prevents it from coming out well.

Shroomster
03-01-2009, 12:18 PM
just keep the spare and make sure the psi is kept up @ 60

MadMax
03-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I would think Slime would ruin the tire pressure monitors as well...

And the spare doesn't weigh or take up that much room to bother removing it.

Just wouldn't be worth the trouble, if you ask me.

Cheers! M2

Danish Yaris
03-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi

I have seen the stuff that gets hard inside the tire, so it wonīt "travel" in the tire when you drive. GM uses that stuff as a standard instead of spare tire.
When it has been used you need to buy a new can, thatīs expensive, and then you need to buy a new tire as the old one is ruined of the stuff.
I would definitely go for the spare tire or replace tires with run on flat technology.

Regards Steven.