PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 4501 Platinum IR Fusion Spark Plug

daf62757
03-02-2009, 01:07 PM
I just installed these in my new Yaris. It was a quick installation and once I put them in, I took the Yaris out for a test drive.

I did this to see if the Bosch 4501 Platinum IR Fusion Spark Plugs would provide better gas mileage because some of the customer comments mentioned the increase in mileage as well as better performance.

Almost instantly, I noticed the increased power. The car was quicker off the line and seemed to have more power all the way up the automatics shift cycle.

I drive weekly to Chicago and back so I will be able to quickly see if there is any difference in the MPG.

Yar Is Word
03-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Great!
Have a nice trip!
Please update.

mimelio
03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
I used the Platinum +4's for 50,000 in my 2002 Echo (before the IR Fusion were out) and noticed a lot more zip and new life. Mileage was marginally better maybe .25-.5 mpg increase over the stock plugs.

jambo101
03-02-2009, 02:20 PM
More power better and gas mileage due to different spark plugs?:bellyroll:i suppose if you use premium gas and a few additives you will get even more power.Boggles the mind at Just how much power is possible?

daf62757
03-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Well I had my first trip with the new plugs. I think I am a little disappointed. I drive 70MPH and have gotten some rotten mileage lately and was hoping the change of plugs would make a big difference. I drove from Indy to Chicago and was about 50 miles from home when I reached the blinking led of my last gas bar. I filled up and the mpg was right at 36 MPG. Of course there could be a lot of variables in this...temperature...gas pump...but overall, I was not a happy camper!

TheUnGroomed
03-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Was this the first fill up after installing the new plugs? If so, tell us how the next few tanks are.

I doubt you'll see a huge increase in mileage because you have an 09, so the old plugs were probably in good shape.

Yar Is Word
03-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Here are some other plug inputs:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/search.php?searchid=432946

daf62757
03-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Was this the first fill up after installing the new plugs? If so, tell us how the next few tanks are.

I doubt you'll see a huge increase in mileage because you have an 09, so the old plugs were probably in good shape.

Yes. I am starting to realize that some gas stations have better gas. I used to drive a 4Runner and the gas mileage wasn't that big an issue. Now I am watching it like a hawk and have found..oddly enough...that the Wal Mart gas has given me really great mileage...while the better name brands...Shell, BP...haven't.

I am tempted to get a scan guage to be more accurate, but I have a hard time justifying almost $175 for something that could pay for my gas for almost two months.

BailOut
03-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Please provide mileage logs for at least 3 tanks before you changed the plugs out, and for at least 3 tanks after the changeover. You may need to track for a longer time to find the true difference, if there is indeed a difference. Even then we'll need to weigh the cost of the plugs and their lifespan versus any fuel economy gains.

I participated in a manufacturer's test for better MPG with the Pulstar plugs and they made not one iota of difference over the stock plugs despite costing 8x more, so I am skeptical.

daf62757
03-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Please provide mileage logs for at least 3 tanks before you changed the plugs out, and for at least 3 tanks after the changeover. You may need to track for a longer time to find the true difference, if there is indeed a difference. Even then we'll need to weigh the cost of the plugs and their lifespan versus any fuel economy gains.

I participated in a manufacturer's test for better MPG with the Pulstar plugs and they made not one iota of difference over the stock plugs despite costing 8x more, so I am skeptical.

I'm afraid I don't keep mileage logs. I just go by the last tank and my recollection of the tank before that.

As for the plugs not being worth the cost, you might be right. The plugs do provide better power....so if that was the only difference, it would be worth it. I would love it if there were better gas mileage.

BailOut
03-06-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm afraid I don't keep mileage logs. I just go by the last tank and my recollection of the tank before that.

As for the plugs not being worth the cost, you might be right. The plugs do provide better power....so if that was the only difference, it would be worth it. I would love it if there were better gas mileage.

Unfortunately, without detailed mileage logs we cannot trust any findings that you present. :frown: There are simply too many variables. I encourage you to start logging at one of the free sites that offers it such as GasSavers.org or CleanMPG.com.

And do you realize that you just came into a fuel economy forum and said that getting MPG really doesn't matter as long as you get more power? :wink:

daf62757
03-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Unfortunately, without detailed mileage logs we cannot trust any findings that you present. :frown: There are simply too many variables. I encourage you to start logging at one of the free sites that offers it such as GasSavers.org or CleanMPG.com.

And do you realize that you just came into a fuel economy forum and said that getting MPG really doesn't matter as long as you get more power? :wink:

Did I not get the memo that appointed you fuel czar? I said if these plugs give more power, they are worth it...in a Yaris! I still get good mileage....and if I get more power with the same mileage, it is worth it...TO ME!

You really need to stay on the OCD medications dude!

BailOut
03-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Did I not get the memo that appointed you fuel czar?

I do not appreciate your smartass remarks but I will respond to your question in the hopes of creating an understanding. I will simply detail why folks around here tend to listen to me when it comes to fuel economy.

1) All of the fuel economy related stickies in here are mine. 2 of them were stickied in the general forum for more than a year before this forum was created.

2) I discovered both DFCO (and how to exploit it) and the "Hang Time" technique, both of which have been adopted by the hypermiling community as a whole.

3) For more than a year I held every known record for fuel economy in the gasoline-powered Yaris and helped to educate the few folks that finally beat me. I still hold the record for the longest distance tank (562 miles).

4) I have participated in both the fuel economy version of the re-enactment of The Great Race where 6 of us set several new world records using 2 hybrids loaned to us by Honda and in the first annual World Fuel Economy Championships where I placed 3rd overall in the Honda Insight and 5th overall in the Toyota Prius.

5) I am repeatedly asked to help manufacturers test their offerings for fuel efficiency.

6) I have been interviewed by and featured in several local and regional news casts and publications as well as a Next Gear podcast.

As you can see this is a subject that I know a thing or two about, and one that I am passionate about. I will always welcome new ideas from folks but saying that something increases fuel economy without the proper testing to show it definitively only spreads disinformation in a field that is already littered with misunderstandings and lots of snake oil. I simply work to mediate the flow of information in order to separate the real from the wishful for the benefit of us all.

It seems that you are interested in fuel economy and that you are willing to try new things. I applaud you on both counts and again encourage you to begin logging your mileage not only so that you can properly test your ideas out but also so that you can track your own progress over time.

daf62757
03-07-2009, 11:39 AM
I do not appreciate your smartass remarks but I will respond to your question in the hopes of creating an understanding. I will simply detail why folks around here tend to listen to me when it comes to fuel economy.

1) All of the fuel economy related stickies in here are mine. 2 of them were stickied in the general forum for more than a year before this forum was created.

2) I discovered both DFCO (and how to exploit it) and the "Hang Time" technique, both of which have been adopted by the hypermiling community as a whole.

3) For more than a year I held every known record for fuel economy in the gasoline-powered Yaris and helped to educate the few folks that finally beat me. I still hold the record for the longest distance tank (562 miles).

4) I have participated in both the fuel economy version of the re-enactment of The Great Race where 6 of us set several new world records using 2 hybrids loaned to us by Honda and in the first annual World Fuel Economy Championships where I placed 3rd overall in the Honda Insight and 5th overall in the Toyota Prius.

5) I am repeatedly asked to help manufacturers test their offerings for fuel efficiency.

6) I have been interviewed by and featured in several local and regional news casts and publications as well as a Next Gear podcast.

As you can see this is a subject that I know a thing or two about, and one that I am passionate about. I will always welcome new ideas from folks but saying that something increases fuel economy without the proper testing to show it definitively only spreads disinformation in a field that is already littered with misunderstandings and lots of snake oil. I simply work to mediate the flow of information in order to separate the real from the wishful for the benefit of us all.

It seems that you are interested in fuel economy and that you are willing to try new things. I applaud you on both counts and again encourage you to begin logging your mileage not only so that you can properly test your ideas out but also so that you can track your own progress over time.

Ask me if I care what you care about. You are the one with the God complex, not I. You can always exercise you right to ignore my smartass comments, and I will exercise my right to ignore your dumbass comments.

1stToyota
03-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Did I not get the memo that appointed you fuel czar? I said if these plugs give more power, they are worth it...in a Yaris! I still get good mileage....and if I get more power with the same mileage, it is worth it...TO ME!

You really need to stay on the OCD medications dude!

Get it right. Not Fuel Czar...he's the MPG Viscount!! :thumbsup:

daf62757
03-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Maybe that should be the fuel Miscount.

eTiMaGo
03-07-2009, 09:46 PM
gee, remind us not to ever give you some helpful advice based on scientific method, have a little respect, dude...

daf62757
03-07-2009, 11:01 PM
gee, remind us not to ever give you some helpful advice based on scientific method, have a little respect, dude...

There is a little difference between asking for something and demanding it. As with most creatures on this earth, I give more when the tone is a kind one. When someone is telling me to do something and then questioning me like I am child, I will respond in kind.

daf62757
03-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Bosch in Japanese= bad, ...............................NGK/Denso in a Euro = Bad
Bosch in a Euro/American = Good ....................NGK/Denso in a Japanese =Great

How do i know this because first when I put Bosch 4Platinum in my Maxima , it drove like crap and the plugs were done after 15000km, and when i put back the NGK in it , it drove like a charm.

As I am not the scientist...just an average old dude who can tell when his car is getting good mileage and doesn't need hundreds of dollars in scientific equipment to know it...I can tell these plugs are OK. They give me more power but I haven't had them long enought to really tell if they give me better mileage. Some people need scientific testing to determine this, but I guess I am old school and judge from how much I am spending on gas to determine if I am getting better gas mileage.

daf62757
03-07-2009, 11:44 PM
ummmm ok... i was just saying that Bosch dont hold up too well in a Japanese car thats all

OK...you know how us old people are.....talk, talk, talk.

daf62757
03-07-2009, 11:44 PM
ummmm ok... i was just saying that Bosch dont hold up too well in a Japanese car thats all

But they are working well in my Yaris!

Yar Is Word
03-08-2009, 12:12 AM
What made you decide to try these plugs?

daf62757
03-08-2009, 11:40 AM
What made you decide to try these plugs?

I saw quite a few customer comments from people that had bought and installed them. They claimed they has a slight increase in mileage.

So I thought what the heck, why not.

Yar Is Word
03-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Ok. Thanks.

jack black
05-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Here are some other plug inputs:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/search.php?searchid=432946

I clicked and got this:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

OK?

mirapatec
06-19-2014, 02:16 PM
@daf62757: Are you still experiencing better results with these plugs? Any updates?