PDA

View Full Version : Snow getting stuck in frame/tires

3DoorYaris
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey Yaris friends!!

This is my first topic here and I just want to say that I’m loving the site and I'm learning so much about my Yaris!!:thumbup:
(You guys have awesome smilies here too!!!!:barf:)

I've had my '08, 3 Door, 1.5L Yaris since November '08 and I'm absolutely loving it! The only issue I'm running into is during the last snow storm (We got over 1'!!) there was a whole bunch of snow wedged up either in the frame or behind the wheels and at any speeds over 45mph the whole car shook violently!! I ran into the same problem when I.... backed into a snow banking back in December and had to get towed out :frown:. I fixed it last time by going to the car wash and getting the underside power washed. I guess my question is, is getting snow stuck under there unavoidable (Besides avoiding snow!) or is there something I can do/modify?

Minne_Yaris
03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
this happens to me all the time too living in Minnesota... i pretty much have to poke it out each time i get into a parking lot... i really think it's unavoidable but hopefully someone else has a better method.

silver_echo
03-04-2009, 07:57 PM
pretty much snow will cake into wherever it can... where i live, we got 5 feet in december(what is worse, that was all within about 1 week) my car was clogged with snow forever... finally got it cleared out mid january

MUSKOKA800
03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
If you car is shaking it is likely caused by snow packed inside one or more of your wheels which causes an imbalance that becomes evident once your speed increases. This is not uncommon and happens to all vehicles which are driven through snow drifts and snow banks.
Snow packed in the wheel wells and underbody should cause vibrations but can limit suspension travel so keep those wheelwells cleaned out while it's mushy and before it freezes hard like rock.

CASTREX
03-05-2009, 11:30 AM
..... Wrong forum section!! :laugh:

3DoorYaris
03-05-2009, 11:56 AM
If you car is shaking it is likely caused by snow packed inside one or more of your wheels which causes an imbalance that becomes evident once your speed increases.
Thats what I kind of though! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a Yaris thing I was unnaware of.

..... Wrong forum section!! :laugh:
I thought it might be. Sorry!! :frown:

RedRide
08-17-2009, 12:05 PM
It's another reason to ge rid of the stock hub caps as it's just one more place snow and ice can acumulate behind.

This is one reasone why I installed trim rings and center caps. They look nice also.

mrbond
08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Like others have said, it's pretty much unavoidable. Any time I had a huge ass collection of frozen snow in my wheel wells, I took the tire iron, wedged it in between the car and the snow (if I could, otherwise I'd just hit the snow a bunch of times with the pointed end) and broke everything apart. I had to do this weekly to keep from getting all that crap stuck in there.

auxmike
08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
SNOW! It's freakin' August!:iono:

JBougie
08-17-2009, 01:30 PM
SNOW! It's freakin' August!:iono:

LOL Hell, being in Minnesota I was almost thinking someone just started this thread and lives up by the North Shore - it wouldn't surprise me if they already have snow :laugh: