PDA

View Full Version : Car buying law for limit of time to cancel?

wiirenet
03-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know where to look up, or if there is a law (in Illinois), that when you buy your car on paper (just fill out forms), give a small deposit (but not the whole down payment) how many hours/days you have to cancel and get all your money back?

Heard there is a limit.. and then after the limit you lose what you paid if you cancel.
Thanks.

firebob
03-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Best thing to do is call a lawyer and get a few minutes of free advise over the phone.

I think you singed something that tells you about returning the car but don’t know what paper it was when I got mine. My paperwork is 900 miles from where I’m at or I would look at it.

Did you fill out the paperwork to order a car the way you wanted it? If it was a custom order it might be different because they would not have a VIN so you did not buy it. In this case you might have to pay for the packages that will not sell in your neck of the woods.

I think there’s a 24 hour law in the US for large purchases. But I’m sure there would be something about the damages the dealer would have by you signing the title and it now being used with a drop in value.