PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers - creaking sound from passenger front?

Gideon
03-13-2009, 01:13 AM
I had my Silk Roads installed awhile back and never really noticed it until now, but the front passenger emits a creaking sound, like that of an old wooden ship when I turn the wheel in either direction, lol.

It's a lot worse when I have a passenger with me. I have checked all the bolts to make sure nothing is loose and sorta eyeballed it, but I really have no clue what could be causing it. :iono:

YarisSedan
03-13-2009, 01:17 AM
I had the same thing comming from my rear springs. Trick i used is use synthetic brake lube grease on the springs that are the most tightly wound. Now the sound went away.

Russelt3hPirate
03-13-2009, 06:21 PM
I had my Silk Roads installed awhile back and never really noticed it until now, but the front passenger emits a creaking sound, like that of an old wooden ship when I turn the wheel in either direction, lol.

It's a lot worse when I have a passenger with me. I have checked all the bolts to make sure nothing is loose and sorta eyeballed it, but I really have no clue what could be causing it. :iono:

you installed the shims on the springs right?

preloaded to spec?

Crandall
03-13-2009, 07:05 PM
When you change your suspension geometry you're going to get some creaks and sounds. This is the case on every car I've worked on.

My coils squeak in the back from time to time, I don't even notice it anymore.

FunctionSpec
03-13-2009, 07:57 PM
The top rubber strut mount might be causing the creaking. Just need to lube it up with some grease but hardest part is getting to those strut mounts since getting to the bolts is a PITA. The rubber mount rubs up against the metal body every time you turn which causes a "creak" noise.

Gideon
03-13-2009, 09:35 PM
you installed the shims on the springs right?

preloaded to spec?

I didn't install them, this local tuner shop did.

Given he was unaware that the rear shocks were height adjustable, it's possible he didn't preload the springs to spec. Shims are on though, that much I know. :redface:

blacksandiegovitz
03-15-2009, 02:52 PM
I didn't install them, this local tuner shop did.

Given he was unaware that the rear shocks were height adjustable, it's possible he didn't preload the springs to spec. Shims are on though, that much I know. :redface:

Omfg why would you let a shop work on your car ??? Its sounds like its just the coils creeking when they're getting compressed in turns .

cali yaris
03-15-2009, 10:38 PM
When you change your suspension geometry you're going to get some creaks and sounds. This is the case on every car I've worked on.

I have the Silk Roads on my car - absolutely no creaking sounds.

ChinoCharles
03-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Omfg why would you let a shop work on your car ???

What kind of a question is that? :laugh:

blacksandiegovitz
03-15-2009, 11:06 PM
What kind of a question is that? :laugh:

I've just had really bad experiences with "tuner" and repair shops ef'n my car up , so now I just do all the work on my car . If I fuct something up at least it was my fault and didn't cost me 80+ dollars an hour for labor.

Gideon
03-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I learned my lesson I think.

I didn't even pay for the installation to be honest though, and I still regret it, lol!

blacksandiegovitz - I had a friend who owed me money and his "boy" down at this tuner shop installed them for me as a favor for him to pay me back. I was impatient and lazy when I got them in and so I took him up on it.

Supposedly it was $150 worth of work according to the shop manager. (Friend owed me $90). It certainly didn't feel like I was getting that much of work out of them. :laugh:

I'm probably going to check them out tomorrow to see what I can see down there. I need to jack up the car to take some detailed photos of how the calipers are attached for a hackjob OEM rotor/caliper rear conversion. :biggrin:

PETERPOOP
03-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Mine doesn't squeek. Good luck!

aeipee13
03-16-2009, 03:20 PM
I've never been in a car with coil overs that didn't start to creak and squeak over time. do you notice the sound goes away when it's raining or on a humid day? I know Sacramento is kinda dry most of the year. do you have any camber up front?