PDA

View Full Version : Racing suit

LtNoogie
03-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Ok, don't flame for asking what may sound like a stupid question but...

Do you normally wear a racing suit over your regular clothes or instead of?

The price range of racing suits is really wide. Of course I would not want to buy a $99 suit, but I also don't want to spend $1400 either. What should I look for in a medium priced suit?

I am thinking about enrolling in a race driver course later this year and they require a racing suit. They'll loan you one but I don't want to wear what someone has sweated for days in, even if it's been washed.

Thanks

Tamago
03-14-2009, 02:53 PM
check saferacer.com

LtNoogie
03-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks, that's where I saw all the suits for sale. I did not take the time to read any FAQ they may have had. I'll do that now.

HTM Yaris
03-14-2009, 07:01 PM
http://www.turbojohn.com/mall/index.php?cPath=66&main_page=index

This is the shiznit . These peeps are about 3 miles from my house . I can vouch for their quality . A+ , 100% :bow::headbang::thumbup:

I wear shorts and t-shirt under my suit . Helps absorb some of that sweat you were refering to :biggrin:

I also have a fireproof Helicopter flight suit which can be purchased at local pawn shops or military surplus store for about $10-$40 . If you don't mind Olive Drab

jkuchta
03-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Find out what SFI rating is required, and go from there. SFI 3.2A/5 (with nomex underwear) is pretty much a standard minimum for road racing.

Stay away from Proban suits. They're basically just treated cotton, and while they work fine when new, the more you wash them, the less effective they are.

I'm going to get the Nomex 1pc. suit from Crow. They run about $400, and the underwear will run another hundred or so. Its a good solid suit for about a third of the price of the competition (Sparco, OMP, Puma, etc.).

Besides, then you have a little more coin for good shoes and good gloves (the two most important comfort parts as far as I'm concerned).

PETERPOOP
03-15-2009, 01:59 AM
the thought of you in a racing suit cracks me up noogie!

LtNoogie
03-15-2009, 02:17 AM
Peter, you need a track nearby.

Hell, you should start with autocross.

PETERPOOP
03-15-2009, 02:37 AM
no no. No autocross for me. Definately not my thing. I'm more of a straight line kind of guy. I'm aware the yaris is totally the wrong car for that! haha. I know I know, I'm not using the car for what it dominates at, it's superior handling. Oh wells.

largeorangefont
03-15-2009, 10:37 AM
A G-Force $99 suit is fine to start. Yes, you would wear something like that over your normal clothes. They do make the undershirts you can wear under the suit instead of a t shirt if you wish but $50-$100+ for a nomex shirt is rediculous at this level. You don't really need a full Nomex suit until you have a cage, harnesses, window net, etc. If your car catches fire, you are just going to stop and get out.

I bought a K1 1pc Karting suit new on Ebay for $60 bucks, so look there as well. You don't need anything hardcore doing track days and autocross.

For more comfort than a 1 piece suit (1 piece is kind of a pain especially when it is warm), you could just go with a jacket and jeans, or jacket and pants.

If you want my recommendation, get a $60 G-Force jacket, and wear jeans. Invest in a 1 pc. suit later.

http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing-suits/g-force/?cat=53&manufacturerid=8

Saferacer is probably the best place to go.