PDA

View Full Version : Taller Gears

regal
03-19-2009, 01:52 PM
IMO one of the best cars ever sold was the old civic VX, it did an honest 50 mpg.

It had really tall gears.

I am planning on adding a LSD to my Yaris to help in the snow and was wondering if it is possible to buy a taller final drive ratio for the manual tranny ?

Tamago
03-19-2009, 02:19 PM
IMO one of the best cars ever sold was the old civic VX, it did an honest 50 mpg.

It had really tall gears.

I am planning on adding a LSD to my Yaris to help in the snow and was wondering if it is possible to buy a taller final drive ratio for the manual tranny ?

the gears from an ECHO transmission may work, but you're better off buying a complete transmission.

PM MORGAN about the issues she had trying to swap transmissions.

1. mounts are different
2. shift linkage is different

etc etc

also keep in mind, the yaris uses an 8 bolt ring gear, and echo is 6bolt ring gear so you'd need to buy an echo LSD if you're gonna use it on echo final gears.

yaris final drive: 3.72:1
echo final drive 3.53:1

360cubes
03-21-2009, 08:09 PM
I was wondering this too...but in my Pontiac G6 GT. I want to go the other way, increase RPM...not lower it lol.

Just to throw in an idea, the guys at www.richmondgear.com may be able to help, if not at least point you in the right direction.

From the articles I've read, I think the Yaris should have a six speed, with sixth acting as a second overdrive. The automatic saps power but mileage stays in line with the manual as it turns lower rpms on the highway.

LtNoogie
03-21-2009, 08:32 PM
The AT Yaris could use another gear before overdrive. It still revs too high a highway speeds IMO.

SailDesign
03-21-2009, 08:39 PM
The AT Yaris could use another gear before overdrive. It still revs too high a highway speeds IMO.

Then buy a manual.... :biggrin:

LtNoogie
03-21-2009, 08:45 PM
That ship has sailed.:frown:

Yaryaryaris
12-25-2009, 12:26 PM
the gears from an ECHO transmission may work, but you're better off buying a complete transmission.

PM MORGAN about the issues she had trying to swap transmissions.

1. mounts are different
2. shift linkage is different

etc etc

also keep in mind, the yaris uses an 8 bolt ring gear, and echo is 6bolt ring gear so you'd need to buy an echo LSD if you're gonna use it on echo final gears.

yaris final drive: 3.72:1
echo final drive 3.53:1

Please forgive my resurrection of this thread, but I've been interested in a taller final drive on my 07 HB manual. I remember my 00 Echo manual cruising at much lower RPM's, while my Yaris always seems to be dragging itself along with short, quick ratios.

I also monkey with 1st gen Metros (XFis) and the taller final drive in the XFi is probably the #1 reason they get far better MPG's than the base model. If the echo could be a trans/final drive donor I would be interested in doing it.

Has anyone had any experience with this since this thread was hot?

Thanks,
Brenton

YAR1S
12-25-2009, 01:09 PM

yeah..... it really does:thumbdown:

yaris-me
12-25-2009, 02:23 PM
I think the AT ratio is fine, especially for California freeway driving. Doing 80 all the time on the freeway, it's nice to still have power. A taller ratio will make the Yaris sluggish for California freeways.:thumbsup:

YarisSedan
12-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Well im sure the small compact lightweight design was designed and geared more towards city driving. Like for people who live in San Franciso. Thus the gear ratio.

Yaris Hilton
12-25-2009, 03:29 PM
In the hills around here it downshifts a lot at Interstate speeds as is.

Yaryaryaris
12-25-2009, 04:04 PM
okay, but I'm not talking about AT (thank goodness. Hate them) having a taller final drive with the manual would improve MPG's on long trips (all I really do) and it's my opinion that there's plenty of lower gears to make up for the taller legs (like 4 of them)

Brenton

Cosworth
12-25-2009, 05:26 PM
get taller tires...

Yaryaryaris
12-25-2009, 05:30 PM
get taller tires...

So i take it know one here knows a damn thing about this topic?

YarisSedan
12-25-2009, 05:46 PM

I think what it really is is not too many people are online right now but spending time with their family for the holidays. Try waiting till tomorrow or Monday you should see more replys.

cali yaris
12-25-2009, 06:08 PM
+1 to YarisSedan's comment ^

wow man, why do you think the tread needed resurrecting in the first place? (your word). A little patience would be a good thing. You're asking about something that no one on here has done.

meanwhile... There are alternate gearsets available from TRD in Japan, but they are shorter (for racing), not taller. I don't think you're going to find a taller final drive. You could have a custom one made.

Yaryaryaris
12-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I think what it really is is not too many people are online right now but spending time with their family for the holidays. Try waiting till tomorrow or Monday you should see more replys.

I figured that. My comment was more toward the "get taller tires" drive-by comment (which I already know and isn't helpful in the slightest)

I'm already finding info on other sights suggesting the sedan has a taller 5th gear than the HB? is this true?

Also, the 5th gear from the Echo is taller (as I suspected) and might be swapped out quite easy.

I'll keep looking around.

Oh, it IS Christmas day. Is that why all the stores are closed? Shows how much I pay attention to such things...:)

cali yaris
12-26-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm already finding info on other sights suggesting the sedan has a taller 5th gear than the HB? is this true?

Can't comment unless you share the source. Not as far as I know.

YarisSedan
12-26-2009, 01:24 AM
I figured that. My comment was more toward the "get taller tires" drive-by comment (which I already know and isn't helpful in the slightest)

Also, the 5th gear from the Echo is taller (as I suspected) and might be swapped out quite easy.

I'll keep looking around.

Oh, it IS Christmas day. Is that why all the stores are closed? Shows how much I pay attention to such things...:)

I see a lot of people who auto x get shorter tires and smaller rims to increase their acceleration. I would think the opposite of larger diameter rim and combined with a larger tire you would get slower acceleration but it would make it easier on your engine once you get up to speed. Thus lowering your rpms at highway speeds if thats your only concern.

A heck of a lot cheaper than tearing out your transmission and rebuilding it or swapping in another.

Yaryaryaris
12-26-2009, 06:07 PM
I see a lot of people who auto x get shorter tires and smaller rims to increase their acceleration. I would think the opposite of larger diameter rim and combined with a larger tire you would get slower acceleration but it would make it easier on your engine once you get up to speed. Thus lowering your rpms at highway speeds if thats your only concern.

A heck of a lot cheaper than tearing out your transmission and rebuilding it or swapping in another.

Swapping out the 5th gear in a FW vehicle is often quite easy. I've done it to two other vehicles without even removing the trans. The final drive gear would be trickier.

So far I've read that the echo has a taller 5th gear (by a little) and a slightly taller final drive. The entire trans. doesn't seem to be swappable from what I understand.

Boy do I regret digging this thread back up.

TLyttle
12-26-2009, 11:47 PM
The last car I had that would operate in the 45+mpg pulled 4 grand at 60mph. RPM has little to do with fuel mileage, it is how much fuel is used every time the engine rotates; not the same thing. It seems that everyone expects good performance AND high mpg in the same package; the Yaris is the best compromise I have found.

Taller, narrower tires ARE a viable solution, like it or not. Tall, narrow tires have less rolling resistance, better fuel mileage is the result. So, why isn't that helpful?

Kal-El
12-27-2009, 12:42 AM
get taller tires...

Actually Yaryaryaris, Cosworth is on topic.

He's correctly suggesting that using taller tires (larger diameter) will create less tire revolutions to go a certain speed than the standard size. Hence, less engine RPM needed to maintain speed. :wink:

That said, it won't make as much difference as a taller final gear of course.

Kal-El
12-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Of course the main reason why Toyota didn't put a 6th gear in is economics. It obviously costs more. And a taller 5th gear creates weak torque performance on the highway. So that's not the answer.

Most automakers are starting to put in 6 speed auto's in cars as a way to boost MPG but only in the middle and upper class cars. Econoboxes will be last to get them.

But when they do, it will do wonders for highway MPG. Yaris would certainly be EPA estimated over 42 and 45-50mpg could probably be achieved.

Brentorius
12-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Oh boy, now my forum issue writing/spelling style is being graded (always a sign of critical thought on the hunt for fault finding.)

Would it do any good to proclaim "You Win!" or will this thread just keep going?

As stated before, my "Does ANYone know..." comment was directed DIRECTLY at the "get taller tires" comment (me quoting it was a clue) any other chiming in that's NOT related to transmission gearing IMHO is self proclaimed forum masters broadcasting the pecking order for said newbies (no worries, all forums have them)

Q: did my use of the word "damn" hurt someone's sensitivities?

Please, keep pecking away. I'll keep reading, and feeling fully entertained...:smoking:

Or just drop it.

Not being graded, but you stated the attitude is reflective of what you have received. However, it was pointed out you made the first move.

Taller tires would help the gearing and would be a lot cheaper than replacing gears IMO

You claim to have information about the taller gears yet refuse to post it.

Yaryaryaris
12-29-2009, 12:53 AM
That's what passes for thread clean up here? Deleting my responses?

No problem going elsewhere, this forum reeks of shit....:bs:

TLyttle
12-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out...

Yaryaryaris
12-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out...

so original. You're a special guy....:headbang:

HTM Yaris
01-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Just so everybody knows , the correct phrase is " Don't let the door hit you where the Lord split you "

Oooookaaaayy , I'll STFU now

:biggrin: