PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running TRD springs with stock struts?

detroiter
03-25-2009, 02:50 AM
Just wondering what you guys think of the ride. What do you like about it and is there anything you don't like? Pros and cons?

pennyracer
03-25-2009, 09:22 AM
well it rides like shit with trd springs stock struts if you dont cut the bump stops !!!! if you call trd they will play dumb and act like you dont need to to that but if you want the ride back to almost stock feel cut the bump stops . if you run the trd strut and spring package i would not know about cutting the bump stops .

detroiter
03-25-2009, 10:51 AM
I wonder why in the instructions they give and also if you ask them personally, why they don't say anything about cutting the stops. I've been doing some reading and it seems that the TRD springs are a bit stiffer then the other springs of choice, so that it's much less of a deal about bottoming out, terrible ride, etc.

mrbond
03-25-2009, 10:56 AM
I wonder why in the instructions they give and also if you ask them personally, why they don't say anything about cutting the stops. I've been doing some reading and it seems that the TRD springs are a bit stiffer then the other springs of choice, so that it's much less of a deal about bottoming out, terrible ride, etc.

Well, the TRD springs and shocks were made to go together as a package. I talked to several different Toyota mechanics from a few different dealerships and they all told me that if I were to put on just the springs while keeping the stock shocks, I would need to cut the bumpstops to keep the stock ride quality; if I were to use the TRD shocks then the bumpstop would not need to be cut.
Before I put on my TRD shocks, the ride quality was not very good. Almost every time I went over a bump, my rear shocks (after the springs had settled) made this crashing sound. After the TRD shocks, no issues at all. And I never cut the bumpstops.

Now, if you can't really afford the TRD shocks, and they are admittedly a bit pricey, you can opt for the Tokico sport shocks from yarisuniverse.com. They're $306 including shipping.

yarstar
03-25-2009, 11:01 AM
There's a DIY (or was) on here on how to install lowering springs. I did cut my bumpstops just like it described and had no problems at all. If you do not cut them, the car will not lower in the front like it's designed to do with them installed.

BTW, I found the original TRD box with the packing slip still attached from TRD Sparks and have your springs boxed. I will be shipping in just a bit. I'll PM you with a tracking number very soon.

mrbond
03-25-2009, 11:13 AM
If you do not cut them, the car will not lower in the front like it's designed to do with them installed.

Well, this isn't 100% true. They will lower after their settling-in period. Granted, with the stock shocks, they won't lower as much as when you put performance shocks in; in which case it's uneccessary to cut the bumpstops. If you do keep the stock shocks, you should cut them.

Sparks Toyota-TRD
03-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Springs and Struts from us for a set is $595. That is the lowest I can go for you guys!

Tim

mrbond
03-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Damn. I wish I would have waited this long to get them. Once again, you guys are making these prices super good!

Sparks Toyota-TRD
03-25-2009, 12:07 PM
We do what we can here. We are a wholesale dealer so a lot of our prices will be cheap and some will be expensive.

If you need anything just feel free to contact us via PM or call 1-866-249-3607!!

Tim

detroiter
03-25-2009, 12:21 PM
It seems like a mixed review. Some say cut it or it won't be so great. Others say that no need to cut it and it's totally fine. I'm not really sure what to do :(

How would the combo of TRD springs and Tokico blues be? I'm going to use the TRD springs on the stock struts for a while until I can save for the blues but just curious what that combination would be like.

mrbond
03-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Lol, I recently swapped out my TRD shocks for the Tokico blues. Personally, I think they feel a bit sportier - this also means they aren't as smooth a ride as the TRDs.
For the bumpstops, I believe the consensus is if you plan on keeping your stock shocks, cut them. If you plan on putting new shocks in, like the Tokicos, don't cut them.

MUSKOKA800
03-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Lol, I recently swapped out my TRD shocks for the Tokico blues. Personally, I think they feel a bit sportier - this also means they aren't as smooth a ride as the TRDs.
For the bumpstops, I believe the consensus is if you plan on keeping your stock shocks, cut them. If you plan on putting new shocks in, like the Tokicos, don't cut them.

Interesting to hear your Tokico vs. TRD damper comments. This is the first I've read from someone who has experienced both and am surprised at your comment that the Tokico's are sportier. The TRD's in my sedan are much stiffer than the OEM set-up and I honestly cannot imagine driving the mean streets (pot holes and frost heaves) with anything brisker. I'm already concerned about how the well the Yaris' non-suspension parts with will hold up with the extra hammering sustained by the TRD set-up. In a net-shell, I'm hoping the car isn't a rattletrap long before it's time.

YarisSedan
03-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I have factory shocks with trd springs. Nowhere in the instructions did it say to cut the bump stops. I gave my coworker a ride one day who is used to driving bmws and other cars that have a comfortable ride and he comented on how smooth my ride is. Even though my car is lowerd. I think it only gets rough on higher speeds as the springs are progressive. If you have the factory bump stops combined with the higher spring rate it will boost your spring rate even more till you will start to get a see saw effect. But normal local street driving where the road is relatively smooth and the lower speed it feels pretty much like factory. I think the pro with the factory bump stops that if you high a pothole on the freeway you wont bottom your car out being the bump stop will not allow the travel for that to happen as opposed to if you did cut them. I am kinda curiouse how my car would feel if i removed them i may be singing a different tune. But i am kinda waiting till they are blown out first or 30k miles whichever comes first before i swap in tokiko struts and shocks and at that time i plan to cut them. Since i should be okay since they have a higher valving. There are many people here that will tell you its not nessisary and some that say it is. I think either way you go you should be okay.

detroiter
03-26-2009, 12:07 PM
I've been reading alot and I'm guessing that since the Tokico blues are more stiff and aggressive in suspension, there is no need to cut the bump stops on the Tokicos. They are designed for lowering and sport springs so they have much more resistance and much less likely to bottom then a normal OEM factory spring.

I'm thinking about buying some of the blues from yarisuniverse and just put them on together with the TRD springs, that way it's done right and done at the same time instead of having to do it twice.

RomGrr
03-26-2009, 01:19 PM
I've been reading alot and I'm guessing that since the Tokico blues are more stiff and aggressive in suspension, there is no need to cut the bump stops on the Tokicos. They are designed for lowering and sport springs so they have much more resistance and much less likely to bottom then a normal OEM factory spring.

I'm thinking about buying some of the blues from yarisuniverse and just put them on together with the TRD springs, that way it's done right and done at the same time instead of having to do it twice.

I'm pretty sure the aftermarket (TRD included) struts are shorter too. Please correct me if I am wrong.

mrbond
03-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah, generally they are since sport shocks aren't really designed to be paired with stock-height springs.

BLAZINBLUEVITZ
03-26-2009, 02:21 PM
I've got the TRD Springs on stock struts and the car handles fine...My bumpstops were not cut...

Cheers

im running TEIN's on stock struts now with no cut bumpstops as well.

jdinrc
03-26-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm with Echo and Blazinblue, I'm running TRD red springs installed by the dealer, with stock struts/shocks and I think it rides great. I can't imagine the dealer cut the stops.

tristan
03-26-2009, 11:25 PM
i didn't cut the bump stops when i installed my trd springs and haven't had any problems

Castaway
03-27-2009, 07:14 AM
I have TRD springs and stock struts, dealer installed, and my suspension never bottomed out, and i live in Quebec city! I don't understand why stiffer springs (TRD) would be more likely to hit the bump stops compared to stock; even more if stock struts are longer?!
Enlighten me, please

RomGrr
03-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Consider that the springs control the ride height. Therefore, with a shorter spring, the stock-sized strut will face a larger natural compression, even while parked. Less space between the wheel and the strut tower (which is the objective when lowering the car) means that the stock strut has to compress just to fit where it is supposed to. Shorter (and usually stiffer) struts do not have this problem because they were designed for lowered applications. There is no doubt that lowering springs place a higher burden on the stock struts. The stock struts WILL wear out faster because of this. Cutting the bumpstop is supposed to reduce the load placed on the stock strut by increasing the amount of room the strut has between the wheel and the bottom of the strut tower.

Make sense?

BLAZINBLUEVITZ
03-29-2009, 02:49 PM
There is no doubt that lowering springs place a higher burden on the stock struts. The stock struts WILL wear out faster because of this. Cutting the bumpstop is supposed to reduce the load placed on the stock strut by increasing the amount of room the strut has between the wheel and the bottom of the strut tower.

Make sense? IN THEORY yes, but stock toyota is tokico rebadges i think. just like new 2009 rav4 sport has tokico blues on it from factory....

spookz
03-29-2009, 05:13 PM
IN THEORY yes, but stock toyota is tokico rebadges i think. just like new 2009 rav4 sport has tokico blues on it from factory....

Someone had stock struts for sale the other day and said they were by KYB (had it stamped on the strut).

Castaway
03-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Consider that the springs control the ride height. Therefore, with a shorter spring, the stock-sized strut will face a larger natural compression, even while parked. Less space between the wheel and the strut tower (which is the objective when lowering the car) means that the stock strut has to compress just to fit where it is supposed to. Shorter (and usually stiffer) struts do not have this problem because they were designed for lowered applications. There is no doubt that lowering springs place a higher burden on the stock struts. The stock struts WILL wear out faster because of this. Cutting the bumpstop is supposed to reduce the load placed on the stock strut by increasing the amount of room the strut has between the wheel and the bottom of the strut tower.

Make sense?

Hum, not sure... maybe i misunderstood the inner workings of the shocks...:iono:
About strut wear, i'll wait and see ;)

Edward Chew
04-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi guys,

I'm running on Sustec lowering spring on stock strut and recently there are sound coming from the front when going down parking or during the compression of spring. Inspected the spring and found no sign of spring banging itself.

So got a pro mechanic to check and he found out that my car actually sitting on the bump stop! When the car rested on ground, we can't even more the bump stop up or down. Now I know why my car higher than the rear, the car was sitting on the bump stop all these while!

Will get it cut tomorrow and see what's the outcome. And good thread here strenghtening our doubt.