PDA

View Full Version : The last bar of petrol

signs
03-25-2009, 04:09 AM
How far can you drive when you reach the last bar when it starts to blink? I'm a paranoid driver and the most I've gone when it starts to blink is 10kms, and then I fill up.

I was wondering - can the last bar take you as far as the other bars (which, averages to about 70-80kms per bar for me).

Altitude
03-25-2009, 04:25 AM
When the last bar flashes slowly you have 1.6 US gals. left - when it starts flashing faster you have 1.1 US gals. left.

talnlnky
03-25-2009, 08:27 PM
i've done 50miles after blinking started.... if it ACTUALLY goes off at 1.6g then I should be able to do 60ish miles. I try to get gas though within ten miles of the blinker starting as I don't care to put more stress on the pump/filter and any other parts that supply the gas to the engine... Plus... humidity is high over here.... more air in the tank = more water in the tank.

SilverBack
03-25-2009, 09:46 PM
I'll usually see how far I can go before the blinking speeds up, after which I keep a sharp eye out for the next station

mryaris
03-26-2009, 01:37 AM
Why not fill up when it starts blinking, find out how many gallons (liters?) of fuel it takes to fill up then subtract that from 11.1 gallons (42 liters?). Then figure out your fuel economy and extraopolate how far (at least theoretically) you could have gone on the remaining gas that was in the tank when you filled up.

Example: last bar starts blinking and you immediately fill up. You put in 9.5 gallons and drove 350 miles.

11.1-9.5= 1.6 gallons

350/9.5= 36.84 MPG

1.6 * 36.84= 58.94 miles

You could have (theoretically) driven another 50-60 miles before running completely dry. This assumes that you can eek out every last drop of gas from the tank.....not sure how low the Yaris will go.

To be honest with you, on every car I have ever owned I purposely ran out of gas once, just so I could see how far I could go before running out (I had a gallon of gas with me, of course). That way if I ever found myself low with no stations around I could figure out about how far my range was before running completely out.

Just a thought.

YMMV though (pun intended)! :)

Forrest
03-26-2009, 05:24 AM
What is the purpose of waiting for blinking to increase? Why not fill when you get down to last bar?

NJBob
03-26-2009, 06:09 AM
To each his own. I get nervous as soon as the thingy starts to blink and go fill up. That's prolly why they designed it that way. But at least I know I have around 60 miles to travel to get comfortably to a station. hehehe :biggrin:

PreciousPups4U
03-26-2009, 07:02 AM
To each his own. I get nervous as soon as the thingy starts to blink and go fill up. That's prolly why they designed it that way. But at least I know I have around 60 miles to travel to get comfortably to a station. hehehe :biggrin:

Agreed. I have actually only seen the blinking thing a few times. Usually when I get down to 2 bars I get gas.

Drove husbands car on a short road trip the other day. Didn't realize he had almost no gas. By the time I could get off the interstate and to a gas station it was doing the fast blinking thing and had been for a few minutes. I was getting concerned as it was 11:00 at night and I was on the interstate an hour from home by myself. Oh, FYI it took 10.293 gallons to fill it up.

signs
03-26-2009, 07:06 AM
wow, 50-60 miles is pretty good. That's roughly the same as the other bars. That's really good to know. Now I know that I don't 'have' to fill up when I leave my house for work at 7am in the morning and rush to work - there is enough to take me to work. Kewl. Another reason I love the yaris :smile:

MadMax
03-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Heck, you people don't know how to live! Don't let your lives be driven by the blinking light, be like Kramer on Seinfeld and see how far you can go on a tank of gas!

RICK: We did! We pulled it off! I can’t believe it! Where’s the needle?

KRAMER: Oh, it broke off, baby! Woo, hoo, hoo!

RICK: Oh, Mr. Kramer, I gotta thank you. I - I learned a lot. Things are gonna be different for me now.

KRAMER: Well, that’s a weird thing to say..

RICK: I wonder how much longer we could have lasted.

KRAMER: Yeah, yeah. I wonder...hmm.

Cheers! M2

SilverBack
03-26-2009, 06:13 PM
What is the purpose of waiting for blinking to increase? Why not fill when you get down to last bar?

Because someday I want the AAA tow-truck guy to think to himself "I can't believe I'm filling up a Yaris... How much MPG does it get again?"

captainm27
03-26-2009, 07:59 PM
When the last bar flashes slowly you have 1.6 US gals. left - when it starts flashing faster you have 1.1 US gals. left.

Today I went to fill up...it stopped at 9.7 Gallons. The tank size of the Yaris 11.1, so, 11.1 - 9.7 = 1.4 Gallons, and YET, I still had 2 bars. :iono:

TheRealEnth
03-26-2009, 08:40 PM
yeah... lately when my last bar starts blinking... within 30 miles my car has stopped running... Its horrible =D...

Luna V 2.0
03-26-2009, 09:08 PM
My car is a bit odd. It goes from 2 bars to blinking. I'm not sure why it seems to skip the last bar.

I tend to tell myself I'll fill up when it gets to two bars, but I always wind up forgetting and then panic when it starts to blink. But I always fill up for less than 10 gallons so I know I still have quite a bit of gas left.

Altitude
03-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Today I went to fill up...it stopped at 9.7 Gallons. The tank size of the Yaris 11.1, so, 11.1 - 9.7 = 1.4 Gallons, and YET, I still had 2 bars. :iono:

Sounds like your gauge is off. The information I provided was from the owners manual and though I don't have it handy - I'm sure the word "approximately" is in there somewhere.

As with all things YMMV.

daf62757
03-26-2009, 09:59 PM
I wonder if the 09's are different. Mine goes from two bars to a blinking one bar.

Yaris Hilton
03-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Same here. I think it holds about 10.2 gallons shortly after that comes on.

stripey
03-31-2009, 08:56 AM
My 2000 (100000 mile) Yaris Verso goes from 2 bars to blinking one. First time I had it down low, it did 90 miles without running out from when the single flashing bar came on. But I have run out (embarrassingly) with only 50-60 miles from that point, and that with a normal mpg of 44. I don't think the bars in the fuel indicator behave at all consistently.

BailOut
03-31-2009, 10:25 AM
*nod* We have all found the same thing. The bars are not entirely consistent, and the top half of the tank lasts longer (according to the gauge) than the bottom half does.

stripey
04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
I wonder if the 09's are different. Mine goes from two bars to a blinking one bar.
My 00 Yaris Verso does that (UK spec) and I reckon to have 50 -60 miles. Once did 90, but have been caught out since trying to get near that and had to walk to the garage AND buy a spare can! :wub:

Kal-El
04-04-2009, 09:04 PM
My car is a bit odd. It goes from 2 bars to blinking. I'm not sure why it seems to skip the last bar.

I tend to tell myself I'll fill up when it gets to two bars, but I always wind up forgetting and then panic when it starts to blink. But I always fill up for less than 10 gallons so I know I still have quite a bit of gas left.

ALL Yaris's go from two bars to the last blinking bar (there's no solid last bar phase). :smile:

Kal-El
04-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Heck, you people don't know how to live! Don't let your lives be driven by the blinking light, be like Kramer on Seinfeld and see how far you can go on a tank of gas!

Cheers! M2

Here ya go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEdU_lrtZk

Classic! :biggrin:

MadMax
04-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Here ya go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEdU_lrtZk

Classic! :biggrin:

That's it! Now that's how you gotta drive! :headbang:

Cheers! M2

andaconda
04-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I just filled up after 40 miles of the last bar fast blink. It was my first fill up. 510 miles and 11.009 gallons. $1.99.9 per gallon. 46mpg! not bad for my first tank of gas.

SEVEN
07-15-2009, 12:19 AM
I got 160 miles out of my last tank .... guess its the intake header and exhaust .. or I must have something severly messed up in my car

Yaris Hilton
07-15-2009, 12:29 AM
The problem's usually with a loose nut behind the pedals.

SEVEN
07-15-2009, 12:50 AM
That used to be my problems, but I decided to quit speeding, so with this tank I havent been over 60 ... except that one moment where I did 80 but it was barely 2 minutes

Yaris Hilton
07-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Yeah, it's possible that changing the intake and exhaust could mess up your ECU calibration. I'd expect to see a Check Engine Light, though. Hot rod mods tend to inspire the rodder modder to use them, and zooming off from stops and hitting the brakes for the next one will suck the tank dry.

gammaray
07-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Oddly enough, wanted to find out as well, and I did today. As soon as the last bar started flashing I drove approx 1 mile and filled up. Took 9.959 Gallons. So for myself at 1.1 gal left I could go about 37 miles to empty. I have a bit of a heavy foot, but still get 34 mpg, with rarely any highway and running A/C. All good as far as Im concerned coming from prior performance oriented vehicles. Of course this is my deduction for my driving style. Love this vehicle. :thumbup:

yarisitis
07-26-2009, 11:10 AM
I've gotten 76 miles on my first bar, 37-57 miles on the middle bars, and 80 miles on the last bar.

Not very consistent.

watersoilair
07-26-2009, 11:33 AM
I pulled into a gas station almost immediately after last bar started flashing. I filled up and it turned out there was 4.5 litres left in the tank. At a rate of 6.5litres/100km (city) and 5.5litres/100km (highway) thats just 70 km in the city and 81 km on the highway. I haven't pressed my luck so far - but I did travel ~55km on the highway @110km/kr with one bar left. Based on what I've read above...maybe I did try my luck.

Who knows. With up-to-date oil changes, clean air filters and good air pressure in the tires you should get great gas mileage.

Keith Tinari
07-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I've gotten 76 miles on my first bar, 37-57 miles on the middle bars, and 80 miles on the last bar.

Not very consistent.

Mine acts the same way, I thought that it started after I out the rims on though. When I was still running the facotry wheels and tires I could get about 100 miles out of the first bar.

dg4rez
07-26-2009, 09:57 PM
you will blow your pump out if you put to much stress on it, letting your fuel get so low. Personally, I think its smarter to fill up before then last bar. As its like 300 bucks for the part + install.

MadMax
07-26-2009, 10:27 PM
you will blow your pump out if you put to much stress on it, letting your fuel get so low. Personally, I think its smarter to fill up before then last bar. As its like 300 bucks for the part + install.

So I've been driving for over 30 years, have owned several cars for almost ten years each, I have always allowed the gas to run low, and I have never repaired a fuel pump yet. Nor do I know of anyone who has had to do so that does the same. So please excuse me if I don't take your comments as fact!

YarisOwnersDad
07-27-2009, 07:06 AM
So I've been driving for over 30 years, have owned several cars for almost ten years each, I have always allowed the gas to run low, and I have never repaired a fuel pump yet. Nor do I know of anyone who has had to do so that does the same. So please excuse me if I don't take your comments as fact!

You probably didn't listen when your mom told you to change your underwear every day in case you were in an accident, told you not to play with sharp sticks because you would poke your eye out, and told you to stop making faces because your face could freeze like that. Well, Mister, when you find yourself in the hospital with one eye, a frozen face, and wearing dirty underwear, remember that your mom tried to warn you . :bellyroll:

highwaypass
07-27-2009, 09:31 AM
last blinking bar of mine = 50km

Keith Tinari
07-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Im at 310miles at 2 bars right now. Im going to stretch it as far as I can this time just to see.

IllusionX
07-29-2009, 10:20 AM
In Canada, when it starts flashing you have ~5L left.

Snyprwlf47
07-29-2009, 10:36 AM

Had a Blazer and only could afford a gallon at a time when prices went up...three days of that and the fuel pump was shot

You can really damage a car by running out of gas*Cough mryaris Cough*!
lol

Red Horse
07-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Gas station charge $1 fee when we use credit or atm card, thats why I wait for the last bar to blink. :)

Zaphod
08-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Gas prices fluctuate too quickly where I'm at (depending on what side of the river I'm on among other factors), so I don't like waiting until I'm forced to buy, and I really don't like having to drive out of my way to get gas.

Keeping an eye out for the least expensive prices along routes can really help, and I think it also helps to keep an eye out for trends as timing can be everything. i.e. weekends are generally higher than mid week and so on ...

Anyway, mine usually fills up between 8.5 and 9.5 gallons. I would agree that the bubbles are inconsistent, and I usually start judging by routes, trends, mpg, etc. around 3 bubbles.