PDA

View Full Version : Scangauge 2 MPG all over the place

gmodder
04-03-2009, 09:13 PM
This thing goes from 128mpg down to 20 back up to 50 its basically all over the place...Am i missing something here..

SailDesign
04-03-2009, 10:09 PM
This thing goes from 128mpg down to 20 back up to 50 its basically all over the place...Am i missing something here..

You're looking at "instantaneous mpg", not averaged. So Yes, it is normal. gong down hill, the car is using hardly any gas, and the mpg goes through the roof. going up hill, you're using a sh!tload, and the mpg goes way down.
I don't know scanguage, but i'll bet there is a "trip" mpg setting as well.

rningonfumes
04-04-2009, 05:54 AM
Yes, that's instantaneous. Get out of that screen with the 4 gauges and into the one that just displays MPG per tank or per trip... pick per tank if you want the most accurate. It will take a few tanks for the SG to get accurate.

jambo101
04-04-2009, 09:26 AM
What you need to do is activate the average mpg feature,its one of the X gauges. The real time mpg display has its uses to see where maximum and minimum gas usage occurs but for a steady mpg readout its useless.
The first time you implement the use of one the X gauge features it can be confusing so heres how to do it for the average mpg.=

From the home screen ( button with red around it ), hit more>more>more>xgauge

Now you can select the memory slot. If its already on 0 and this is the first xgauge you are creating, go ahead and hit the edit button.

You should now be at the TXD screen
Use the + and - buttons on the left side so that the first number is 0 Then use the arrow button on the right side to move over one space Now it depends on what trip function you want to use..
use the + or - again to adjust
0 - for current trip which resets every time you start the vehicle
1 - for today trip which resets after 10 hours of ignition off time
2- for previous day
4- for tank trip

on mine I have 01 for average fuel economy today

next hit the OK button
You should now be at the RXF screen
use the + or - buttons until the first digit is 8.
Then push OK button 3 times until you get to the name screen
Here you can pick any three letters to name your gauge.
I used AFT for average fuel today
Then hit save
Now you can go back to the home screen and hit gauge. Select which of the four spot you want the gauge to appear and hit the button until see the three letters that you just used to name your gauge.

1stToyota
04-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Not intending to hi-jack thread, but is Scangauge probably the one to get? I'm thinking about getting one soon and would like something pretty nice.

Edit: I decided to not be lazy and did a little research. I'll check on the Scangauge some more, but right now I really want this one.

http://www.plxkiwi.com/product/

talnlnky
04-04-2009, 12:11 PM
I just bought a SGII from Garm/MicroImage (Great seller!). Its great, hooked it up to the GF's 00 subaru legacy, found out that her CEL is a cat problem (p0420)... was expecting more to be wrong.

Hooked it up to my yaris... drove for about 40 miles so far, yeah, thing jumps around, a little more than I expected. I've gotten as high as like 70mpg in city driving with foot on the gas, or when you coast in N it can be as high as 200mpg...

I'm really surprised how much it bounces around while on highways with a constant throttle position on a level road.

Eventually i'll probably play with the Xguage to get it to do a bit of averaging, but really, I'm just trying to learn When & Why so I can find the best driving conditions first.

yaris-me
04-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Not intending to hi-jack thread, but is Scangauge probably the one to get? I'm thinking about getting one soon and would like something pretty nice.

Edit: I decided to not be lazy and did a little research. I'll check on the Scangauge some more, but right now I really want this one.

http://www.plxkiwi.com/product/

PLX Kiwi is more of a fuel economy gauge and is not geared like the SGII to monitor engine function. For looking at increasing fuel economy, the PLX Kiwi is better. If you're more into engine function and performance, then the SGII is much better.:smile:

1stToyota
04-04-2009, 02:39 PM
PLX Kiwi is more of a fuel economy gauge and is not geared like the SGII to monitor engine function. For looking at increasing fuel economy, the PLX Kiwi is better. If you're more into engine function and performance, then the SGII is much better.:smile:

Yeah, the SGII is nice because of the digital gauge feature, and the price is good, and I'm afraid the Kiwi will make a full-fledged hypermiler out of me :redface: ...one thing I do like about the Kiwi is the computer datastream sensor info. If I ever had a MIL code the Kiwi's sensor data might come in handy since my Genisys isn't even CAN compliant.

I also considered this:

http://www.auterraweb.com/dashdynoseries.html

But a Kiwi with a "fun mode" probably belongs in something like the Yaris.

Woody_Woodchuck
04-06-2009, 08:47 AM
The instantaneous MPG (impg) gauge is one I always use on my SG2. It will tell you what current Miles per gallon you are getting with the pressure you have on the gas pedal. It will jump all over if you are not careful and consistent on the gas. I try to keep it as steady as possible on road stretches.

If you are on the highway, you can lighten up little by little while maintaining the same traveling speed. Say you are cruising along and it reads 40 mpg. You can let off the gas a little, maintain the same speed and have it read 50 mpg. I also us it for my hill climbs. I know that I have to start out at 55 mph and press to 25 mpg to make a certain hill and be going 50 mph at the top. It’s great for back roads and the highway, I can judge how well the commute is going by the readings I get at certain points. If the numbers are higher than usual I must have a tailwind, if they are lower I’m pressing harder on the gas so must have a headwind or didn’t start the hill fast enough to maintain momentum.

With 2 button presses I can check the trip mpg. This lets me know how I am doing at that point of the commute. There are several spots on my commute I can check and see how it is going. If it is lower than normal I know I have to try a bit harder to make it up. If it is higher than usual, every little bit more I can get makes the entire tank that much better.

nsmitchell
04-06-2009, 09:05 AM
I love the ScanGaugeII.
I have 3 settings that I use and the 4th is MPH.
1 = MPG instantaneous
2 = MPG for the current trip. (XGAUGE) When you cut your car off for a few minutes, it resets.
3 = MPG for the current tank. (XGAUGE) When you fill up it resets.

With these 3 readings it is so fun to get your MPGs up.
I will post the XGAUGE formulas if folks would like them. They are simple and I got them straight from the SGII manual. (pages 28 and 29)

gmodder
04-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys I understand now...