PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical vs Electric Gauges?

PETERPOOP
04-05-2009, 01:54 AM
I was wondering what is the difference between manual and electronic gauges. Especially for Boost/vac gauges.

I know that for an oil pressure gauge, you need to run a line from the engine bay to inside your car. I was planning on using a steel braided hose and won't have to worry about it busting. My dad did that with his mustang and it's been fine.

The question is of accuracy. I heard that electric gauges are more accurate. What are you guys opinions on this?

Wanting to know because I am going to be purchasing my gauges soon, and electric gauges are more than double the price of mechanical ones.

Sorry, I'm a newb. I searched google, but they referenced muscle cars and what not.

LtNoogie
04-05-2009, 02:12 AM
Mechanical gauges are generally less expensive. You just need to make sure that your vacuum line is long enough to go through the firewall and reach the final location of your gauge.

PETERPOOP
04-05-2009, 02:21 AM
Thanks. Do you know about the accuracy quality about both?

LtNoogie
04-05-2009, 02:29 AM
I did a Google search with these keywords. I'm new to this myself so you'll just have to read the opinions and come to your own conclusion.

mechanical vs. electrical gauges

PETERPOOP
04-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Ok thanks. I did something like that and all I got were muscle car forums. Strange. Ill check it out. But was hoping for people with the yaris and first hand accounts. ok then

eTiMaGo
04-05-2009, 04:55 AM
well the main difference I guess is that with mechanicals, you gotta bring whatever you are sensing (oil, water, vacuum) TO the gauge itself. Which with electrical ones, you have remote sensors and a couple of wires to bring the information to the gauge.

So, in the end, it's a balance of price vs convenience. and keep in mind, do you want to take the worst case scenario risk of a hot oil or water line rupturing in your cabin, running down your dashboard and onto you?

yarisugi
04-05-2009, 06:04 AM
When I had a mechanical boost gauge, I sometimes had to re-adjust it because it wouldn't go back to "0" after I turned the car off - probably because there was still pressure stuck in the gauge/vac line. Electrical is the way to go now.

ChinoCharles
04-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Electrical gauges drive me nuts. They take a second to refresh if you know what I mean. I've never seen an electrical gauge that didn't.

Nexus1155
04-05-2009, 09:26 AM
I mean electrical is the way to go on gauges that don't fluctuate often like water temp bs etc. But on something on a boost gauge i wouldn't do anything but mechanical. Because if you're going to be in an out of boost so quickly the electronic gauge will lag slightly and you'll be like, what is my actual boost level?

Its nice to have the boost ping and stay and drop and etc. I am sure there is a more extensive write up around if you look for it..

Nexus1155
04-05-2009, 01:21 PM
you're right it must be a quality thing, because i have seen some very shitty electrical guages... i have yet to see some car with any nice gauges out of my friends...

LtNoogie
04-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Camelll and I are both using nice Autometer electrical gauges. I do not sense any lag at all. I have posted videos of my gauges in operation.

cali yaris
04-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Electrical gauges drive me nuts. They take a second to refresh if you know what I mean. I've never seen an electrical gauge that didn't.

Not with the Autometer gauges in my car. volts, water temp, oil pressure. Probably a good case for buying quality gauges!

jkuchta
04-06-2009, 01:13 AM
A gauge is worthless if it's not a quality gauge....

It's like buying a low quality helmet or seatbelts....why bother doing something if you're not going to do it right?

cali yaris
04-06-2009, 01:25 AM
If that's OBDII it's going to be very slow for any data you want to watch in real time.