PDA

View Full Version : any crash test yet...???

hhcchen
03-08-2006, 01:25 AM
ok...
we know how cheap and thrifty yaris is...
and we know how good it can perform with aftermarket upgrades...
but we don't quite know how safe yaris is...:iono:
anyone knows about any crash test being done...?
or, unfortunate to say... anyone self tested their own crash test...?

Sp33dY
03-08-2006, 01:42 AM
It's EASILY the safest in it's class in Australia.

----------------

The Toyota Yaris scored 15.2 out of 16 in the offset crash test. The passenger compartment held its shape well. There was a slight risk of serious chest injury for the driver and passenger.

The vehicle scored 15.75 out of 16 in the side impact crash test. There was a slight risk of serious chest injury for the driver. A further 2 points were scored in the optional pole test.

http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/?page=ancap_detail&aid=177&vid=7144&category=Small

http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/images/TOYOTA_YARIS.jpg

uraz
03-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Do you know Euroncap? It's the most reliable company in Europe. you can find all the cars crash test' and here is yaris!

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/ratings.php?id1=1

GabL
03-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Those test are done on a car with side airbag, curtain airbag AND knee airbag equipped. I wonder how the Canada spec vehicle will do in the side impact test.

Mad Munchkin
03-08-2006, 06:37 PM
ok...
we know how cheap and thrifty yaris is...
and we know how good it can perform with aftermarket upgrades...
but we don't quite know how safe yaris is...:iono:
anyone knows about any crash test being done...?
or, unfortunate to say... anyone self tested their own crash test...?

When I ordered last week, my sales guy said he'd just attended the safety seminar 'boot camp' for the Yaris and that it performed better in the crash tests than the Corolla :eyebulge: (yes, both the hatchback and the sedan versions of Yaris). Impressive...and I wasn't asking the question so I tend to believe him.

vicpai
03-09-2006, 03:59 PM
When I ordered last week, my sales guy said he'd just attended the safety seminar 'boot camp' for the Yaris and that it performed better in the crash tests than the Corolla :eyebulge: (yes, both the hatchback and the sedan versions of Yaris). Impressive...and I wasn't asking the question so I tend to believe him.

.....car salesmen say, but in this case I would agree ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!!!....I have done a lot of research myself on the Yaris, and even before I saw your post I was going to say that the Yaris is probably safer than vehicles like the Corolla, and then BAM I saw your post! :biggrin: ....literally took the words out of my mouth!!!

The Yaris is supposedly Toyota's first vehicle designed using their new proprietary MICS (Minimal Intrusion Cabin Structure) body, which is designed to Toyota's own internal standards, to withstand an impact with much larger vehicles. They crash tested it with a 2-tonne vehicle, which is the average weight of a mid size SUV!!! :eyebulge: .....what that means, is that the design goes waaaayyy beyond meeting the usual IIHS and EURONCAP standardized tests!!

To be honest, I'm amazed as to why Toyota has not done a better PR/Marketing job to advertise this breakthrough safety innovation. I've only seen it in a couple of obscure places (review articles in technical magazines etc.)

MICS is actually Toyota's answer to Honda's new breakthrough ACE (Advanced Compatibility Engineering) body structure, which is not only designed to channel and dissipate far more of the Kinetic energy (energy generated from the crash) than a convential body design, but also has some brilliant structure modifications (lower and upper reinforcements) to make the vehicle CRASH COMPATIBLE with other vehicles of differing heights (such as a Honda Civic crashing with a high riding SUV like a Toyota Sequoia) ......although I dont have any concrete facts, I strongly suspect that Toyota's MICS body is designed along the same lines as Honda's ACE body structure.

However, in sharp contrast to Toyota, Honda advertises their ACE body structure till the cows come home!!