PDA

View Full Version : Am I correct that the Yaris has an inredibly stiff chassis?

regal
04-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Just comparing to my last four go-carts - 328i, EH Civic, EG Civic, and MkII Golf.

For a lightweight car, and mine is still all stock it just feels like the chassis is very stiff which is good. Maybe's its because it was engineered to have good crash ratings, but I think a side effect is that the chassis is stiff which should mean good handling/track potential.

I don't even know if there is a spec for chassis flex that prove me right or wrong, but does anyone else notice this?

kngrsll
04-09-2009, 10:10 AM
yeah, i noticed...

ChinoCharles
04-09-2009, 10:11 AM
I have a confession...

I haven't had an alignment done in 60,000 miles. :laugh:

Loren
04-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes, it is quite a stiff chassis.

There's a spec for "torsional rigidity", something like weight/degrees of chassis flex or something like that. It's pretty darned small on most modern cars.

The increase in stiffness has more to do with the market's desire for/expectation of less NVH in a car. Toyota is trying to build a small car with the appeal of a bigger car. Those of us who grew up in the 70's-80's think of small cars as being cheap and rattly little things. Toyota (and others) is trying very hard to defeat that reputation.

regal
04-09-2009, 10:42 AM
. Those of us who grew up in the 70's-80's think of small cars as being cheap and rattly little things. Toyota (and others) is trying very hard to defeat that reputation.

I think the chassis impresses me the most, to bad they have it floating on absolute crap shocks/springs. The stock shocks/springs are so bad it makes me question investing in TRDs, both made by the same company/engineers, in my mind they could have made the same mistakes.

Yaris Hilton
04-09-2009, 11:00 AM
No problems with my springs and shocks.

regal
04-09-2009, 11:10 AM
No problems with my springs and shocks.

Your screen name just cracks me up:w00t: I picture you in your Yaris with a chiuaua perched behind your headrest.

Yaris Hilton
04-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Hanging there in its little Dooney and Bourke handbag, of course. Life in "The Real World."

dallas
04-10-2009, 02:43 AM
The other day I stopped on a side slope, after I opened the hatch, it would not close properly, I'm not sure if the hatch uupper mounts shifted or if the chassis flexes big time I was not impressed.

eTiMaGo
04-10-2009, 03:33 AM
I think the chassis impresses me the most, to bad they have it floating on absolute crap shocks/springs. The stock shocks/springs are so bad it makes me question investing in TRDs, both made by the same company/engineers, in my mind they could have made the same mistakes.

wellll the TRD shocks are apparently just rebadged Eibachs (as is most "TRD" stuff, a lot of badge engineering there)

MUSKOKA800
04-10-2009, 08:14 AM
wellll the TRD shocks are apparently just rebadged Eibachs (as is most "TRD" stuff, a lot of badge engineering there)

TRD springs may be manufactured by Eibach (many brands are) however the drop is 1.2" compared to Eibach's Pro-Kit with is advertised at 1" only. This would suggest that TRD set the spec. for whomever wound and painted the steel.

Lafiro
04-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Are you 100% sure they are the same?