PDA

View Full Version : Alarm/Security Recommendations??

static808
09-01-2006, 02:28 PM
greetings everyone! i was wondering if anyone here has an aftermarket security system that they recommend?? we would prefer to have a starter kill/engine immobilizer, keyless entry, and possibly a 2-way remote. thanks for any input!!

--B

riceboy
09-01-2006, 03:39 PM
http://www.compustar.org/

bigsky2
09-01-2006, 04:24 PM
AutoPage RS-860LCD
Six-Channel Alarm System with Remote Car Starter and Two Way FM/FM Paging LCD Remote Transmitter

Clarion S660
2 WAY SECURITY System

Compustar also makes good alarm/paging system security kits.

Make sure you get an experienced and good installer to get your security system installed, and always add more options to the alarm if you can afford it.

eflb55
09-02-2006, 12:26 AM
I gave the autopage system a look at: http://www.autopageusa.com/t_inside.cfm?action=products&catID=1004&prodID=fc4da653-7f35-48d8-9c9a-5f6fd435f2ac
and it does look very promising with all those features but I have some questions. My dealership recommended this one shop down the road (which is a multiple store company) and said that for keyless entry and autostart with install it would be 360. It looks like the price for this kit is about $140 (ebay mostly, retail it looks like near $300) so my question is that does this kit have a bunch of flashy junk features. What is the range and reliability of it? Also, how much would install be for this kit and what places do you recommend?

Thanks
Gerry

casterqc
09-02-2006, 08:06 PM
I still think that the best security systems are the homemade ones (when installed correctly), they're also the cheapest.:thumbsup:

Now it is funny because on each car forum their is always a "security system" topic...were you can't really find a good answer. The reason is simple...if you find a good security system for your car...would you really feel the need to share with the worldwide internet community?...I wouldn't.

But there is some basic things we can say:

- If you choose to install a brand name security system...please don't put the compagny sticker on your windows...it would be like giving your keys to the guy that want your car.

- The wires have to be well hidden, hard to reach. The switch also has to be well hidden (under the steering wheel is not a good idea). The more time it takes to the thieve to understand your system, the better it is.

- For a Yaris, a simple thing like a steering wheel lock (the club) could work. Yaris are everywhere! The thieve is always looking for the simple solution if there is one...so he will steal your neibor's car instead.

-Tinted windows can help avoiding those who want to steal what's in your car. In big cities, these are most of the time junkies...if they see something they grab it. It also sucks to break a tinted window...it doesn't break well.

-Lock your doors...doh!:clap:

-"starter kill" is not real good if your car is manual...the car can still be started. "Starter kill" is the first thing the thieve wil look for...because that's what most people have.

I hope that will help someone...:iono: :biggrin:

static808
09-02-2006, 11:17 PM
thanks for the heads up everyone!

--B

eflb55
09-03-2006, 12:38 PM
It seems like the two largest named brands are compustar and autopage. Can anyone maybe give me a good website with the pros and cons of each and comparisons of their models, preferably the compustar 2WSS-AS and 2W900FM-AS and the autopage RS-860LCD and the RS-750LCD. I am looking for the alarm with security. I'm looking for maybe half mile of range without a huge remote. Also, can I get the install prices if anyone has had these installed (just the install, not the kit and install together) and where you got it?

Thanks

Lowfront
09-12-2006, 08:55 AM
which one of these would be best for diy install, and manual remote start?