PDA

View Full Version : Rear defrozer

GabL
03-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Hi, just want to verify, is the rear defrozer on the Yaris timed? As in will it turn off itself? Coz the switch seems like a push button to me, it is depressed when activated. I never tried to leave it on long enough to come back up itself. :iono:

Sp33dY
03-09-2006, 05:37 PM
I Would GUESS it is NOT timed and you have to press the button to switch it off?

jdgriswald
03-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Check the owner's manual. More likely than not, it is timed.

jay
03-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Ah, good question! :smile: This is something for which Toyota has published contradicting info.

On that red-bordered window sticker, there is line explicitly stating "electric window defroster w/timer" under the "equipment on all yaris hatchback models" column. I don't remember if this was also mentioned in any other ad copy.

However, pg. 107 of the Canadian owner's manual states:

"To defog or defrost the rear window, push the switch. ... Push the switch once again to turn the defogger off. Make sure you turn the defogger off when the window is clear. Leaving the defogger on for a long time could cause the battery to discharge, especially during stop-and-go driving." [emphasis added]

The manual appears to be correct. I've left the defroster on as an experiment a few times, but I gave up and turned it off after 20-30mins every time.

Mind you that I haven't had a ton of experience with cars, but I find the lack of a timer extremely unusual :frown: We have enjoyed a warmer-than-usual winter in Canada, so the lack of a timer maybe hasn't been as annoying this year as it otherwise could be. I remember as far back as my parents' 1980 Chevette having a timer-controlled defroster.

GabL
03-10-2006, 09:16 AM
And I saw on Toyota.ca that Yaris HB is with timed defroster... so...

kralmrax
03-14-2006, 09:42 AM
the rear defroster on my 06 yaris rs will stay on until i push the button again. it's a bit of a pain, as i often forget that its on, and i don't want to burn out the switch or waste power. but it's only one of the few things i don't like about the yaris!