PDA

View Full Version : Yaris H.I.D. retrofit

sam07yaris
09-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Okay guys, as I stated before, I promised that I would do a retro on my Yaris and I did. I am happy with the results and during the process of my HID retro I noticed at the bottom of the headlights there is a square space with screw holes into it. I noticed that this resembles an HID ballast location for our headlights *OEM fitment* as well as the D4R classification implanted in the back of the headlight*hid bulb* also. Anywho, I took out the TSX projector and ballast from my old civic and aligned it plus blackening out the headlight. Now I can see a WHOLE lot better at night:thumbup: yay!
ENJOY!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/hellax5/P1010185.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/hellax5/P1010183.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/hellax5/2.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/hellax5/1.jpg

tca4
09-03-2006, 05:45 PM
WOW NICE JOB!!! You the man!:bow:

SimmZ
09-03-2006, 07:11 PM
If I understand right, this is a fully "homemade" custom projectors conversion?

Violin
09-03-2006, 07:57 PM
That do look sweet.

ECHOKnight2000
09-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Holy $#*&W$^* That's awesome!:bow: Oh dang it, I just got a hard on.:laugh: :rolleyes:

Very sexy!:thumbsup:

sam07yaris
09-03-2006, 08:37 PM
If I understand right, this is a fully "homemade" custom projectors conversion?

yes it is. Took about 5 hours or so. I can still use the OEM adjusters which is fine and dandy to me rather than making holes sticking out of the back of my headlights. I should take a pic one night to show you the difference of how an OEM hid parts have a nice spread rather than just an HID rebased kit that are knock offs

as400g33k
09-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Cool as...

slvryaris
09-03-2006, 10:02 PM
DIY DIY DIY......We needed a how to.... :bow:

sam07yaris
09-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Since H.I.D. uses less load on the alternator than a normal filament bulb, I am predicting that I will get a small percentage increase in gas mileage (Dont laugh guys). HID systems only use 35 watts after starting up compared to the 55watt to 65 watt loads from the halogen bulbs. Before my retrofit, I put my hands in front of the headlamp and felt tons of heat coming from the lens and now, I can barely feel anything. It feels like there is no heat emitting from the projector itself. This is why I love HIDs and ever since I bought my Yaris, I needed to retrofit it as a primary task so I can drive safer at night. My previous car *died on July 18 2006, had saved me from hitting a deer( i stopped way ahead of the reaction time) and the car next to me on a highway almost hit it. Another situation where I can easily find streets to my left and right in a dark road since TSX projectors give out such an awesome width of light *4 lanes of the highway lit up without blinding anybody!!!!!!

Here is the awesome width of the TSX projector at about 25 ft. It increases as I go further from the wall. :headbang: *R.I.P 96 honda civic*
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/hellax5/MVC-146S.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/hellax5/MVC-148S.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/hellax5/MVC-149S.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/hellax5/MVC-155S.jpg

riceboy
09-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Well it was due to happen sooner or later.. looks awesome.. nice conversion.. get us some pics when you get a chance....

riceboy
09-04-2006, 12:05 AM
btw no DRL's right? and do they support hi-low settings?

ChinoCharles
09-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Definitely some of the hottest headlights on these forums that I've seen thus far.

bigsky2
09-04-2006, 01:35 AM
That does it; I'm going to do a full retrofit HID conversion.

Thank you for the great pics.

riceboy
09-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Want additional inspiration.... look what this guy did with his Tc....

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75144&highlight=tsx+projector

Chris07LB
09-04-2006, 12:59 PM
:headbang: :headbang: :bow: :drool:

casterqc
09-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Good work!

A+++:thumbsup:

ScottFern
09-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Is the OP planning on doing any type of guide or step by step on how to do this? I am really anxious to try this when I get my Yaris this week.

IsLNdbOi
09-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Yes, where did you get your HID kit or the parts for it?

sam07yaris
09-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Actually, it's kinda difficult, BUT you have to know a little of fabricating when you open up the headlights. You have to TURN the oven to 290 degrees, wait 10 minutes. Get some Interior trim tools or prying tools. NO screwdriver Other wise you would warp the plastic. It needs a bigger flat end like a paint tool $1.99 at Sears. It's about 2 inchs in width and its sturdy. Then you need something in a 1 in or 1/2 inch width to help pry it open.

Get some CLAMPS. There are plastic clamps at sears so this ensures you that you get even pressure when you put it back together and no leaks will occur.

Get an ELECTRIC DREMEL tool. It's much more powerful than a battery operated.

Now just make a wiring harness

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6612

FIRST for beginners, Id rather have you practice on retroing on a junk yard headlights, no scratches. It's better to practice than ruin your investment thats $188 per yaris headlight. Ya know?

After dremeling the back end, you need to make some slight adjustments. The turn signal is a separate piece on the headlight, TRIM IT IF YOU ARE USING TSX PROJECTORS!!!!!!!!!!! Now all H.I.D. projectors come in different dimensions and sizes but for your best bet, buy valeo projectors or e55 projectors. They do not have fitment issues. I chose the TSX because it has a freaking WIDE WIDE beam and its clear lens *better clarity*

Go to Hidplanet.com/forums and study on how to mount projectors in a headlight. STUDY on it. I've been a member of this forum for about 3 years now, after I do my next retro on TL projectors, I will start other yaris owners as well.

P.S. Buy one projector online, and buy a yunk yard headlight, and practice FIRST. I dont' want to be pissed off seeing a screwed up alignment, lol

Blenjar
09-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Long time no see..

Thats a pretty sweet headlight man.
Was it easy to install?

-- Blen

Blenjar
09-17-2006, 11:57 PM
hey what if we pay u to do it for us...does that work?

sam07yaris
09-18-2006, 01:10 PM
hey what if we pay u to do it for us...does that work?

SURE. I know the whole procedure. I got this special trim tool that gets the one TIGHT ASS section to pry the reflector out. I got this down to a pat. Thats the hardest part with difficult precision, You do not want to snap it basically taking it slow. Thats how I found out.

Blenjar
09-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Well that's good to hear..When I get my Yaris..i hope I do im mail them to u I guess.
Im still thinking if I should take the 3door or sedan..college student.wat do u think? Lets not get off topic of your HID.

sam07yaris
09-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Well that's good to hear..When I get my Yaris..i hope I do im mail them to u I guess.
Im still thinking if I should take the 3door or sedan..college student.wat do u think? Lets not get off topic of your HID.

same here. Full time college and work. lol. I suggest the sedan. I prefer the room than the small cramped space for other guests and the stuff I buy from places.

Blenjar
09-18-2006, 10:53 PM
same here. Full time college and work. lol. I suggest the sedan. I prefer the room than the small cramped space for other guests and the stuff I buy from places.
Well thx for your suggestion.

-- Blen

sam07yaris
09-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Well thx for your suggestion.

-- Blen

well if you are interested, send me your phone number and we can discuss what type of setup you are interested in.. Now remember I have a Yaris Sedan and it would be hard if I have a Yaris LB customer since mounting points of the headlight are totally different. I am in the process of developing a headlight bracket that can be used universally for any car from the convenience of my living room.

Blenjar
09-18-2006, 11:41 PM
well if you are interested, send me your phone number and we can discuss what type of setup you are interested in.. Now remember I have a Yaris Sedan and it would be hard if I have a Yaris LB customer since mounting points of the headlight are totally different. I am in the process of developing a headlight bracket that can be used universally for any car from the convenience of my living room.

Sure no doubt. I'll PM u it.

sam07yaris
09-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Sure no doubt. I'll PM u it.
Yes that would be great. I would like to make it OEM as possible. Hence you would need to use e55 projectors which are bi-xenon.

tca4
09-19-2006, 04:12 AM
ahhh too bad i live in Canada otherwise i will pay you to do mine too!!!:bow:

sam07yaris
09-19-2006, 10:56 AM
ahhh too bad i live in Canada otherwise i will pay you to do mine too!!!:bow:

Well are they really that strict?? Do they even know a Yaris has HID as an option or do they have a book to say this car was not equipped? The ONLY thing backing that up is this= ballast location under the headlight. It is rectangular shaped with screw holes in it. Also a D4R designation under the H4 bulb section. So that tells me Toyota has ideas for the Yaris as an H.I.D. an option but in the future only.

wwwh355
09-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Well are they really that strict?? Do they even know a Yaris has HID as an option or do they have a book to say this car was not equipped? The ONLY thing backing that up is this= ballast location under the headlight. It is rectangular shaped with screw holes in it. Also a D4R designation under the H4 bulb section. So that tells me Toyota has ideas for the Yaris as an H.I.D. an option but in the future only.

Followed so many threads.
I still don no what is the legal buttom line of HID mod.
Maybe the full retrofit is better than just put two light blubs?
I mean it looks more ( factory)
So confusing.

tca4
09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
i guess they are not THAT strict, but still you dont live in Canada so i guess it can't be done

wwwh355
09-19-2006, 11:31 PM

I know TAIWAN version of Vios/Yaris have H.I.D. as an option which cause about US$800 more.
I believe yaris in europe got this option too

sam07yaris
09-20-2006, 11:25 AM
I know TAIWAN version of Vios/Yaris have H.I.D. as an option which cause about US$800 more.
I believe yaris in europe got this option too

Yup my assumptions were correct then. Awesome info. Although, I'd rather have projectors than the reflector style setup which we can all cross reference to the Prius.

IsLNdbOi
09-24-2006, 12:03 AM
sam07yaris, how would your method of installing the HID (parts, installation, etc.) be different for the Liftback version of the Yaris? I just joined HidPlanet and showed them the thread with Chris07LB's HID kit and they recommended I go your route instead.

I have no idea how to do this though and don't know what parts I would need to do a complete OEM retrofit on my Liftback. I would like a HID capable of high and low beam.

sam07yaris
09-24-2006, 12:18 AM
sam07yaris, how would your method of installing the HID (parts, installation, etc.) be different for the Liftback version of the Yaris? I just joined HidPlanet and showed them the thread with Chris07LB's HID kit and they recommended I go your route instead.

I have no idea how to do this though and don't know what parts I would need to do a complete OEM retrofit on my Liftback. I would like a HID capable of high and low beam.

just reference them with my SN samlindsay. <<< I hate this sn on that site but everybody knows me by that. EX g/f F'n name. LOL At least I didn't get a tattoo like some morons would!:thumbup:

Back to the topic:smoking: , I am goign to do a TL projector retrofit on the Yaris. Since I work at a CNC Machine shop, I will design especially for our Yaris' a special bracket in which, I will post instructions on how to mount without using soo many damn screws. But this special design will make it so it is easier for me to do many retrofits in the future. My boss says its okay for me to make up the CAD plan on the computer. What a hell of a boss I must say! If you are going to do it your way, then I suggest doing a search on how to mount a projector to a reflector. Good luck! If you need to ask any *or anybody else,*questions, PM me.

jeff_o
09-24-2006, 12:54 AM
hey why do you have to bake the headlight? i also saw someone mentioned baking in another HID thread. will that not melt the whole headlight assembly?

sam07yaris
09-24-2006, 10:42 AM
hey why do you have to bake the headlight? i also saw someone mentioned baking in another HID thread. will that not melt the whole headlight assembly?

The adhesive comes off easily

Just dont' bake it at 500 degrees unless you want to season it then its yummy.

250-300 is fine, but let the oven warm up first then put the headlight in. Max is 5 minutes per headlight in the oven

jeff_o
09-24-2006, 10:33 PM
eeewwww sounds scary using the oven... but i guess that's how it's supposed to be :)

w1ngzer0
09-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Nice conversion.

KSIbucky
09-26-2006, 09:00 PM
DIY DIY DIY......We needed a how to.... :bow:
trully yes post a link to it

sam07yaris
09-26-2006, 10:27 PM
trully yes post a link to it

GUys now don't get your panties caught up in a bundle. lol I will do another in about a month or so. This time with Tl projectors :slice:

jaesusu
09-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Woooooowww.... :wub: :wub:

That's great man! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh my... (speechless...) ..... ...
..... .. .. . . ....
. . ......... . ....
................... . . .

:drool:

sam07yaris
02-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey peeps! I just got the parts needed for the 2nd retrofit... stay tuned!!!!

Chris07LB
02-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Hey peeps! I just got the parts needed for the 2nd retrofit... stay tuned!!!!

:drool:

When we doing mine? :wink:

sam07yaris
02-17-2007, 02:37 PM
anytime anyplace bro! :-D I prefer fx projectors this time so I can use the bezel from the one i have in my current setup since the tl is 3 in in diameter compared to the tsx which is around 2.5 in

Chris07LB
02-18-2007, 05:59 AM
Id mostly like to do my Navigator headlights first... :wink:

keggo
08-01-2007, 02:20 AM
Can you please post some pics of the underside of the yaris headlight assemblies? I'm getting ready to retro my wife's, but I want to make sure I have the same ballasts that they use in OEM fitment... I'm assuming it's the stockier Denso D4S/D4R ballasts

marcus
08-03-2007, 12:09 PM
hey guys question.. do we have headlight bulb as 9003 or h4..which one is it!! thanks

steved
08-03-2007, 12:12 PM
stock headlights are 9003

Chris07LB
08-03-2007, 12:16 PM
9003 is H4.

2007 TOYOTA Yaris (Hatchback)

High & low beam headlamp
9003/H4

Front turn signal
7507A

Rear turn signal
7507A

Tail light

Fog/Driving light
H11-55W

marcus
08-03-2007, 12:21 PM
9003 is H4.

2007 TOYOTA Yaris (Hatchback)

High & low beam headlamp
9003/H4

Front turn signal
7507A

Rear turn signal
7507A

Tail light

Fog/Driving light
H11-55W

thanks chris... so 9003 = h4..hmmm interesting :thumbup:

Chris07LB
08-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Yea, there is always some number/letter code manufacturers will use to confuse the public.. :laugh:

gullmercy
08-31-2007, 03:33 AM
make one for me!