PDA

View Full Version : thinking of painting rims? ideas?

Klinton
04-15-2009, 03:14 AM
what type of paint should i sand the rims? anyone done this if so a step by step for best results? thans guys!

eTiMaGo
04-15-2009, 04:48 AM
for wheels, powdercoating is recommended, even with really good sanding/priming, paint's gonna chip away eventually. powercoating basically bakes a layer of color on the surface and is really really durable. Grab your yellow pages and find a place near you! Or find a DIY somewhere to try it for yourself if you have a big enough oven :biggrin:

WolfWings
04-15-2009, 06:11 AM
Or find a DIY somewhere to try it for yourself if you have a big enough oven :biggrin:

:eyebulge: Ack... careful, once you bake powdercoating in an oven, it's not even remotely safe for food preperation ever again. Only use an old junkyard oven, if you do the DIY route!

regal
04-15-2009, 08:41 AM
I am a paint engineer at Harley and in my experience powder paint isn't inherently better than liquid. The key with using liquid on wheels is finding a good chip resistant primer. Powder is used in production because of environmental regulation, not because it has better chip resistance. Go to your local PPG jobber and see what their options are.

Liquid will look better too, if you spray and sand right there will be no orange peel unlike powder.