PDA

View Full Version : Mesh Steering Wheel Cover... Toxic?

IsLNdbOi
09-05-2006, 12:22 AM
I went to Wal-Mart earlier to look for a cheap steering wheel cover and found one I liked. It was a black mesh steering wheel cover I believe by a company called autologix or something like that.

Only problem is that there was a warning on the back of the packaging that said something like "This item contains lead and other chemicals known in the state of California to cause cancer."

Anyone know what that is all about? Why would they sell a steering wheel cover that has lead in it?

Violin
09-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Just don't use it in California.

mikeukrainetz
09-05-2006, 02:17 PM
lol, f'ing hilarious

sroberts
09-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Just don't use it in California.

:laughabove: :bellyroll:

johnnyfive
09-06-2006, 01:53 AM
i am willing to bet there is lead in alot more things than you know, it is likley that somewhere in the manufacturing process it is in contact with some material that contains lead, and there is no actual lead in the stearing cover itself. But do to the current political climate they are putting the warning on there to insure that they do not get sued anywhere down the line.

recently at my work we had to switch all of are marking impliments (pens, wax crayons, paint pens, sharpies, etc.) to "certified" lead free ones so that we would not have to put similar warnings on our products. but at the same time 20% of our high performance bronze alloys contain lead...

Mario
09-06-2006, 05:06 AM
In a lot of restaurants and buildings in Cali have a caution warning similar to that effect posted inside. I see it nearly everywhere I go.

TrancosRt
09-06-2006, 07:22 AM
If we lived based on Cali's warnings, we would all be dead by know due to toxic poisoning from everything that contains "hazardous materials known to cause cancer by the State of California"...
Don't worry, it's safe or they wouldn't sell it otherwise.

paultyler_82
09-06-2006, 04:29 PM
I don't think there's a substance on the face of the earth that isn't known by the State of California to cause cancer.

Thai_Dang
06-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Lol wtf. Buy one that doesn't cause cancer then. I got one from 99 cents store, that looks pretty good, gives my car's steering wheel a two tone light grey/black that matches my A pillars. But maybe it also has carcinogens haha

I went to Wal-Mart earlier to look for a cheap steering wheel cover and found one I liked. It was a black mesh steering wheel cover I believe by a company called autologix or something like that.

Only problem is that there was a warning on the back of the packaging that said something like "This item contains lead and other chemicals known in the state of California to cause cancer."

Anyone know what that is all about? Why would they sell a steering wheel cover that has lead in it?

YarisSedan
07-01-2010, 02:38 AM
Little off topic but today i tried to order some valvoline fluid from my local parts store and its all been recalled. Nothing to do with the fomulation just california has some issue with the bottle packaging.

yaris2010RS
07-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Lol wtf, that's gay. Buy one that doesn't cause cancer then. I got one from 99 cents store, that looks pretty good, gives my car's steering wheel a two tone light grey/black that matches my A pillars. But maybe it also has carcinogens haha

sorry man, if u got one from a 99 cent store u only will have about 2 more weeks to live..... lol

jksjks

to the OP, like said above it probably has a tiny trace or even jsut a possibility of a trace. i use to play with lead airgun rounds and im still alive.....

TRDMarty
07-01-2010, 08:44 AM
It has lead in it?? :confused:
Does it make the steering feel heavy??
Just don't eat after doing any driving or wash your hands. :biggrin:

firebob
07-01-2010, 08:54 AM
California even says copper water pipes will cause cancer…

07-01-2010, 09:00 AM
If we lived based on Cali's warnings, we would all be dead by know due to toxic poisoning from everything that contains "hazardous materials known to cause cancer by the State of California"...

Don't worry, it's safe or they wouldn't sell it otherwise.

incorrect and total BS. walmart and other discount stores are ALWAYS doing recalls of cheap chinese products that have toxic chemicals in them

anything known to the state of california to cause cancer will cause can and will contribute to cancer in individuals who are susceptible

anything cheap and chinese at walmart should always be treated with high degree of suspicion

especially anything that will sit in the sun and bake off it's toxic components
into your hands and nostrils... such as steering wheel covers.

07-01-2010, 09:03 AM
I don't think there's a substance on the face of the earth that isn't known by the State of California to cause cancer.

kinda true...they go overboard.

Life will kill all of us eventually. living is a terminal illness

but at least some authority is giving us guidelines to make better choices, no ?

xen555
07-01-2010, 10:40 PM
are u going to eat your wheel cover???

IsLNdbOi
07-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Lol wtf. Buy one that doesn't cause cancer then. I got one from 99 cents store, that looks pretty good, gives my car's steering wheel a two tone light grey/black that matches my A pillars. But maybe it also has carcinogens haha

I don't think anyone has said it yet, but;

Holy thread bump! Did you look at the date of the last post before pressing the reply / submit buttons?

xen555
07-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I don't think anyone has said it yet, but;

Holy thread bump! Did you look at the date of the last post before pressing the reply / submit buttons?

So you are a steering wheels cancer survivor :clap::clap::clap:

IsLNdbOi
07-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Mods. please close this thread.

yaris2010RS
07-03-2010, 05:36 AM
y would u want this closed? what was the final result of this cancer causing cover?

IsLNdbOi
07-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Because it serves no purpose anymore. I am the OP of this thread and my question was answered.

Mods. please close this thread.